Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM APP

Porkchopexpress

Reaction score
I really liked this app. Well, it expired, and called to get it. Thought it would be something reasonable as far as pricing. They wanted a min of 9.99 a month for the use of the app and up. What a RIP-OFF. I can track my location through various apps for free but was nice to do a remote start or let my family members follow me since I am on the road so much. My XM radio was 5 bucks a month for a year and use that one more than this app. Has anyone else gone through this BS with the RAM APP? Did anyone actually pay for this?

I am going to send a nasty gram to MOPAR about this. With the price of everything on the rise, esp fuel, a cheap app that is convenient that costs them basically nothing is a total price grouge. <Venting completed>

sstoner911

Reaction score
I really liked this app. Well, it expired, and called to get it. Thought it would be something reasonable as far as pricing. They wanted a min of 9.99 a month for the use of the app and up. What a RIP-OFF. I can track my location through various apps for free but was nice to do a remote start or let my family members follow me since I am on the road so much. My XM radio was 5 bucks a month for a year and use that one more than this app. Has anyone else gone through this BS with the RAM APP? Did anyone actually pay for this?

I am going to send a nasty gram to MOPAR about this. With the price of everything on the rise, esp fuel, a cheap app that is convenient that costs them basically nothing is a total price grouge. <Venting completed>

Funny how we spend 80K or more for a truck or $14 to stream movies - yet we gripe about the Ram App?

What should it cost? What do yo think it costs to update the app as needed and keep it online? I guess people just think apps run themselves with little fairies.

I pay the $14 for the remote start and NAV updates. The remote start is worth it to me.

slowindown

Reaction score
$120-$168 a year to be able to crank your truck with your phone. Nah. I’ve had a drivers license since the early 80s and I’ve always used a key (or now a fob and a button - prefer the key). I didn’t order nav as my phone has maps. Works in my wife’s car pretty good with CarPlay. Presumably, it’ll work ok when the truck arrives too. But, to each his own.

sstoner911

Reaction score
$120-$168 a year to be able to crank your truck with your phone. Nah. I’ve had a drivers license since the early 80s and I’ve always used a key (or now a fob and a button - prefer the key). I didn’t order nav as my phone has maps. Works in my wife’s car pretty good with CarPlay. Presumably, it’ll work ok when the truck arrives too. But, to each his own.
Yup that $168 a year is well worth getting in to a truck at 70 degrees vs 140 degrees in the summer.

Same for the winter... steering wheel nice and toasty, heated seats after you leave work or restaurant.

I mean you probably drink more than $168 a year in beer only to urinate it all away....I know I do.

I don't even take the FOB out of my pocket anymore...not even to unlock.

I tend not to use the Android Auto for maps as the map will not go full screen...the Apple Play apparently will display full screen.

Also phone gets really hot when using Android Auto...

tchur1

Reaction score
At least they aren't starting to charge to use heated seats and some other features like BMW has started testing in Korea. (Maybe I shouldnt put that here and start throwing out ideas)

sstoner911

Reaction score
At least they aren't starting to charge to use heated seats and some other features like BMW has started testing in Korea. (Maybe I shouldnt put that here and start throwing out ideas)

We wont have to worry since FCA doesn't install added features unless you order them. Looks like BMW installs heated seats but doesn't activate them unless you order them - then if you want to activate them its a subscription!

slowindown

Reaction score
Yup that $168 a year is well worth getting in to a truck at 70 degrees vs 140 degrees in the summer.

Same for the winter... steering wheel nice and toasty, heated seats after you leave work or restaurant.

I mean you probably drink more than $168 a year in beer only to urinate it all away....I know I do.

I don't even take the FOB out of my pocket anymore...not even to unlock.

I tend not to use the Android Auto for maps as the map will not go full screen...the Apple Play apparently will display full screen.

Also phone gets really hot when using Android Auto...

I guarantee you I drink more than $168 worth of beer per year. And I have no issues whatsoever with those who would just as soon drink $negligible water nor those that drink fine wine.

buzzuti

Reaction score
Consulting for a major car manufacturer on this exact problem domain.
This is the new norm.
Most industry leadership think that this is the wave of the "future" where you can turn on and off "features" for your vehicle on a subscription model.

Integration with vehicle software as a platform enabling a "marketplace" for app integration, think Apple, is where things are going in addition to manufacturer features as well.

Darmichar

Reaction score
Consulting for a major car manufacturer on this exact problem domain.
This is the new norm.
Most industry leadership think that this is the wave of the "future" where you can turn on and off "features" for your vehicle on a subscription model.

Integration with vehicle software as a platform enabling a "marketplace" for app integration, think Apple, is where things are going in addition to manufacturer features as well.
I listened to a story the other day where a GM exec was ecstatic about electric cars and the 'ability to update them OTA and the ability to charge subscription fees for accessories in the car'.
Musk is a genius for what he did with the Tesla's, but he's opened pandora's box on this one.

Also, I drink $168 worth of beer in 2 months, still won't pay for the app but can understand why some would. To each their own I guess.

Porkchopexpress

Reaction score
Funny how we spend 80K or more for a truck or $14 to stream movies - yet we gripe about the Ram App?

What should it cost? What do yo think it costs to update the app as needed and keep it online? I guess people just think apps run themselves with little fairies.

I pay the $14 for the remote start and NAV updates. The remote start is worth it to me.
I am cheap, and by being cheap I tend to end up with nice things that are paid for. I did spend over 80K for my truck but it is paid for now so no payment. I do not do steaming movies or other TV like most people. As I said, I paid less than 5 bucks a month (did the annual thing to save money) for the XM radio service which I use. I can walk outside and use my remote to start my car vs paying 186 bucks

Nav updates one can use apple or google maps for free, Location services you can use life360 for free. So the real benefit IMHO is the remote start and lock/unlock and getting the health updates. Is that really worth 168 bucks? For a convenience tax? To me nope, like someone else said that is beer money. What is the app worth to me, maybe 30 bucks a year. This monthly charge for a benefit that should come standard on a 80K plus truck is over the top. Just my 2 cents.

waveslayer

Reaction score
I'd be pretty psyched if it was free, like Ford offers.
Exactly, the Ford app is better in my opinion . Plus it's free, as you stated.

What should it cost... free is my answer

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

DougB

Reaction score
Remember when text messages used to be 10c or 25c each? Lol

I’d pay $5/mo for the app features since really I only use remote start. Don’t use built in Nav, use Google maps and Waze via Apple CarPlay. Have SiriusXM lifetime sub. Don’t need all the other Internet based features. For now I’ll just double click the fob when I have line-of-sight of the truck. And then walk slowly to it so it’s cooled off or warmed up. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread