Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 3500 5th wheel prep kit installation.

allthatflash

Reaction score
So I purchased a 3500 without the 5th wheel prep installed by the factory and none of the 3500 had it on the lot. The sales rep swore that dodge can do the install, but now I'm finding out that the dealer here in Socal won't touch it....I need the 5th wheel prep kit and 7pin harness installed so I can buy my 5th wheel trailer that I picked out... what are my options? I really just want to return the damn truck for the deception.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240122_161709_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122_161709_eBay.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20240122_161547_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122_161547_eBay.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240122_161741_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122_161741_eBay.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 29

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Many folks have installed it after purchasing a truck. Ram sells the kit.

Try a different dealer.

Unless you plan to tow a GN I wouldn’t bother with installing that.

Part number 82215837AC should be what you need.

allthatflash

Reaction score
I'm getting a 5th wheel travel trailer, I mean the kit includes the 4 anchor blocks but I also have the GN center piece incase I decide to get into hotshot or something where a GN trailer would be useful.

allthatflash

Reaction score
I thought it had more to do with it voiding the body (rust/corrosion) warranty .
They say they need a technician in order to cut the bed to make the holes to access the pucks... which so far no dealers had anyone worthy of using hole cutters.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Measure 2 times drill once. The hole locations are pretty easy as the bed flatspots are center of the holes in my truck,

allthatflash

Reaction score
Measure 2 times drill once. The hole locations are pretty easy as the bed flatspots are center of the holes in my truck,
Ya for sure, I think this will bee my only option since Ram sells 3500 without 5th wheel prep kits installed. Which should be included on all builds. Sad you pay 80k for these machines and we can get **** installed on them that's a dealer accessory that you can buy.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ya for sure, I think this will bee my only option since Ram sells 3500 without 5th wheel prep kits installed. Which should be included on all builds. Sad you pay 80k for these machines and we can get **** installed on them that's a dealer accessory that you can buy.
I would go to a bodyshop before a dealer repair shop. Im sure most “techs” these days dont even have a measuring tape

allthatflash

Reaction score
I would go to a bodyshop before a dealer repair shop. Im sure most “techs” these days dont even have a measuring tape
Ya I've called all the local ones around and nothing.... its pathetic. And the sales person swore they can install it at a later date.... screwing the customers is priority.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Do you have to have OEM style? Look at B&W and their companion hitch. You can get the 7 pin harness from etrailer.com and install it yourself.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Not a bad job, on my ‘21 I installed the factory 5th wheel prep (4pucks) and went with the B&W for the goose. The template provided by Mopar and B&W make it a breeze. Drilling the bed is easy……..

Gonna do the same on my ‘24, B&W arrived over the weekend!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have to have OEM style? Look at B&W and their companion hitch. You can get the 7 pin harness from etrailer.com and install it yourself.

The GN companion hitch is good, but doesn’t hold a candle to the OEM puck system.

Not a bad job, on my ‘21 I installed the factory 5th wheel prep (4pucks) and went with the B&W for the goose. The template provided by Mopar and B&W make it a breeze. Drilling the bed is easy……..

Gonna do the same on my ‘24, B&W arrived over the weekend!

Best of both worlds. I would install the OEM GN, but you can’t go wrong with the OEM 5th wheel stuff.

allthatflash

Reaction score
The GN companion hitch is good, but doesn’t hold a candle to the OEM puck system.

Best of both worlds. I would install the OEM GN, but you can’t go wrong with the OEM 5th wheel stuff.
I like the Curt Crosswind, but I'll have to wait to get this installed first. I've already added running boards and the bumper step on the truck

Attachments

• 20240113_095251.jpg
    20240113_095251.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 12
  • FB_IMG_1705864365558.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705864365558.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 12
  • FB_IMG_1705864378927.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705864378927.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 12

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the Curt Crosswind, but I'll have to wait to get this installed first. I've already added running boards and the bumper step on the truck

I’ve personally never been a fan of Curt products. The B&W 5th wheel hitch for the OEM puck system is hard to beat.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My Curt A25 has been great for the 6 years I've owned it. Same head design as the 30K Mopar hitch Curt makes for them.

I didn't like the Patriot that would have fit my existing rails, so I bought the Curt in 2018 to upgrade my POS Husky drawbar hitch when we got a new 5th wheel. I later converted the A25 to Puck for the new truck.

I wouldn't want the Q-series, which is what I think the entry level 20K Mopar hitch is.

Anecdotally, my buddy with an RV shop/storage broke his Companion GN mounted hitch all to hell trying to move a 5th wheel he didn't notice had a slider adapter. Not only shredded the head plate, but the upright arms and the base were bent. Pretty much trashed the whole thing. I think there was only one structural piece he didn't bend.

allthatflash

Reaction score
I’ve personally never been a fan of Curt products. The B&W 5th wheel hitch for the OEM puck system is hard to beat.
Ya they seem good, I just like the simplicity of the curt system and you don't get grease all over you when removing it from the bed... lol
My Curt A25 has been great for the 6 years I've owned it. Same head design as the 30K Mopar hitch Curt makes for them.

I didn't like the Patriot that would have fit my existing rails, so I bought the Curt in 2018 to upgrade my POS Husky drawbar hitch when we got a new 5th wheel. I later converted the A25 to Puck for the new truck.

I wouldn't want the Q-series, which is what I think the entry level 20K Mopar hitch is.

Anecdotally, my buddy with an RV shop/storage broke his Companion GN mounted hitch all to hell trying to move a 5th wheel he didn't notice had a slider adapter. Not only shredded the head plate, but the upright arms and the base were bent. Pretty much trashed the whole thing. I think there was only one structural piece he didn't bend.
That should pricey action there... well I need to get the pucks installed before I can think about buying the 5th wheel system.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya they seem good, I just like the simplicity of the curt system and you don't get grease all over you when removing it from the bed... lol

Had my B&W puck system in and out countless times. Grease isn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread