Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rather complex on-board air system (help, feedback, ideas, etc.)

UglyViking

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to add onboard air to my truck in preparation of a cross country trip this July. I'm running a full Thuren build and while I love the soft springs, I'd like to level our the truck for the longer haul and so since I'll be adding bags I'm thinking it's a good time to build the whole onboard air system, or at least make sure I don't go down the wrong path. I'm currently running a Viair compressor (can't recall which model) and while it works it takes quite a while to air up the 37s. I've heard nothing but good things about the ARB twin compressor system, both in speed and longevity of system. I've put together a list of wants and needs and a rough sketch of my thought process. I'm brand spanking new to onboard air, so I could use some pointers, perhaps this is easier or much harder than I expected.

Needs
  • Ability to air up/down bags without plugging a compressor into each. Has to have some sort of remote for turning air pressure up/down
  • Ability to mount air on "all 4 sides" for airing tires back up. (similar to the "wifey" air system that is popular in the taco world)
  • (not seen) eventually I'll be adding a set of lockers, so the onboard air needs to support that.
Wants
  • Ability to set memory for airbags. (unloaded, loaded, trailer hooked)
  • Ability to run an air tank for a train horn (because why not)
  • Run everything off a single compressor (obviously not at the same time)
  • Ability to control bags, air pressure "digitally" or at least with a digital readout
  • ability to control all functions (or as much as possible) from a single physical button switch
Crude diagram
air.jpeg

Other options I've explored or am currently exploring
  • I've looked at the airlift system, but it seems that the ARB compressor gets better reviews/ratings overall. I'm not sure how easy it would be to add additional items to the airlift compressor, although I've not dug deeply.
  • ARB LYNX system. This system is great in that it actually hits a bunch of items, not just the airbags but lights and other items. That said, I don't really want a touch screen, none the less one based off an android phone that will be baking in my truck all day, or that I risk having some kid thing is an actual phone and does a smash and grab.
I came across this build online that looks like it's leveraging the ARB compressor with the airlift kit, but I've got no idea how as it doesn't appear that airlift sells their kits without compressor. I also took some inspiration from fishnerds build for onboard air, obviously.

I'd love to just purchase the Airlift kit with everything, sans compressor, and then I'd have the ARB dual compressor running the bags with the physical remote (have a button to turn on the compressor), then have a few solenoids to turn on/off.

Honestly, the ARB lynx supports I think every single request I've got, sans physical buttons, so perhaps I need to just suck it up and deal, but I figured I'd reach out here and see what others thought.

el_barto

Reaction score
So the ARB pressure control system (not the full LINX) would work well for tire pressures…I’ve been thinking about adding it to my OBA system.
I would checkout @Fishnerd build he did a nice set up with ARB solenoids to add/drop air from the airbags.
I would run all of your “outputs” after the tank rather than just the horn.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Check out Timber Grove. They have some nice looking Set ups.
I did a quick google but it looked like they were basically the same as the other airbag kits. Maybe a viable option but doesn't answer my larger quesion.

So the ARB pressure control system (not the full LINX) would work well for tire pressures…I’ve been thinking about adding it to my OBA system.
I would checkout @Fishnerd build he did a nice set up with ARB solenoids to add/drop air from the airbags.
I had noted fishnerd's setup in my initial post, and agree that his setup is very solid. The main thing I was hoping for from his setup, was that I wanted more than a simple "up/down", I wanted the ability to define memory and see specific PSIs.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
I did a quick google but it looked like they were basically the same as the other airbag kits. Maybe a viable option but doesn't answer my larger quesion.

I had noted fishnerd's setup in my initial post, and agree that his setup is very solid. The main thing I was hoping for from his setup, was that I wanted more than a simple "up/down", I wanted the ability to define memory and see specific PSIs.
Ive been down this exact same path, before I ended up with my setup. Couple of insights based on experience of working on various rigs with the following systems:
-Airride (full setup) using their controller, is finicky and glitchy. Needs a separate remote or app (not sure if it was their bluetooth connection but even with the remote it would sometimes take forever to connect), PSI was inconsistent.
-ARB Linx, I would avoid, wiring the system is a nightmare. In theory system was good, but real world when something fails (and it will), there was no redundancy (i guess you could build in but you would really need to map it out).

I think introducing pressure control, is when the system becomes more finicky and more prone to failure.

I think you are in WA if I remember correctly? If you ever want to see my setup in person just message me, it may give you ideas for how you want to set up yours.

Cheers!

UglyViking

Reaction score
I had mentioned fishnerd as part of my inspiration, so his build is def where I got some of the ideas.

I like his setup except for the single fact that I don't wanna eyeball it every time. I wanna "push a button and go".

Ive been down this exact same path, before I ended up with my setup. Couple of insights based on experience of working on various rigs with the following systems:
-Airride (full setup) using their controller, is finicky and glitchy. Needs a separate remote or app (not sure if it was their bluetooth connection but even with the remote it would sometimes take forever to connect), PSI was inconsistent.
-ARB Linx, I would avoid, wiring the system is a nightmare. In theory system was good, but real world when something fails (and it will), there was no redundancy (i guess you could build in but you would really need to map it out).

I think introducing pressure control, is when the system becomes more finicky and more prone to failure.

I think you are in WA if I remember correctly? If you ever want to see my setup in person just message me, it may give you ideas for how you want to set up yours.

Cheers!
Quick followups if you wouldn't mind.

When you mention "airride full setup" do you mean airlift? If so that is kind of surprising as I've heard nothing but good things. They also have a v2 remote, so perhaps they addressed some of those issues?

Sadly, I did reach out to airlift and they don't offer a kit for their controller, you have to buy the whole setup with compressor, which is a bummer.

The wiring system for the ARB looks pretty simple, what am I missing? The fact that the ARB unit is a glorified phone is what gives me the most concern. That said, it does check literally every box.

My only other options would be to buy the airlift kit, and toss the compressor, or buy the airlift kit and then also run an arb, or run everything off the airlift kit? I don't know, lots of options here.

I am toying with using some of the ARB sensors and then building my own controller so I can have hard switches and a display, but man I'm not sure if I wanna go down that path or not.

Icky

Reaction score
I've been researching all of this lately and I've been leaning towards pac brake to control my helper bags, althoughi havent used them before. Once I get the truck I'll hook it up to my trailer and see of it's really needed. My plans are for on board air for my tires and filling the bags.

Users who are viewing this thread