Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram's Holding Some Late November to Early December (Possibly More) Orders Due to Quality Issue (threads merged)

sdu

Reaction score
Long story short, I ordered a truck that was built by 1/9. It got to my local rail yard on 1/20. Soon after that, according to the dealer, Ram pulled the truck away because of an issue they won't disclose. The general sales manager told me that it's being fixed in a plant in Detroit and the words to them from Ram were that the issue WON'T need to be disclosed because it is being fixed internally. It is not an open recall. The latest news is that it could be returned to them by mid-March. The information in whatever system that Ram and the dealer use shows that the truck has been delivered to the dealer by 1/26 and that's either all Ram Customer Care can see or are allowed to tell me.

Now I'm not sure I want a truck with mystery issues that by the time it is estimated to be back to the dealer would have taken over 6 weeks to be remedied. The truck is a Tradesman with the Hemi.

Safe to say I'm really disappointed by the way Ram not being transparent with their custom order.

Last edited:

jadmt

Reaction score
I know in the past I have heard that happening over frame issues. Some one recently posted about a brand new cummins that went caput during pdi. that certainly could be it.

Reactions: sdu

roegs

Reaction score
Could be a lot of things - from a customs concern coming into the US all the way to something mechanical. I would think that since RAM disclosed that the truck was being delayed / fixed, that they would disclose what the issue was. Hopefully RAM Cares jumps in on this. If it stays non-disclosed, I'd consider a re-order.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I have to assume that this isn't a one-off situation and the reality is that multiple trucks sitting on dealer lots would have had similar situations. I doubt any of those trucks have disclosures so people buy them with no clue as to the history. The variable here is the extra insight along the way.

I'm not in the situation, so it is all anecdotal, but had it happened to me, I'd have had to weigh waiting another 3 months for a new order, settling for something already built or trusting that they'd resolved whatever the issue was pre-delivery.

Basser53

Reaction score
May have been Something they caught on the production line [bad part etc] . They may just have to inspect your truck to see if yours has it and needs repaired.. might just be trying to figure out how many ,if any got out..yours probably isn't the only one it just fell in the vin range there looking at..just a guess.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Long story short, I ordered a truck that was built by 1/9. It got to my local rail yard on 1/20. Soon after that, according to the dealer, Ram pulled the truck away because of an issue they won't disclose. The general sales manager told me that it's being fixed in a plant in Detroit and the words to them from Ram were that the issue WON'T need to be disclosed because it is being fixed internally. It is not an open recall. The latest news is that it could be returned to them by mid-March. The information in whatever system that Ram and the dealer use shows that the truck has been delivered to the dealer by 1/26 and that's either all Ram Customer Care can see or are allowed to tell me.

Now I'm not sure I want a truck with mystery issues that by the time it is estimated to be back to the dealer would have taken over 6 weeks to be remedied. The truck is a Tradesman with the Hemi.

Safe to say I'm really disappointed by the way Ram not being transparent with their custom order.
I'm sure to them it's business as usual. I mean, any production has hiccups and they get fixed usually without the end user ever finding out. Since the truck was put on rail, it looks like transportation damage. Something like member 1FastHemi experienced.

Not sure you should be worried, but I would definitively inspect the truck extra carefully on delivery.

Or you could just walk away from the sale...

sdu

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge and thoughts. I appreciate them.

According to the dealer, mine is among a batch of trucks being recalled, it just happens to be the only one from them.

I should add that while I cannot prove everything that the dealer said is true, it's Ram Customer Care who turned me away repeatedly saying that the dealer would be my best source of information, so that's all I got.

As of now the dealer has ordered another truck for me but I really don't have a lot of extra time to wait for the 2nd truck if it was to experience delays. And while I have not completely ruled out buying the first truck, the fact that Ram won't say what's wrong with it and the amount of time it has taken to fix the truck just doesn't sit very well with me.

We'll see how it goes.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who offered their knowledge and thoughts. I appreciate them.

According to the dealer, mine is among a batch of trucks being recalled, it just happens to be the only one from them.

I should add that while I cannot prove everything that the dealer said is true, it's Ram Customer Care who turned me away repeatedly saying that the dealer would be my best source of information, so that's all I got.

As of now the dealer has ordered another truck for me but I really don't have a lot of extra time to wait for the 2nd truck if it was to experience delays. And while I have not completely ruled out buying the first truck, the fact that Ram won't say what's wrong with it and the amount of time it has taken to fix the truck just doesn't sit very well with me.

We'll see how it goes.
I think ram did good by fixing it before you start paying for it.... i would just buy it when the dealer gets it back the took the time to fix it right if its taking that long to get back...

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I think ram did good by fixing it before you start paying for it.... i would just buy it when the dealer gets it back the took the time to fix it right if its taking that long to get back...

I would disagree...Just not a vehicle that I would want for the next ten years. There is no way to tell if the issue was fixed properly. I am sure I would have to take delivery and buy the truck, but I would fight not to.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would disagree...Just not a vehicle that I would want for the next ten years. There is no way to tell if the issue was fixed properly. I am sure I would have to take delivery and buy the truck, but I would fight not to.
Whats the difference compared to a full on recall there was an issue they fixed it end of story.... they are not going to halfass a fix some of you people are ridiculous

sdu

Reaction score
Whats the difference compared to a full on recall there was an issue they fixed it end of story.... they are not going to halfass a fix some of you people are ridiculous
In any open recalls the issue and remedies are clearly stated. This is not.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Clearly something the factory realized they did wrong recently or a defective part was installed and found out after the fact, but still recently. Either way, they are trying to fix it before delivery. So they don't have to turn this into a recall.

If it was just your truck, it would means something really wrong happened. But in that case? I would still buy that truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its only clearly stated in recalls because they are forced to make it known what the issues and fixes are not because they want to

sdu

Reaction score
Its only clearly stated in recalls because they are forced to make it known what the issues and fixes are not because they want to

Of course, because the owner has the right to know. I'd hope that applies to the person who ordered the truck also.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Of course, because the owner has the right to know. I'd hope that applies to the person who ordered the truck also.
Lmao you guys are ridiculous they are fixing it so it will be just like every other one coming off the line nothing wrong with that

Basser53

Reaction score
Might be something really simple. You may never find out. at least they caught it and are taking care of it..

jadmt

Reaction score
what equipment did you order? can you post your window sticker?

roegs

Reaction score
You must be joking. Way too big of an assumption for me. I'd want to know if any repairs are made between the factory and dealer. Who knows, it could be something legitimate, but it also could be something that the new owner prefers to not accept. EcoDiesels had a similar situation some years back where FCA changed oil recommendations mid stream, and they were holding new ones so that oil could be changed. The difference is that it was public knowledge. RAM is holding this vehicle for quite a while if we're talking late Jan to mid March. Even the dealer seems suspicious if they've already re-ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread