Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio Guidance

srvmood

Reaction score
Ok folks new to the arena just not to ram trucks. I have a new to me 2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab with a 6.4. It currently has a 5 inch radio and i want to change over to an 8.4. I found a good deal on the radio and bezel out of a 2019. I just got off the phone with the Dodge Parts guys and they are telling me only a 2018 radio will fit in my 2018 truck. I have the Dual USB Aux module in the console. I know from watch the videos that a climate module and cable will probably be needed Im just wondering on the radio aspect of it. Is a 2018 only good in a 2018.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Whole of the radio and canbus (or whatever) system is different from the 2018 to 2019 model trucks. I've heard of guys getting the two to play nice and work, but it's gonna require you heavily modify the 2019 radio bezel and likely your dash to get it to work, and at least from my POV it will never look great, just less out of place.

Personally, currently owning both a 2014 and 2019, I don't find the two all that different. A bit different, but not enough for me to spend any time wanting to upgrade anything.

My best advice would be either update to a 2018 8.4", or wait for some of those aftermarket options to get a bit better, get a few more physical controls (none of them even have physical volume knobs currently) and then upgrade that path. Or just go full dual din and do an aftermarket receiver.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
aren't there ample options for the 4th gen trucks?

that 2019 bezel would have to be butchered to fit.

srvmood

Reaction score
OK Guys got radio installed and got everything running, Put in steering wheel controls also. The only issue I have right now is it sees my iphone as a ipod. I have looked and I have no apps in my apps area. ANy ideas on what I need to do

Users who are viewing this thread