Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Box & 5th Wheel Towing Prep

R.J.

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if the build sheet is correct, but if you select the RamBox, then the 5th Wheel towing prep is removed.

Is this because there isn't enough clearance with the Rambox or just a website bug?

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if the build sheet is correct, but if you select the RamBox, then the 5th Wheel towing prep is removed.

Is this because there isn't enough clearance with the Rambox or just a website bug?

It's not the website. The RAM box is actually installed on a different bed altogether. RAM won't do them both. You can get 5th wheel/ gooseneck aftermarket done, but you'll have to be careful which 5th wheel hitch you purchase as the clearance is pretty tight.

arwright

Reaction score
As a first time RAM owner who is looking to buy a fifth wheel but wanted the Ramboxes I did a lot of research about this. RAM will not allow you to order both the Ramboxes with the puck system but the puck system can be installed after-market. The key is the pinbox you have attached to your fifth wheel. Here is a link to a great thread I plan to replicate to allow you to get the best of both worlds while eliminating the need for a sliding hitch given the short bed.

bdaniel

Reaction score

I have a 2018 2500 with the ramboxes,. Had a Draw-tite gooseneck hitch package installed along with spliceless wiring for the pigtail through the left hand box. I use an Anderson hitch with the ball in the medium setting along with the coupler reversed and tow a Keystone ultralite 32 footer. Have only made 1 trip so far. That being said, I have no issues with the sides or tailgate being dinged. Pin weight for the trailer basically empty was 1600 pounds, the truck has a 2700 pound payload. Had the truck weighed with a full tank of gas, tools and such in the box and 2 people, has approximately 2000 lbs. of payload remaining. This is for a Gas engine. If i purchased a diesel the payload would have been about 1800 pounds which would be too low for towing the camper. Please keep that in mind. If I waned to go diesel, would have had to purchase a 300.

Users who are viewing this thread