Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Box painted covers coming off

boom3198

Reaction score
Had mine in 5 separate times before getting a hold of RAMCares and talking to the Service Manager at the dealership. Body Shop at the dealer pretty much ended up Epoxying them on and havent had issues so far in 2 months. Before, it was about every month - month and a half that I would take it in for them to be RAM-approved double sided taped back on....SMH....

Mhelvic

Reaction score
Had mine in 5 separate times before getting a hold of RAMCares and talking to the Service Manager at the dealership. Body Shop at the dealer pretty much ended up Epoxying them on and havent had issues so far in 2 months. Before, it was about every month - month and a half that I would take it in for them to be RAM-approved double sided taped back on....SMH....

That is a good looking truck!!!

Garrett76036

Reaction score
Had mine repaired twice. First repair attempt lasted a few days. I watched as they did the second repair and they put extras adhesive tape all over the panel. Now, so far, so good. Going on three months now and I have had no new issues with warping and I have a black truck that sits in the Florida sun, not inside a garage.
Did you see how they removed the panels? I have my own adhesion promoter and tape I use on aircraft but haven't figured out how to remove the panel without warping or damaging it.

Mhelvic

Reaction score
Did you see how they removed the panels? I have my own adhesion promoter and tape I use on aircraft but haven't figured out how to remove the panel without warping or damaging it.

Yeah, they disconnected and removed the locking mechanism. Then they poured some kind of liquid thinner or something between the applique and the Rambox that weakened the adhesive tape and allowed them to pull the applique off without bending or breaking it. Then they scraped all the gunk off the applique and off the side the of the Rambox. After wiping both parts off with another chemical. They taped the h**l out of the panel, reapplied it and reinstalled the locking mechanism.

They also put painters tape on the exterior of the Rambox and instructed my to wait 24 hours before opening or washing it. The entire removal and reinstallation process only took 30 minutes. If it ever warps while still under warranty I’ll have the dealership fix it. If it fails after the warranty expires I’ll do it myself.

DrakeTungsten

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 PW. The RamBox panels are also coming off the lids for my truck. Has anyone on here tried using the 3M panel bonding adhesive? I've read on another forum that that seems to work great. I went to the local dealership here in MD, and they just want to use the doublesided tape again and I'm concerned it's only a limited fix. Thanks in advance for any help!

Arlo22

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 PW. The RamBox panels are also coming off the lids for my truck. Has anyone on here tried using the 3M panel bonding adhesive? I've read on another forum that that seems to work great. I went to the local dealership here in MD, and they just want to use the doublesided tape again and I'm concerned it's only a limited fix. Thanks in advance for any help!
Did you try it? Did it work? Having this issue on my 2019 2500...

robo

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Ram PW. Same problem with the covers delaminating. With all ive read I think i will just fix it myself with a good epoxy. Sounds like They should have a recall. As long as its been going on you would think Ram would of tried something better than double back tape by now. Sad!!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Ram PW. Same problem with the covers delaminating. With all ive read I think i will just fix it myself with a good epoxy. Sounds like They should have a recall. As long as its been going on you would think Ram would of tried something better than double back tape by now. Sad!!!
Try and get some panel bond like they use on the fords for gluing the aluminum together or some windshield urethane would do it as well. Tape is not going to cut it

CajunAg

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but my new-to-me 2020 Ram 2500 was also exhibiting the rear corners of the painted Rambox sides coming off/separating, and researching the issue is what brought me to this forum. There is an updated TSB (No. 23-051-22, dated November 30, 2022) where the painted applique and the box lid itself are both replaced if the issue is noticed, attached below. This TSB supersedes TSB 23-019-19 Rev. A and RSU 19-044, and is applicable to all 2019-2022 Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks built on or before March 30, 2021.

I noticed on my boxes that the applique sections appeared to be inline with the rest of the bed, but the Rambox lids themselves were actually warped upward, causing the separation. I believe that's why Ram now replaces both the lid and the painted applique. My truck is still under warranty and the dealer is replacing both box lids, so I hope the new lids are reinforced/redesigned to eliminate the issue. Hope this helps others frustrated by this flaw.

Attachments

• RAM TSB-23-051-22 Ramboxes.pdf
    410.6 KB · Views: 14

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but my new-to-me 2020 Ram 2500 was also exhibiting the rear corners of the painted Rambox sides coming off/separating, and researching the issue is what brought me to this forum. There is an updated TSB (No. 23-051-22, dated November 30, 2022) where the painted applique and the box lid itself are both replaced if the issue is noticed, attached below. This TSB supersedes TSB 23-019-19 Rev. A and RSU 19-044, and is applicable to all 2019-2022 Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks built on or before March 30, 2021.

I noticed on my boxes that the applique sections appeared to be inline with the rest of the bed, but the Rambox lids themselves were actually warped upward, causing the separation. I believe that's why Ram now replaces both the lid and the painted applique. My truck is still under warranty and the dealer is replacing both box lids, so I hope the new lids are reinforced/redesigned to eliminate the issue. Hope this helps others frustrated by this flaw.
Hello,

We are glad to see that you were able to get your lids replaced and taken care of. If you run into any future concerns or ever need assistance, please know that you can reach out to our team via private message.

Lex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread