Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Introduces New Safety Package For 2020 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ram Introduces New Safety Package For 2020 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups:
New Package Available On Ram Heavy Duty Pickups and 3500 Chassis Cab Crew Cab...

RM020_087HDlamu621bfikp40aq46222q9og8-scaled.jpg

traildude

Reaction score
AAU is on my order from 1/9, it showed up on my build sheet on 1/10!!

RB18C

Reaction score
Sucks they removed the LED headlights and fog lights.

j_t_l

Reaction score
I wonder how the adaptive steering works?
Lane keep assist needs some type of control over the steering.

It would be nice if the 2019s could be updated to have lane departure warnings and trailer blind spot monitoring.

U

User_1648

I wonder how the adaptive steering works?
Lane keep assist needs some type of control over the steering.

It would be nice if the 2019s could be updated to have lane departure warnings and trailer blind spot monitoring.

Not sure how it's setup in the '20 trucks, but in my wife's Land Rover (with adaptive steering), it vibrates the steering wheel if you start to drift over the line without a turn signal on.

On another note - I bought a 2019 Ram 3500 Limited back in December and mine came with all of the items listed in the new AAU safety group with the exception of the "Lane Keep Assist (includes Adaptive Steering)". I verified this through my build sheet and compared it to the '20 Safety Group Package (AAU). Does anyone have their 2020 Ram yet with the AAU package? I would be interested in hearing about this feature.

Tim

j_t_l

Reaction score
Not sure how it's setup in the '20 trucks, but in my wife's Land Rover (with adaptive steering), it vibrates the steering wheel if you start to drift over the line without a turn signal on.

I don't know about ram, but typical industry in parlance: Lane keep assist should have the option of nudging the car back into the lane. I've driven a few other cars with the feature. The nicest versions I'd describe as.... You know when there's road construction and one lane is paved a couple inches higher than the other lane? Switching lanes needs just a little extra oomph from the steering wheel when switching to the higher lane. Some types of adaptive steering feel just like that.

Other types of lane keep assist have tried to drive me off the road or into other cars. It was aggressive and scary. Really annoying.

"Lane departure warning" is like what you describe. It lets you know you're driving out of a lane, but doesn't take any corrective action.

On another note - I bought a 2019 Ram 3500 Limited back in December and mine came with all of the items listed in the new AAU safety group with the exception of the "Lane Keep Assist (includes Adaptive Steering)". I verified this through my build sheet and compared it to the '20 Safety Group Package (AAU).
Me too! Tho 2500.

The 2019s also don't have blind spot monitoring for trailers.
The 2020s are supposed to automatically figure out how long your trailer is, and adjust the blind spot monitoring to let you know if you're about to squish a Prius which is behind the truck but still next to the trailer.

Last edited:

Marshfly

Reaction score
My wife has a Grand Cherokee with Lane Assist. It's a gentle nudge. You can actually go down the road with no hands on the wheel but it looks like you're drunk. Do that long enough and the car starts beeping at you to put your hands back on the wheel.

The Ram will use the same tech so it will behave exactly the same way.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Hopefully a software update and the 19s will have all thouse options... Mine has most tho but would b nice to get all

j_t_l

Reaction score
Hopefully a software update and the 19s will have all thouse options... Mine has most tho but would b nice to get all
Lane Keep Assist requires the truck to have some type of control over the steering. The 2019 RAM HDs don't have that.

It might be possible to add Lane Departure Warnings (a chime / ding when you drift out of a lane). But I really doubt RAM will every update anything like that.

RB18C

Reaction score
Lane Keep Assist requires the truck to have some type of control over the steering. The 2019 RAM HDs don't have that.

It might be possible to add Lane Departure Warnings (a chime / ding when you drift out of a lane). But I really doubt RAM will every update anything like that.
My 2020 3500 absolutely have control over my steering. It’s actually kind of annoying.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I don't know about ram, but typical industry in parlance: Lane keep assist should have the option of nudging the car back into the lane. I've driven a few other cars with the feature. The nicest versions I'd describe as.... You know when there's road construction and one lane is paved a couple inches higher than the other lane? Switching lanes needs just a little extra oomph from the steering wheel when switching to the higher lane. Some types of adaptive steering feel just like that.

Other types of lane keep assist have tried to drive me off the road or into other cars. It was aggressive and scary. Really annoying.

"Lane departure warning" is like what you describe. It lets you know you're driving out of a lane, but doesn't take any corrective action.

Me too! Tho 2500.

The 2020s are supposed to automatically figure out how long your trailer is, and adjust the blind spot monitoring to let you know if you're about to squish a Prius which is behind the truck but still next to the trailer.
squishing a Prius or too may not be all bad......

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

The blind spot can be left in auto or set to max 38.5 (IIRC). They say it doesn't work with a fifth wheel but I haven't towed mine yet to evaluate.

RB18C

Reaction score
I have a 2020 with that package . It has LED head lights and LED fog lights
That’s weird. I also have a 2020 with the safety group. And I do not have LED headlights. Wish I did.

Users who are viewing this thread