Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 3500 5th wheel prep kit installation.

whitexc

Reaction score
I installed the puck system in my ‘21 2500. It’s not a bad job but a little nerve racking. Lots of measuring and I drilled right down on the brackets. Hind sight I would have used a smaller hole saw than what they say. Same goes for the 7 pin plug in the bed. Buy a plug and play piece from Curt or one of the other manufacturers.

Using Tapatalk. Didn’t see all the post and that you had factory parts already. Another B&W fan here.

Last edited:

allthatflash

Reaction score
I installed the puck system in my ‘21 2500. It’s not a bad job but a little nerve racking. Lots of measuring and I drilled right down on the brackets. Hind sight I would have used a smaller hole saw than what they say. Same goes for the 7 pin plug in the bed. Buy a plug and play piece from Curt or one of the other manufacturers.

Using Tapatalk. Didn’t see all the post and that you had factory parts already. Another B&W fan here.
Ok thanks for the advice, u think it's coming down on me doing it myself... everyone I've called have said no... pathetic and they've gone to train to work in these damn vehicles. I guess my ASE cert from 1989 will rule them all. I haven't mechaniced in decades. But I'll get her done and proper. Technician my ass.

unclelala

Reaction score
It's a good hitch, it's just incompatible with any cushioned pinbox.
My pin box is a Road Armor with a front to back flex and a big square rubber grommet and seems to work well with my Mopar hitch.

Attachments

• Hitch.png
    Hitch.png
    602.7 KB · Views: 15

allthatflash

Reaction score
My pin box is a Road Armor with a front to back flex and a big square rubber grommet and seems to work well with my Mopar hitch.
Does that flex cause chucking while driving? I hear a lot of these flex style give that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I'd guess your pinbox rubber is over-rated for the RV and perhaps doesn't pivot/flex as much as most. Glad it's working for you.

I wish I had saved/could find the video showing just how bad a Q-series head and Rotaflex do not get along, make a ton of noise, and eventually destroy parts. An owner was having major issues and the combo was the cause. A call to Curt and they stated the two are not compatible. It's now listed on their website on every Q-Series model.

Due to the lower pivot and design of the Q-Series, Curt doesn't recommend them for any pivoting pinboxes. I believe the issue is primarily TOO much flex. That puts stress on the pinbox and hitch head that they weren't engineered for.

I mispoke when I added Morryde as I guess those are OK because they slide horizontally and don't pivot.

"Capacity limited to lowest-rated towing component; not compatible with articulating or turret-style pin boxes, such as Rota-Flex and Sidewinder"

1706044470143.png

A20 has no such restriction (note)

"Capacity limited to lowest-rated towing component"

1706045336569.png

Honestly don't know why Mopar continues to source the Q-series. Except for more front-back cushion, the A-series is a better hitch/head.

unclelala

Reaction score
I'd guess your pinbox rubber is over-rated for the RV and perhaps doesn't pivot/flex as much as most. Glad it's working for you.

I wish I had saved/could find the video showing just how bad a Q-series head and Rotaflex do not get along, make a ton of noise, and eventually destroy parts. An owner was having major issues and the combo was the cause. A call to Curt and they stated the two are not compatible. It's now listed on their website on every Q-Series model.

Due to the lower pivot and design of the Q-Series, Curt doesn't recommend them for any pivoting pinboxes. I believe the issue is primarily TOO much flex. That puts stress on the pinbox and hitch head that they weren't engineered for.

I mispoke when I added Morryde as I guess those are OK because they slide horizontally and don't pivot.

"Capacity limited to lowest-rated towing component; not compatible with articulating or turret-style pin boxes, such as Rota-Flex and Sidewinder"

View attachment 68406

A20 has no such restriction (note)

"Capacity limited to lowest-rated towing component"

View attachment 68407

Honestly don't know why Mopar continues to source the Q-series. Except for more front-back cushion, the A-series is a better hitch/head.
My hitch is quiet in all situations and behaves on bridges, train tracks etc. I imagine the front to back movement must be quite limited judging how solid that rubber is. At the same time even loaded up I doubt I exceed 10500 lbs. so I'm only just going over half its recommended weight and not pushing its limits by any means. So Ill use it for a while yet or till the 5th wheel falls off the back ;)

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
I installed the oem parts in my 2019 without any issues. Measure, measure and measure again. The trim rings snap in and you don't want the holes too close to the mount or sheet metal cut larger than the trim will cover.
If you want a professional you might check with a truck accessory or hitch installation shop. This might be a source for assistance - https://www.etrailer.com/installer/near-me/ca/trailer-hitch

JustMeAndMy3500

Reaction score
Are you buying your trailer from an RV dealer? They should be well versed on how to do that kind of work, if not they probably sub it out. Lean on the salesperson and go for a package deal.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Ditto, I bought the hitch from the rv dealer (not a camping world type store) and had them install on my 2020 Ram. It only took a couple of hours at most and was done while we completed paperwork and did the walkdown/inspection for the new RV. There were also several 4-wheel drive accessory type shops in the area that would have happily done the job.

whitexc

Reaction score
Did they install rails in the bed and then the hitch? The RV place didn’t install pucks! I would never let my RV joint touch my truck enough to install the puck system. It’s not a bad job but I’ve seen their work!

Sent from me

Users who are viewing this thread