Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 3500 3 months ownership review

thecastle

Reaction score
I hope this will give other self-proclaimed car guys insight into what its like to own a RAM HD pickup. 1st, I like my RAM and do not regret the purchase. I purchased a used mint condition 2019 Ram 3500 HO, Long Horn, Mega Cab SRW with 40K miles. I decided on the RAM from watching lots of TFL truck and hoovies garage 1 million mile dodge and several test drives of other trucks. The RAM replaces my previous tow vehicle which I traded in; a 2011 BMW X5M that had an unsolvable problem that caused it to sometimes go into limp mode while towing. We plan to use the truck as a tow vehicle for work and trips as well as put a truck camper on it for when we go to Alaska. This is my first Ram pickup (or FCA product); I am not a pickup guy but a right tool for the job guy. I do not daily drive the RAM and instead daily a BMW 550i sedan. I also own a 2000 Ford F-450 7.3 DRW service body/bucket truck.

Things I like
* Drivers Seat is very comfortable one of the most comfortable I've owned and I like the cloth.
* Like having Car Play and the ability to use siri to dictate texts
* Interior is very quiet
* Alpine speakers sound pretty good
* Tows my trailer very well I give it an 8.5/10 on towing comfort, and makes 700 miles days easy even in high winds.
* Most things on the truck seem to just work as one would expect
* Like the range while towing especially after adding a 50 gallon gas tank
* like the mirrors for towing, and like the back seat for pets/stuff when I'm working
* So far its been totally reliable with no check engine lights, intermittent problems, emissions issues and etc. I like that!

Observations but these don't bother me
* Hood does flutter in wind
* Truck is extremely heavy, cat scales weigh in at 8660lbs, no driver, full DEF/Diesel (have a 50 gallon after market tank), and a bed topper. Payload as it sits is 3640lbs, we're getting a truck camper, so payload is important.
* There is a general lack of precision in the controls, especially steering, brakes, gear selector, and etc. but its comparable to other pickups I've driven, so its not a problem.
* Driving the ram you immediately notice it isn't that maneuverable in traffic so you feel like its difficult to avoid an accident. With the site lines out you feel like everyone messing with their phone drifting in their lane near you maybe a potential unavoidable accident, makes my wife nervous to ride as a passenger in it with heavy traffic. We do not feel that way in the F-450 or other vehciles.

Con's
* A/C is just okay, blows tepid air when idling, does better when moving.
* The bed is hard to get into and out of without a step and I can't reach over the side and grab something out of the bed.
* Site lines out of the truck are less than ideal, makes maneuvering in tight places tricky without a spotter.
* The diesel is laggy (its my 3rd diesel), it takes a good couple of seconds to build boost even at highway speeds, which makes cut and thrust through Houston traffic not always an option.
* ride is fine unloaded on smooth roads, though it can be bouncy/rough on certain concrete freeways like in Colorado. I do have 20s. Wish I had the rear air suspension and 18s.
* I paid over 60K for this truck, and its missing a ton of features I would expect in a 40K Toyota or hyundai, like automatic climate control, HID/LED headlights, adaptive cruise control, wireless car play, keyless entry, automated emergency braking, and etc. Not even surround view cameras..
* RAM dealers do not know how to treat owners of 60-100K vehicles yet, for the money you do not get the same treatment you would as a luxury car owner of the same price.

Overall don't read too much into the con's, they are a certain amount personal preference, climate, and use case. I do like the truck and have been very happy with it so far, and we are looking forward to our camping trips and future trip to Alaska! I'm sure some careful mods could address many of the con's.

Reactions: CFE

jeffn

Reaction score
* I paid over 60K for this truck, and its missing a ton of features I would expect in a 40K Toyota or hyundai, like automatic climate control, HID/LED headlights, adaptive cruise control, wireless car play, keyless entry, automated emergency braking, and etc. Not even surround view cameras..
* RAM dealers do not know how to treat owners of 60-100K vehicles yet, for the money you do not get the same treatment you would as a luxury car owner of the same price.
My 2020 Ferrari 812 Superfast doesn’t have wireless CarPlay, adaptive cruise control, or keyless entry either and the dealer service dept returns the car to me on a schedule entirely of their own invention, with no loaner (they get me an UberX for the ride home). I paid $480k for that car.

Money is no guarantee for specific features or feel-good treatment at a dealer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this will give other self-proclaimed car guys insight into what its like to own a RAM HD pickup. 1st, I like my RAM and do not regret the purchase. I purchased a used mint condition 2019 Ram 3500 HO, Long Horn, Mega Cab SRW with 40K miles. I decided on the RAM from watching lots of TFL truck and hoovies garage 1 million mile dodge and several test drives of other trucks. The RAM replaces my previous tow vehicle which I traded in; a 2011 BMW X5M that had an unsolvable problem that caused it to sometimes go into limp mode while towing. We plan to use the truck as a tow vehicle for work and trips as well as put a truck camper on it for when we go to Alaska. This is my first Ram pickup (or FCA product); I am not a pickup guy but a right tool for the job guy. I do not daily drive the RAM and instead daily a BMW 550i sedan. I also own a 2000 Ford F-450 7.3 DRW service body/bucket truck.

Things I like
* Drivers Seat is very comfortable one of the most comfortable I've owned and I like the cloth.
* Interior is very quiet
* Tows my trailer very well I give it an 8.5/10 on towing comfort, and makes 700 miles days easy even in high winds.
* like the mirrors for towing, and like the back seat for pets/stuff when I'm working
* So far its been totally reliable with no check engine lights, intermittent problems, emissions issues and etc. I like that!

* Truck is extremely heavy, cat scales weigh in at 8660lbs, no driver, full DEF/Diesel (have a 50 gallon after market tank), and a bed topper. Payload as it sits is 3640lbs, we're getting a truck camper, so payload is important.
* There is a general lack of precision in the controls, especially steering, brakes, gear selector, and etc. but its comparable to other pickups I've driven, so its not a problem.
* Driving the ram you immediately notice it isn't that maneuverable in traffic so you feel like its difficult to avoid an accident. With the site lines out you feel like everyone messing with their phone drifting in their lane near you maybe a potential unavoidable accident, makes my wife nervous to ride as a passenger in it with heavy traffic. We do not feel that way in the F-450 or other vehciles.

Con's
* The bed is hard to get into and out of without a step and I can't reach over the side and grab something out of the bed.
* Site lines out of the truck are less than ideal, makes maneuvering in tight places tricky without a spotter.
* The diesel is laggy (its my 3rd diesel), it takes a good couple of seconds to build boost even at highway speeds, which makes cut and thrust through Houston traffic not always an option.
* ride is fine unloaded on smooth roads, though it can be bouncy/rough on certain concrete freeways like in Colorado. I do have 20s. Wish I had the rear air suspension and 18s.

Overall don't read too much into the con's, they are a certain amount personal preference, climate, and use case. I do like the truck and have been very happy with it so far, and we are looking forward to our camping trips and future trip to Alaska! I'm sure some careful mods could address many of the con's.

TSB available for the A/C
Factory Bed step is available
A Cummins diesel DBW is laggy. Get a pedal commander or similar pedal sensitivity booster. That said, it's not sporty and never will be. Try driving in TH in traffic, maybe even using the gear limit paddle to prevent lugging.
All those features are available, for a price, and most can be DIY. They're all expensive now and if you wanna play, you gotta pay. At least they are not subscription only features (yet) like some makers are moving towards. Keep in mind a large chunk of that price you paid is for that mighty mighty Cummins and not some cheap global platform engine. Wireless carplay is just coming out on lots of vehicles and is available on the 2022 trucks.
Rear air is nice. Lower tire pressures when not towing.
Domestic dealers in general DGAF vs Euro and other luxo dealers.

thecastle

Reaction score
I suspect the VEN diagram of people who buy Ferrari's and the circle of people who would consider a RAM HD as an alternative to a Ferrari has very little overlap. I think your more likely to see someone cross shop a range rover vs a ram HD. The point I was indirectly making is that a lot of people buy ram HD (and others) as daily drivers. In many cases RAM owners buy trucks because they like them, but are not opposed to cross shopping say an SUV. Where you can get more driver comforts/safety features for the same or less money, in say a Hyundai Palisade then a ram 3500.

My problem with the ram dealers here has been poor service. The 1st dealer I took the truck in for an oil change, fuel filter change, brake fluid flush and transmission fluid change. I would consider fluid and filter swaps to be basic maintenance. After the truck sat at the dealer for 3 days I called, and asked the SA for status. The SA informed me he hadn't priced the services yet, so none had been started. I was like what, you don't know the price of an oil change? Picked up the truck and went to a 2nd dealer, they at least were able to do this same day, but didn't tighten the drain plug on the oil pan and the truck was leaking oil all over my driveway, so another visit back to the dealer. At least they fixed it while I waited the 3rd time I went in for an oil change (mind you its a 1 hour drive). The other time that took multiple trips to get a ram dealer to fix the truck was 2x trips for alignment and 2x trips to fix the TPMS, neither were fixed after the 1st visit, and no one checked to make sure the mechanics had resolved the issue. So not a great start, and I had to pay for my own uber back and forth to all of them. Not saying other dealers haven't made mistakes, but 3 different ram dealers couldn't get simple tasks done correctly on the 1st try is not boding well, that was what I didn't say earlier.

thecastle

Reaction score
TSB available for the A/C
Factory Bed step is available
A Cummins diesel DBW is laggy. Get a pedal commander or similar pedal sensitivity booster. That said, it's not sporty and never will be. Try driving in TH in traffic, maybe even using the gear limit paddle to prevent lugging.
All those features are available, for a price, and most can be DIY. They're all expensive now and if you wanna play, you gotta pay. At least they are not subscription only features (yet) like some makers are moving towards. Keep in mind a large chunk of that price you paid is for that mighty mighty Cummins and not some cheap global platform engine. Wireless carplay is just coming out on lots of vehicles and is available on the 2022 trucks.
Rear air is nice. Lower tire pressures when not towing.
Domestic dealers in general DGAF vs Euro and other luxo dealers.

The AC is not great, I took the truck out of storage last weekend and drove it around in 102 degree heat, never really cooled off. The truck had been sitting in storage so it was in shade, and should have been able to cool down. I've been reading the threads here on the TSB, and unfortunately I'm not under the bumper/bumper warranty, so I don't think the factory will fix this defect under warranty. Or am I incorrect on that? I'm looking into adding a valve to block coolant flow to the heater core like Muzzy's ac hack. Not ideal, but its $20 + time.

My F-450 has a 0-60 time of about 3 weeks LOL, so the ram seems like a race car in comparison. I just was expecting more from a vehicle with 400hp/1000lbft, especially at highway speeds. I've seen the pedal commander, the manually shifting it before a passing maneuver is a good suggestion.

Agreed the Cummins is a very expensive option along with the AISIN.

Some of the ride is just getting used to the truck, and I will definitely lower the rear tire pressure, when not towing, but really I tow just about 75% of the time when using this truck. It is a company vehicle for me mostly (occasionally use it for trips). So I use it mostly to bring a travel trailer to live in when we build Wi-Fi networks for customer Hotels, Marina's and RV parks. RV parks especially are built often in the middle of nowhere, so living there really cuts the commute times down. I also sometimes tow the travel trailer with the pokey F-450, but strictly for work. Though I'm sure I would be the talk of the state park rolling up in a bucket truck with a travel trailer ;-)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The AC is not great, I took the truck out of storage last weekend and drove it around in 102 degree heat, never really cooled off. The truck had been sitting in storage so it was in shade, and should have been able to cool down. I've been reading the threads here on the TSB, and unfortunately I'm not under the bumper/bumper warranty, so I don't think the factory will fix this defect under warranty. Or am I incorrect on that? I'm looking into adding a valve to block coolant flow to the heater core like Muzzy's ac hack. Not ideal, but its $20 + time.

My F-450 has a 0-60 time of about 3 weeks LOL, so the ram seems like a race car in comparison. I just was expecting more from a vehicle with 400hp/1000lbft, especially at highway speeds. I've seen the pedal commander, the manually shifting it before a passing maneuver is a good suggestion.

Agreed the Cummins is a very expensive option along with the AISIN.

Some of the ride is just getting used to the truck, and I will definitely lower the rear tire pressure, when not towing, but really I tow just about 75% of the time when using this truck. It is a company vehicle for me mostly (occasionally use it for trips). So I use it mostly to bring a travel trailer to live in when we build Wi-Fi networks for customer Hotels, Marina's and RV parks. RV parks especially are built often in the middle of nowhere, so living there really cuts the commute times down. I also sometimes tow the travel trailer with the pokey F-450, but strictly for work. Though I'm sure I would be the talk of the state park rolling up in a bucket truck with a travel trailer ;-)

The AC TSB should still be available to you. My truck is a 2021 so it has the "updated" AC system -- we were in Camp Verde AZ last week where temps were 105-108 all week long and the truck kept us very comfortable. No issues.

The coolant block will also help your AC system in the meantime.

Nick

Reaction score

Things I like
* Interior is very quiet

Con's

Put a Banks pedal Monster in it . Google it . Works great ! Easy plug and play . As for your electronic short comings with the chip shortage even Cadillacs are not getting some safety items . Look on this site for OBD configuring and what you can do with it . Many creative owners on this site .

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It's a brass shut off valve installed in the heater hose to block coolant flow to the heater core.

Google Muzzy's AC Hack for details. It's pretty popular. Or you could source the pcs at your local auto parts or hardware store.

thecastle

Reaction score
The AC TSB should still be available to you. My truck is a 2021 so it has the "updated" AC system -- we were in Camp Verde AZ last week where temps were 105-108 all week long and the truck kept us very comfortable. No issues.

The coolant block will also help your AC system in the meantime.
I took the vehicle in last week Friday to big star RAM to have them take a look at the A/C on the truck. They suspect a refrigerant leak is what the SA thought based on my description of the problem. Big Star says it will take them 4 days (even though I had an appointment) before they can look at the A/C issue. They also are going to do the fuel pump recall on the truck while its in. I'm guessing I won't see this truck again for nearly a month. Glad it's not my daily.

thecastle

Reaction score
Put a Banks pedal Monster in it . Google it . Works great ! Easy plug and play . As for your electronic short comings with the chip shortage even Cadillacs are not getting some safety items . Look on this site for OBD configuring and what you can do with it . Many creative owners on this site .
Thank you. I had been aware of the banks pedal monster. I've seen this same concept on lots of cars over the year. It basically just intercepts the accelerator pedal inputs and if you push it say 80% down instead commands the car to 100%.

I'm not sure it will help in my case as I'm driving the truck already floored. I find I get slow spool, even when floored, both stomping or rolling on the throttle (i've experimented). When trying to drive the truck aggressively, I've noticed the problem is made worse by the transmission as the AISIN has a noticeable delay in gear changes. Compounding the issue the truck seems like it cuts power and dumps boost while shifting, noticeably interrupting acceleration. Are these trucks diverter vavles or blow off vavles? The result for me is Instead of a smooth stream of constant power, you get some lag, bunch of power, then power cut wait for a shift, then spool back up, until we have to shift again. I'm guessing this is a protection mechanism for the transmission. This is totally not an issue while towing, except on some shorter on ramps. This behaviour is quite noticeable unloaded, while floored.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The Aisin trucks defuel between shifts quite a bit. The truck is also torque limited when not pulling a load.

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk

Jason Fang

Reaction score
My 2020 Ferrari 812 Superfast doesn’t have wireless CarPlay, adaptive cruise control, or keyless entry either and the dealer service dept returns the car to me on a schedule entirely of their own invention, with no loaner (they get me an UberX for the ride home). I paid $480k for that car.

Money is no guarantee for specific features or feel-good treatment at a dealer.
If you would like to get wireless carplay, you just need to add a carlinkit 3.0/ 4.0 to achieve as what I know. That's the one Im using.

Users who are viewing this thread