Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raptor Style Amber Grill Lights?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Why?
Do you not have the clearance lights on top of the cab?

I'm glad RAM didnt follow all the other truck builders and add the lights on the 2500.
They are on the TRX, so maybe you could use those.

Be a trend setter, not a trend follower.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I've seen some tacos with them from the factory. Also Chevy is doing it as well.

But here's a honest question.

So if a truck is wider than X, it must have clearance lights. they are usually set up on top of the cab, 5 lights, 3 in the middle, one on each outer side, amber in color Hay hauler lights as my cousin calls them. You see them on all big rigs, busses, HD trucks , etc.

When Ford built the Raptor, they did 3 lights in the grill, but no outer light. Does that still meet the requirement for marker lights?

And now the TRX has followed suit, but put them in the hood scoop. Does that still meet the requirement?

If so, then could we remove the marker lights on top of the cab, and move them down to the grill or hood and meet the requirement? Not that I want to, I like my "Hay Hauler" lights.

And other manufactures are doing it as well, putting 3 amber led lights in the grill, even though their trucks do not require it. Latest fad I guess. :rolleyes:

el_barto

Reaction score
I've seen some tacos with them from the factory. Also Chevy is doing it as well.

But here's a honest question.

So if a truck is wider than X, it must have clearance lights. they are usually set up on top of the cab, 5 lights, 3 in the middle, one on each outer side, amber in color Hay hauler lights as my cousin calls them. You see them on all big rigs, busses, HD trucks , etc.

When Ford built the Raptor, they did 3 lights in the grill, but no outer light. Does that still meet the requirement for marker lights?

And now the TRX has followed suit, but put them in the hood scoop. Does that still meet the requirement?

If so, then could we remove the marker lights on top of the cab, and move them down to the grill or hood and meet the requirement? Not that I want to, I like my "Hay Hauler" lights.

And other manufactures are doing it as well, putting 3 amber led lights in the grill, even though their trucks do not require it. Latest fad I guess. :rolleyes:
I promise you the Tacomas are not coming from the factory with those lights. Chevy/GMC had some factory SRW trucks that had marker lights like a dually (Denali/C3 and Yukon XL with Quadrasteer).

The code requires the lights to be “as close as practicable to the top of the vehicle” …the TRX and Raptor don’t really do this being on the grille/hood, but seems they didn’t get any grief about it…maybe made the argument it wasn’t practical to punch holes in the roof or something for a low volume truck, or that part of the rule is lax, since dually a have their rear lights pretty low but near the wide part of the truck. Both do have the outboard marker lights, they are on the fenders, just not in a horizontal line3ED41F62-B4F7-4CEA-B665-76C8C19A991F.jpeg
3982CE56-679D-4ACA-A9E2-924AAD583F09.jpeg
1E80948B-D8EB-4A08-95F9-32237CC2F71E.jpeg

jadmt

Reaction score
As many tacomas as i see with the grill lights i just thought 5hey must have came that way. just buy a tacoma kit which there are many as i just googled it and install them.

el_barto

Reaction score
Most Toyota Tacoma/4Runner owners are just sheep incapable of original thought…which is why they all add the Raptor lights…and overpay for a ****ty truck built with components that were outdated in 2005.

ACLdestroyer

Reaction score
Why?
Do you not have the clearance lights on top of the cab?

I'm glad RAM didnt follow all the other truck builders and add the lights on the 2500.
They are on the TRX, so maybe you could use those.

Be a trend setter, not a trend follower.

I dont. Couldnt find one with the clearance lights and punching holes in my cab roof sounds like a terrible idea.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
OK,. Understand. Can you get the dealer to retrofit factory ones? Or too much money?

Or could you retrofit a set of factory ones? It shouldn't be that hard. I pulled my headliner down some in the back to run a antenna wire thru the 3rd brake light down to my VHF radio.

ACLdestroyer

Reaction score
OK,. Understand. Can you get the dealer to retrofit factory ones? Or too much money?

Or could you retrofit a set of factory ones? It shouldn't be that hard. I pulled my headliner down some in the back to run a antenna wire thru the 3rd brake light down to my VHF radio.

I think I'll give this some more thought. I'm not sure I want to do it really. Just wondering if there was a simple solution to make my decision easier.

ACLdestroyer

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just throw some 6" Hella style lamps on the front and be done with it. I drive in the fog/rain/snow alot up here in the PNW and lighting is never bad things. (Not a huge fan of LED light bars really.)

Users who are viewing this thread