Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM front winch bumper

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I spoke with AEV and they are preparing to begin production of the bumper ($2.5k) and brush guard (~$1.7k) and to be honest as much as I love AEV I just can not spend nearly $5k on a bumper once you add shipping, installation, etc. It the absolute best looking bumper by far but damn, it's a bumper...

View attachment 13460
Dang a $1700 add on for the full guard?! I’m glad I ordered the bumper the first day it was available @$1900. It sold out immediately and when it was available again it was $600 more

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Really frustrating as a 4500/5500 owner. I need a number badly. Tired of having to be careful with front end. Just missed a herd of deer coming home last night.

heavyg603

Reaction score
21f61fc9a9a31483f7c4ccf1aba4d93e.jpg

8274ac99ca677f33ea1606758740f53b.jpg

This is a Throttle Down Customs one, Mayhem model. It will take most of the 12k winches feet down. Hook is behind the flip up license plate. Not cheap but they were the only people willing to work with me on my plow mount mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRAMadaINN

Reaction score
Here is my Buckstop bumper On my 2020 3500 HO
View attachment 13271

This looks great. Would you mind posting pics from your front camera view/surround view? As much as I want a bumper, hindering the camera views gives me reservation.

Yeah, I see ComeUp USA has a new 20K electric winch out. There's so little space available now in these engine compartments that you're hard-pressed to install much of anything. I've got an ARB twin air compressor and I'm pretty much resigned to install it in/under the bed area.

If you have a crew cab, it fits under the driver rear seat. It's snug but it fits and is out of the elements. I did it on my 2017 and now on my 2020. We use it a lot for tires/stand up paddleboards.

2manyprojects

Reaction score
This looks great. Would you mind posting pics from your front camera view/surround view? As much as I want a bumper, hindering the camera views gives me reservation.

If you have a crew cab, it fits under the driver rear seat. It's snug but it fits and is out of the elements. I did it on my 2017 and now on my 2020. We use it a lot for tires/stand up paddleboards.
I've considered putting the air compressor under the rear seat, but very concerned about the noise. I plan to ultimately be powering front and rear lockers, as well as a 2.5 gal tank I'm mounting, and don't want to be startling the wife or pet any more than necessary. I've had the singles under the hood on two previous vehicles and they weren't bad but definitely noticeable. What's been your experience?

TheRAMadaINN

Reaction score
I've considered putting the air compressor under the rear seat, but very concerned about the noise. I plan to ultimately be powering front and rear lockers, as well as a 2.5 gal tank I'm mounting, and don't want to be startling the wife or pet any more than necessary. I've had the singles under the hood on two previous vehicles and they weren't bad but definitely noticeable. What's been your experience?
Well you'll definitely hear it, I think the frequency of the sound made by the compressor isn't annoying. I would think with what you're planning to do, the compressor will run to fill the 2.5gal tank and hardly after that. The lockers require so little volume of air, I doubt the compressor will run very often after initially filling the tank, unless you cycle the lockers a lot, and or you have a leak.

Back to bumpers. Trail Ready and Buckstop bumpers are owned by the same person and they make great fitting/stout bumpers for our trucks. I had a trail ready bumper on my 2017 and was very impressed with it, and liked the style. However with my 2020, as much as I want a winch bumper, I don't want to hinder the factory camera views. Hoping to see what the views look like with various bumpers...

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I’m still trying to wrap my brain around the air bag sensors and safety. How does the air bag deploy if the new bumper is much stronger? Or is this not a factor? Always thought there were sensors that sensed collision?
I don’t have forward facing camera, so that takes care of that. Really want to get this done. Just missing Deere and always holding my breath in the brush....

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’m still trying to wrap my brain around the air bag sensors and safety. How does the air bag deploy if the new bumper is much stronger? Or is this not a factor? Always thought there were sensors that sensed collision?
I don’t have forward facing camera, so that takes care of that. Really want to get this done. Just missing Deere and always holding my breath in the brush....
With regards to forward collisions, the airbags would be triggered by sensors that detect deceleration, not damage to the front end.

2manyprojects

Reaction score
Very good point Farmer 5500, and this is why AEV components cost so very much and take so long to develop when compared to all other offerings. AEV tests to OEM standards which are guided by SAE. I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that does the same.
Australian ARB bumpers are also designed and tested to maintain airbag function. Nothing for 5th gen trucks yet, but they do support the Ram HDs. Most bumper manufacturers lack the resources to do this kind of testing and development, and aren't required to do it to sell their products.

No one has mentioned air flow and protection for the intercooler. AEV says they design and test to maintain OEM level air flow, and mention an "intercooler skidplate", but unfortunately that's even further behind on the delivery schedule. Buck Stop doesn't list it on their website, but does offer an additional skidplate which attaches to their bumper and extends back toward the front axle. I was going to remove the plastic factory air dam under my stock front bumper, but it really leaves the intercooler exposed. I'd sure like any bumper I invest in to address these features also.

EK701

Reaction score

it does block it a bit, but it’s still usable.
0CB97A71-CF3B-4E27-98E0-7D20E903B409.jpeg
AABE5302-88A8-4495-8D25-D3A2042D7E34.jpeg

I’ve been talking with Buckstop about how to improve the camera view.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Well that messes up my plans a bit. I was set to go with the bumper. Winch plate available in 3 weeks and Sherpa 25k winch. Now y’all got me thinking I should wait.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Should I wait until there are more buying options?
Or will that be the only 1 or 2 available? Is Covid delaying new production? Had my truck for a year now with no bumper or winch. Getting antsy.

Users who are viewing this thread