Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R99, B20 fuel. Am I understanding this correctly.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
2020 6.7. B20 is okay. Reduce filter and OCI to 12,500 miles if you use it regular

R99 is different than bio diesel. And is approved by Cummins in b67 motors.

I searched the forum but came up with nothing.

Just happened to research it after I had to bypass a few gas stations today cause that was all that’s available at those locations.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering. And lives in an area that has it.

After a ton of research, it’s approved by Cummins to use. Burns cleaner. Has a higher Cetane rating and a lower cloud point. The motor is absolutely quieter. I haven’t noticed an efficiency difference but have a few hundred more miles to go to evaluate that.

It’s basically synthetic diesel. You can run it in anything without any conversion. Completely different refining process than a “B” fuel

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s approved by Cummins, but does that transfer to approved by Ram? Cummins has approved bio fuels on the past that Dodge didn’t follow suit with.

This is only available in California, correct?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have never had an issue with good ol 1202/1203 diesel why complicate it with bio garbage especially since i believe it cuts your oil change and fuel filter intervals in 1/2 if i remember what the manual said correctly

Dave01

Reaction score
Biodiesel has been around for quite a while now, and the product became more consistent in the last 10-15 years. The main problem with running B20 is that it has a cleaning action, in both tank and anywhere else, so when starting to use it you will need to watch the filter. They suggest changing the filter at a shorter interval to cover this, but I'd recommend changing it after just a few thousand miles the first time once you begin to run B20.

R99, Renewable Diesel, is a relatively new product. Biodiesel has largely been made by smaller plants, some make 3-5 million gallons a year, some 15 or 20 million, generally run by smaller private companies though some by larger feedstock companies. Renewable is coming on line in much larger plants in the gulf coast or CA or PA, 500-750 million gallon per year capacity, and owned by large corporations. It is a better product in that it has better cold pour and should have more consistency batch to batch.

For decades people driving diesels have said "Biodiesel is great, my truck runs quieter". It is generally true, the lubricity of biofuels is greater than ULSD. Running a diesel on used cooking oil also quiets it, but doesn't mean it's doing the engine any good. IMO it doesn't mean it is better. Yes, lubricity is a good thing, but our modern engines are designed to run on ULSD so to me it isn't a factor. Also the "burns cleaner" claim is true environmentally, but doesn't mean it burns cleaner in your engine.

I'm not anti biodiesel or renewable diesel, actually work indirectly in the industry and totally support those fuels. I would run B5 in my truck but not B20, and need to learn more about R99 before I'd run it.

Dave01

Reaction score
And just to clarify my last comment, I've viewed biodiesel as having a much better use in heating oil than in on road diesel. R99 is being marketed to really be a standalone on road fuel and is putting a lot of biodiesel plants out of business, so will likely be what people see at the pump for a biofuel product in the near future.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I have never had an issue with good ol 1202/1203 diesel why complicate it with bio garbage especially since i believe it cuts your oil change and fuel filter intervals in 1/2 if i remember what the manual said correctly
It does cut down intervals. But that’s with “B” biofuels. The “R” fuel is completely different.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
It’s approved by Cummins, but does that transfer to approved by Ram? Cummins has approved bio fuels on the past that Dodge didn’t follow suit with.

This is only available in California, correct?
Nothing explicit from ram. But hell. They word their b20 pretty funny too. But from all the fuel companies that make it ( I’m aware of bias) the petroleum institute. The state, etc. the whole purpose was, we need a bio fuel that’s able to run in anything and cleaner. On paper it’s actually a better fuel all the way around. Phillips, nexus or whatever it’s called and another company are refining it. They just converted the refinery in Bakersfield to make it last year.

As far as I know California, one or two Midwest states have it now.

Weirdest part so far. Is it doesn’t smell at all. And it doesn’t foam. At all. No need for an extra click. Cause it fills all the way to the nozzle without foam.

I am going to dump oil and change filters at 12.5 like the manual says for bio and see what a uoa says.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It does cut down intervals. But that’s with “B” biofuels. The “R” fuel is completely different.
To be honest i have never even heard of R99 before and have never seen a B20 fuel up here, is it cheaper than NO.2 diesel?

406Linetrash

Reaction score
To be honest i have never even heard of R99 before and have never seen a B20 fuel up here, is it cheaper than NO.2 diesel?
B20 is cheaper. But I’m not a huge fan. It’s pretty dirty and gels easy.

R99 varies by station greatly. I’ve seen it 10 cents more to 50 cents less.

After research. It honestly seems like it could replace bio completely. A better deal all the way around.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
When talking refined diesel, not chemically treated diesel, more Cetane means lower BTU’s.
You are correct. I worded that poorly. Energy density is basically the same.

Attachments

• 7B2F5D0B-9A96-486D-B0A3-1A70B8B0C58C.png
    7B2F5D0B-9A96-486D-B0A3-1A70B8B0C58C.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 43

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s a high Cetane number!

Not sure that’s a good thing, outside of cold starting.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
That’s a high Cetane number!

Not sure that’s a good thing, outside of cold starting.
I have a feeling that’s what quiets it down. I might be making that up. While noticeable in the Cummins. Two guys at work. One with a 7.3 and one with a 6.0 said it makes a massive difference.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard higher Cetane make a noticeable increase in combustion noise, since it affects the ignition delay.

Generally, but not always, higher lubricity will quiet a motor down.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I always thought the Power Service with cetane boost quieted a Dmax down a bit so I even ran it in warm weather. That and I got a little fuel mileage boost out of it too. And no, not 2-3mpg, more like 0.3-0.5mpg.

Maybe it was the "Slick Diesel" that was having the quiet effect more so than the cetane boost. Or maybe it was the big "C" on the label:)

regal2800

Reaction score
I fill up R99 75% of the time. (In CA). I can’t tell any difference between that and diesel#2.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I have a Shell station near me now that has "renewable diesel" stickers on the pump and a "80% biomass based diesel" sticker. My question here is: what is the other 20%? Is it bio-diesel, or good old dino-diesel? Of course the people in the store never have any idea...

Users who are viewing this thread