Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM HD's - Whats coming for 2021?

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
While I know its early, just wondering if anybody has heard what is in store for RAM HD's in 2021. There is a guy on YouTube that claims that a true 5th generation cab will be on the HD's. While I do love the 5th gen cab on the 1500 I would really miss the MegaCab. Glad I bought in 2020 and got the Mega. What are you guys hearing regarding 2021?

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Don’t believe randos on YouTube. The only rumors that carried any water had to do with an updated uconnect and updated cab (from the 1500s); but there’s no confirmed timeline on either of those things (could be released in 2021 for 2022MY) and they don’t preclude the megacab. You’re going to see a lot of product schedules slip or be modified due to our current economic state.

TFL truck, as weird as those guys are at times, tend not to just make stuff up for clicks. They’ve got the industry rumor mill going for them and at least try to base it in reality.

OA

Last edited:

MikeXM

Reaction score
Anyway, what we know so far is next gen will have the 5th gen cab, a new uconnect system and a new transmission for the HO or maybe both diesels (that is if they keep selling SO/HO).

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I saw that video too. I mean it makes sense since they are planning to move production to Michigan from Mexico, so we’ll see. I’d really like to see it happen. A 5th gen cab with a twin panel moonroof and a competitive transmission to match GM and Ford, I’m all in!

D

Deleted member 80

They reversed course on moving HD production. Last word was HDs will continue to be built at Saltillo.

D

Deleted member 80

Where did you read that?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Oh well. I hope they actually make it a true 5th gen then at some point in the near future.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Anyway, what we know so far is next gen will have the 5th gen cab, a new uconnect system and a new transmission for the HO or maybe both diesels (that is if they keep selling SO/HO).

Apparently Allison’s exclusive with GM is ending and ZF had a heavy duty in the works as well. I think both have been testing with the 6.7 HO.

OA

@JC

Reaction score
I sincerely think they will come out with a MegaCab version of the 5th gen cab. I know some have said the current would be the last of the MegaCab but I doubt it. It is a popular option for sure.

To me, a real truck has a MegaCab. :cool:
Not knocking them and I know you MegaCab guys love them but only between 9-11% of all 2500/3500s are MegaCab year to year. It's highly likely, if a new cab comes out with significant extra room like the 1500, that they won't keep such a low volume additional cab option.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Not knocking them and I know you MegaCab guys love them but only between 9-11% of all 2500/3500s are MegaCab year to year. It's highly likely, if a new cab comes out with significant extra room like the 1500, that they won't keep such a low volume additional cab option.
You hater! :p

BTW, my guess is that the HD segment is also just 10% of the market. Should they only produce 1500s?

I'm well aware it's a low volume option. But, it might be enough of a novelty to keep buyers from jumping ship.
Also we DO pay to have it (most expensive RAM), so there is some money to be made or at least for them to break even. Still a good marketing incentive.

I asked my dealer about it and he said that those who had one don't even want to consider anything else. And it is pretty much how I feel.

Every new gen has the same rumors of the megacab disappearing. So far, so good. We shall see.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
IMO , trucks are meant for hauling, don't understand why anyone would buy one thats not HD, but i also dont share everyone's opinion either an i know that. They can keep the mega, I'll take the crew drw hd ho with an 8ft bed. Now that's a rig

@JC

Reaction score
I get ya, but if they're already going to add more rear seat room like the 5th gen 1500 when the standard crew cab is expanded then the Mega wouldn't likely even really be needed, right?

You hater! :p

BTW, my guess is that the HD segment is also just 10% of the market. Should they only produce 1500s?

I'm well aware it's a low volume option. But, it might be enough of a novelty to keep buyers from jumping ship.
Also we DO pay to have it (most expensive RAM), so there is some money to be made or at least for them to break even. Still a good marketing incentive.

I asked my dealer about it and he said that those who had one don't even want to consider anything else. And it is pretty much how I feel.

Every new gen has the same rumors of the megacab disappearing. So far, so good. We shall see.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I get ya, but if they're already going to add more rear seat room like the 5th gen 1500 when the standard crew cab is expanded then the Mega wouldn't likely even really be needed, right?
It's not just about the space for rear passengers. It's about how the full storage system works. So many options. The rear of seats are very useful to store a lot of thing. Also they can be transformed in a bed area. Used it a few times as such.

Also, one thing I heard on youtube but not sure if 100% accurate: the MegaCab is popular with hotshot guys as it is approved for sleep, which no other cab can. If true, that would be a market just by itself.

Anyway, if they get rid of it, I'll be pretty pissed.

Xflight29

Reaction score
We travel with our Mega Cab to Colorado and back to Arizona and the Mega Cab is the only way to stretch-out for a couple hour Siesta. Cant do that in any other configuration out there .

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm just joking guys but you all sound like your in the mkt for a station wagon. Uuuugggggghhhhhhhhh your cracking me up over here. I'm thinking lets talk about hauling logs or gravel or pulling a back hoe because your gonna dig a pond or like me your gonna buy a 48 ft 26,000 lb toy hauler. But hey I'm into storage an leg room an sleeper birth too, not so much on the sub woofer but hey I'm all ears to new things. Lol just funnin

MikeXM

Reaction score
It is all about having the best truck for the MANY tasks you face in life. And toy hauler is also the main reason for me... But I do many other things with my truck too! The Mega is simply the best one out there... for me.
Your mileage may vary.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm just messing with you all. Your exactly right, every one has there perfect rig, you don't have to sell it to me, I'm with yah. Were all under the same logo

chesafreak

Reaction score
I sincerely think they will come out with a MegaCab version of the 5th gen cab. I know some have said the current would be the last of the MegaCab but I doubt it. It is a popular option for sure.

To me, a real truck has a MegaCab. :cool:

The 5th gen cab is already 5-6" longer than the current HD Crew. Is another 5-6" worth a whole new cab design? I doubt it. Add another foot on like the current setup and these thing start to get pretty ridiculously long. I wish I had a mega cab myself, while the crew cab is sufficient leg room wise with my kids primarily being back there I absolutely hate the cut out in the center seat.

Users who are viewing this thread