Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radiator fan runs at startup regardless of temp?

Burton12387

Reaction score
Maybe this a dumb question, but does everyone’s radiator fan run at startup regardless of ambient or engine temperature? Mine runs at startup and sounds like I’m driving a vacuum cleaner for the first couple of miles. Is that normal? I thought it wasn’t supposed to kick on till coolant got to temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Some have had trouble with the clutch on the fan locking up on startup. Maybe someone with better memory or have had the problem will comment. If you search clutch fan or the like you might find something.

Reaction score
Mine does this in my 19 tradesman and always has. Sounds like a frieghtliner, also if I don't let it get down from high idle RPMS when i first start, the engine is real bucky and loud in first gear pulling off slow. Makes it sound like a dump truck, until I give it gas and get it out of first gear.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Mine does it most of the time. Takes me getting in second to have it stop. I find it quite annoying. Also feels very laggy, like it doesn’t want to move.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
happens on my t'man on about every start up. all of the diesel truck I've owned over the years have done it.

Tell3131

Reaction score
I wondered if I was the only one that this was happening too. Mine does it from time to time, can't figure out what triggers it, but mostly just when I first start it up and start driving. Like others said, normally takes me going into second gear for it to stop. It is very laggy and doesn't want to "go" when it is doing this. Is there a fix for it? Or are people just living with it?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
that's the beauty and curse of a fan clutch type set up. no fix as it's running as designed.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
This has been an issue for as long as viscous fan clutches have been a thing and it's not just FCA. Many are ok but many more are apt to get the fan all frenzied when the engine is cold. Mine will roar for a minute or two when OAT is on the north side of 50F. It's pretty quiet, though, when it's -30. No worries unless it won't quit after a bit.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
the-more-you-know.png

Scottys20

Reaction score
Just turned 1000 miles today. Mine has done it on every engine start. I even noticed it when I test drove it a few weeks ago and I remember smiling when I first started it. I don’t mind it at all, in fact I like it. I have the 6.4.

myersd1

Reaction score
Mine is doing it quite often now that it's colder out. Never saw it this summer. Have had 3 occasions where it refused to stop. Figured it would quit once gong down the hiway. It wouldn't. Stopped the truck, shut it off, no matter what it was locked up. My brother in law found a hack which I don't really like but it works. Turn off all the climate control and rev the motor past 4000 rpm for a while and it will disengage. Had it at the dealer ands they can't do anything, no codes, etc. Said bring it back with it locked up and they will fix. What a joke. 11,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread