Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAMBOX Fifth wheel Options for 3500

brettknudson

Reaction score
I love my Rambox. The last two 1500's I owned had them. I ordered a 2022 3500 Limited Longhorn Megacab with Rambox and would like to install the OEM gooseneck and puck system. I've seen video where folks have installed the Mopar gooseneck and pucks and the 7 pin trailer wiring in a truck with Rambox. I'd also like to add the 12/7 plug in the bed, which is part of the 5th/goose prep.

Has anyone done this or know the Mopar part numbers?

Thanks!

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I've ordered my 19 Limited mega cab with RAM box deleted (didn't want to sacrifice any bed space) and with 5th wheel gooseneck prep package. It arrived at the dealer without 5er/gooseneck package. There's been some back and forth between the dealer and myself and they tried to get off installing either 5er or a gooseneck so they are 2 separate packages you're looking at. Both of those were in a long backorder all over the country (beginning of 2020) so they ended up agreeing to pay a hitch place of my choice to get it all done, which was cheaper for them at the end and I've got a 30k lbs Curtis gooseneck ball with chain hooks as a bonus since they were a part of gooseneck package.
So as I mentioned they are 2 separate packages. Also dealer will be much more expensive, go to a hitch shop they will make it look as good as a factory setup.
I don't have a ram box but I've heard in some cases the 5er may kiss the ram boxes, do a research.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I love my Rambox. The last two 1500's I owned had them. I ordered a 2022 3500 Limited Longhorn Megacab with Rambox and would like to install the OEM gooseneck and puck system. I've seen video where folks have installed the Mopar gooseneck and pucks and the 7 pin trailer wiring in a truck with Rambox. I'd also like to add the 12/7 plug in the bed, which is part of the 5th/goose prep.

Has anyone done this or know the Mopar part numbers?

Thanks!
What are you towing? I have the puck system installed. I could give you the VIN then you could call the dealer for the part number.
If it's just a goose neck option you want... B&W makes a good setup.

brettknudson

Reaction score
I plan on full-time RVing this year, so I'll look at several 5ers, including the KZ Durango Gold 386. Needless to say, it's going to be in the 3000lb pin weight and 14000lb range. I'm not too keen on gooseneck since I'll probably need a slider with the short box.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I plan on full-time RVing this year, so I'll look at several 5ers, including the KZ Durango Gold 386. Needless to say, it's going to be in the 3000lb pin weight and 14000lb range. I'm not too keen on gooseneck since I'll probably need a slider with the short box.
3K pin weight??!!

Most of the new 5vers are curved in on the corners of the cap now to avoid the cab in a tight turn. I have a buddy that's using the Anderson with a short box 3500 SRW. He loves it. He considered a slider hitch as well but wanted something he could remove easily.

Here is my VIN - the dealer should be able to give you the part number for the puck system

3C6–3RRKLXNG–175073

brettknudson

Reaction score
I've been reading the pin box on the trailer can hit the side of the ram box in tight turns. I guess I didn't consider that when I ordered my truck.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I've been reading the pin box on the trailer can hit the side of the ram box in tight turns. I guess I didn't consider that when I ordered my truck.
Look in tiot he Sidewinder pinbox by Reese - I think thats the what guys have been using wit the rambox.

Woolfman

Reaction score
Yup better get you one of these sidewinders. Used mine last year but ordered a longbed so selling it now. They work great they pivot at the trailer not the hitch.
159480-1637954711-662801.jpg159480-1637954713-593302.jpg

Woolfman

Reaction score
@Woolfman I've heard pros and cons about the Sidewinder. Anything you want to share? TIA
It was mostly pros like tons of clearance from the cab and not worrying about the pinbox hitting the bedrail. Only con I can think of is sometimes I could feel a little shift of the trailer when turning one direction to the other just as it passed center. It could be that I had an undersized truck I was towing a 17k 43ft trailer with a 05 cummins 2500 shortbed.

Wileykid

Reaction score
@Woolfman I've heard pros and cons about the Sidewinder. Anything you want to share? TIA
I have the Sidewinder on my trailer. My driveway is about 7* slope from the road, and with the angle between the trailer and truck until the truck gets on the driveway, I am pretty certain the trailer would hit the cab without the Sidewinder, or a slider. I put the Sidewinder on my trailer instead of a sliding hitch to put more weight on the front of the trailer to increase the pin weight. My trailer (GD 320G) has a light pin weight for a toy hauler.

The negative is, getting the wedge tight. Even if the wedge allows the arm moves an 1/8", you feel the weight shift side to side on curvy roads. Some people complain about having to make sure you back straight into the pin, but I never found that to bother me.

teubanks

Reaction score
Hi @brettknudson - You may not be interested in Andersen set up but thought I'd pass along a write-up on my experience with my rig using the steel version. The link below outlines my setup in a 2500 with Ramboxes. I have a 3500 with Ramboxes on order and will use the same set up. I again will have to install the pucks in the new truck and add the 7 point bed connection but it is worth it for the overall convenience and operation.

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...w-lippert-rhino-box-king-pin.7442/post-137958

Will be glad to answer any questions about any of this setup.

wpgram

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is local laws if you plan on tandem towing. I was interested in an Anderson but the local laws do not allow anything but a 5th wheel hitch to be used when pulling another trailer behind a camper. Our DOT can be very sticky on these things.

Users who are viewing this thread