Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Box painted covers coming off

BigRed

Reaction score
For 4 years I owned a 2015 Ram 2500 HD Laramie with Ram boxes which I noticed this year the painted ram box covers were coming off. The service adviser where I purchased it said it was a common problem and since my warranty had expired I shoulder call Chrysler/Fiat customer care. After 5 recalls and the Turbo failing and replaced under warranty I decided to trade it with 69,000 miles on it. I purchased the identical 2019 Ram 2500 with ram boxes and the first day I had it at home I again noticed the ram box covers coming off. I was advised and confirmed that it is only held on with double sided tape which is a joke for a $70,000 vehicle. I called my local service department and they said they can repair with the same tape as that is all the warranty will cover. I called the customer care and they said there have not been any other complaints about this problem so there was no advisement or reports generated to have a company wide resolution. Both dealer service departments that I purchased these vehicles have said they have had numerous complaints about the tape not holding especially in Florida heat where I live. Any other good people dealing with this please call Chrysler/Fiat Customer Care at 800-334-9200 and let them know that it needs a permanent fix not just a tape job (band aid).

Omarf4

Reaction score
Noticed the same issue today on my passenger side rambox. Texas heat plus black truck melting the tape on the inside. Tried super glue but that last an hour in the sun.

Let know what you end up doing. Truck only had 900 miles and the entire corner coming off of the rambox.....ugh!

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Superglue is a poor adhesive for anything that vibrates. With any adhesive surface prep is key -- then the right tape 3m VHB has a high temp that can withstand powder coating process as well - should be enough for Texas sun.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Ok, just put 4 inches of 3m double sided tape and let’s see how long it holds up...

Omarf4

Reaction score
Well, the 3M vhb tape lasted for a bit but we’ve had 100+ degree days all week here in Texas....same lip is now loose again. Passenger side....almost like the mold has a stress point pulling it away.....I digress....

No time to take it to dealer, dick around for days...going to add more 3m tape and take some pics...let’s see how long it lasts this time.....

boom3198

Reaction score
Just took my 3500 to the dealer today for warranty work. Both ramBoxes the painted plastic shell is delaminating from the actual lid. The tech said that Ram has an RST(?) out for the lids right now and its a known issue that they have to inspect on every 19 Ram (1500-3500) with the ramboxes.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Just took my 3500 to the dealer today for warranty work. Both ramBoxes the painted plastic shell is delaminating from the actual lid. The tech said that Ram has an RST(?) out for the lids right now and its a known issue that they have to inspect on every 19 Ram (1500-3500) with the ramboxes.

If you can get the RST reference number that would be great as I suspect a "deer in the headlight" look from my dealer if I mention the issue.....

boom3198

Reaction score
No Problem! MY 13 1500 had the ramboxes which got me hooked. The only problem I had with them is the locking mechanism on them was engineered wonky to where when the little plastic clip that held the actuator arm for the electric lock broke, when locked of course, you couldnt open the box. I had to drill out the lock and use a punch to break the pot metal casing the lock cylinder sat in. Then I reached in with my finger to open the latch. When I order a new one from my local dealership, the parts guy said that they changed the part number because of that and re-engineered them so you could open with the key no matter what. New part was $40 and didnt have any other problems.

Last edited:

BigRed

Reaction score
For 4 years I owned a 2015 Ram 2500 HD Laramie with Ram boxes which I noticed this year the painted ram box covers were coming off. The service adviser where I purchased it said it was a common problem and since my warranty had expired I shoulder call Chrysler/Fiat customer care. After 5 recalls and the Turbo failing and replaced under warranty I decided to trade it with 69,000 miles on it. I purchased the identical 2019 Ram 2500 with ram boxes and the first day I had it at home I again noticed the ram box covers coming off. I was advised and confirmed that it is only held on with double sided tape which is a joke for a $70,000 vehicle. I called my local service department and they said they can repair with the same tape as that is all the warranty will cover. I called the customer care and they said there have not been any other complaints about this problem so there was no advisement or reports generated to have a company wide resolution. Both dealer service departments that I purchased these vehicles have said they have had numerous complaints about the tape not holding especially in Florida heat where I live. Any other good people dealing with this please call Chrysler/Fiat Customer Care at 800-334-9200 and let them know that it needs a permanent fix not just a tape job (band aid).
Two and a half days at the dealer to fix per RAM warranty methods and when I walked out to drive home it was already off again. Now they are supposedly waiting for RAM's next fix. Playing the game a little longer before getting the local News investigators involved. Chrysler/Fiat says they have no complaints but call any service department and they will tell you otherwise. Box lids appear to be molded with a curvature that does not allow the painted cover to stay attached unless they come up with a clip to hold it on. Keep rattling the chain if you have the same problem and a recall should be initiated to fix all of ours.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Two and a half days at the dealer to fix per RAM warranty methods and when I walked out to drive home it was already off again. Now they are supposedly waiting for RAM's next fix. Playing the game a little longer before getting the local News investigators involved. Chrysler/Fiat says they have no complaints but call any service department and they will tell you otherwise. Box lids appear to be molded with a curvature that does not allow the painted cover to stay attached unless they come up with a clip to hold it on. Keep rattling the chain if you have the same problem and a recall should be initiated to fix all of ours.

See this is what worries me about taking it in....sorry for your troubles...please keep us posted.

Ohio Ram

Reaction score
I've had issues with my drivers side lid coming loose from the inner panel. I bought this 2019 Power Wagon May the 31st, tool it back five weeks later. They fixed it. Maybe a week went by and the lid started getting loose and out of alignment again. Just made another appointment, but they said it'll be two weeks before I can get into the body shop. I really think they just want to try to frustrate me until I go away. They're barking up the wrong tree, I'll become the customer from hell. Ohio has a lemon law, and as long as I take it back three times to the same place, I can use the law. I hate that things come to this for a seemingly simple problem. I've been documenting everything, photos etc. I'm so glad I took tons of photos the day I bought it. They show the lid on and straight.

Ohio Ram

Reaction score
Well, round #3 for the dealer with the drivers side Rambox lid. This is getting old, three times in five months since I bought the truck, new. This last time it leaked when it rained a few days ago. Starting to be sorry I bought the truck. They act like it's no big deal. But it's no different than a drivers side door into the cab, it should work and the gaps should line up.

2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 03.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 02.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 01.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 05.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 03.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 02.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 01.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 05.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 03.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 02.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 01.JPG2019 Power Wagon - drivers side RAMbox (10-13-2019) - 05.JPG

BigRed

Reaction score
Yep that looks just like mine even after they fixed it. Getting ready to give them one more chance as I only have 4500 miles on my truck. They have told me they will only do one side at a time but I am getting ready to raise some hell as well. Keep after them since they told me at the Customer care that I was the only one with this problem.

Ohio Ram

Reaction score
You need to contact customer care yourself. They replied to me the next day (this morning) and gave me a case number. Said give them a few days to contact the dealer.

BigRed

Reaction score
Do you happen to have the phone number you reached them at?. Maybe my original contact information wasn't the best choice of phone numbers. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread