Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions from a newbie about 3500's

Ralphy

Reaction score
I have been a Ford guy since shortly after birth, but am looking at Ram dually's. We pull a 15K fifth wheel about 7000 miles per year and have always had SRW F350's. Thinking that a dually would be better, I noticed a couple of used Ram's at a local dealer, a 19 loaded and a 22 Tradesman. I prefer the look of the Ram dually's bed over the ford or GMC, other than that I know nothing about Rams, except what I have read on this and other forums. I did notice the turning radius is better than the 350. I must admit that in reading about the Aisin tranny and some heater bolt issues I am a little concerned. But I am sure there are thousands running just fine with routine maintenance. I have not gone over and test drove just a quick drive by. It has been about 6 years since a bought a truck and don't relish the experience, especially the crazy prices. So tell me some good things about them. I know the interent is full of bad news, but I would like to hear from folks who have had great luck with their trucks and service

jenninr

Reaction score
The Aisin Transmission issue only affected certain 2022 and 2023 model trucks that were built in a certain time frame. And even with that the percentage that has had issues is likely a lot lower than the internet would have you believe. The grid heater bolt is an thing and has been for a long time but it is also very rare percentage wise. There are aftermarket solutions to that issue too if you decide it's something you want to prevent.

Ralphy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the market is getting better for buyers, would I be better off going new?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
There are a few dealers in the US that will offer significant discounts off MSRP on a new order. You'll have to wait for your truck to be built, but could potentially save $10k off MSRP or thereabouts. Where are you located? Mark Dodge in Louisiana I believe is still doing this.

This is how I bought my 2021 DRW.

Ralphy

Reaction score
I live in Northern Michigan, but 10K is substantial. What are the build times? I have heard some Ford guys waited over a year.

tchur1

Reaction score
I live in Northern Michigan, but 10K is substantial. What are the build times? I have heard some Ford guys waited over a year.
I placed an order for a loaded limited dually in March and the truck was on the lot by June. Seems like average is about 5-6 months. There are multiple dealers on this website that advertise ~4% under invoice (~$10k off MSRP). Mark Dodge, Koons, and Granger promote a variety of offers in this range in this forum.

As far as AISIN issues, it only effects '22-'23 MY trucks, and mostly those that were build in the second half of '22. I have a '22 SRW currently that was built in early '22 and have not had any issues with the truck (18k miles, knocking on wood). So the 19 you are looking at wont have this issue, the 22 could depending on build date.

The Cummins is fantastic ,pulls like a freight train and the I6 builds power way sooner than the V8 powerstroke youre used to. the exhaust brake in the Ram will run circles around the Ford your used to, and if you get a truck with the factory equipped air ride, youve got a pretty tough to beat tow rig right off the lot. Im clearly biased but youll love a Ram.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Would imagine that most 2/3/4 yr old diesel trucks are being advertised for a couple grand away from what you can buy a new one for by doing a little leg work. Sure you can go down to the local dealer and pay sticker or a couple grand under, but the reality is that trucks on the lots aren't moving at the same pace as they were 12-18 months ago. The Mark Dodges of the world that specialize in discounting ordered trucks are still a good way to go but I'd personally search for a 22 or 23 new one that is on the lot before going down the ordering process today.

I ordered from Mark Dodge back in Dec 2021 and would do it again if I couldn't find 1) the truck that fit my specs and 2) a dealer willing to deal on price. Back in the middle of covid people were ordering from them and Granger, spending a couple grand on shipping across the country and still coming out thousands ahead of buying local

Deals like the ones below can be found on trucks sitting on the lots today at more dealerships than you might expect. There are still some random 2022s out there that dealers got "stuck" with due to the stop sale recalls but the only real advantage over a 2023 would be that the MSRP should be several thousand less on a 22

1690915605083.png

and one from Granger since they would be closer to you...

1690915706339.png

Ralphy

Reaction score
The 22 I am looking at is a tradesman with the HO engine and aisin tranny, auto leveling system spray in liner. It has about 9500 miles on it and they want 63K. The sticker showed 71K new. Here is the sticker . Thanks to all you guys for helping. No power seat and I am only5'6", may have to move up to a longhorn. lol1690939615716.png

BikePilot

Reaction score
The 22 I am looking at is a tradesman with the HO engine and aisin tranny, auto leveling system spray in liner. It has about 9500 miles on it and they want 63K. The sticker showed 71K new. Here is the sticker . Thanks to all you guys for helping. No power seat and I am only5'6", may have to move up to a longhorn. lolView attachment 60455
That looks like a great build. Max tow, air, HO and the 50 gallon tank--it is setup to haul.

Ralphy

Reaction score
A couple more questions. The fuel tank fill hole looks too small for a truck stop nozzle. And why is there not a cover or cap on the fill opening, looks like a great place for fuel contamination. Lastly, the gear shift lever seems like it has a lot of slop, is that typical? I heard the newer ones use a knob and no longer have a lever. Thanks

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't had an issue with truck stop nozzles or shifter slop.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
A couple more questions. The fuel tank fill hole looks too small for a truck stop nozzle. And why is there not a cover or cap on the fill opening, looks like a great place for fuel contamination. Lastly, the gear shift lever seems like it has a lot of slop, is that typical? I heard the newer ones use a knob and no longer have a lever. Thanks
The shifter slop is due to the bolt holding the shift lever loosening up. It is easy to pop the rubber trim off and re-tighten. A dab of loctite would eliminate having to tighten it again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Nozzles fit fine.

Many have a locking fuel cap from Genos (I do) - as well as a locking DEF cap.

Only the Hemi (8-speed) uses a dash mounted shift knob. Cummins trucks are still lever. As said, the bolt can loosen, probably not being torqued correctly at build on some, but it's an easy fix.

Billcf7

Reaction score
I have been a Ford guy since shortly after birth, but am looking at Ram dually's. We pull a 15K fifth wheel about 7000 miles per year and have always had SRW F350's. Thinking that a dually would be better, I noticed a couple of used Ram's at a local dealer, a 19 loaded and a 22 Tradesman. I prefer the look of the Ram dually's bed over the ford or GMC, other than that I know nothing about Rams, except what I have read on this and other forums. I did notice the turning radius is better than the 350. I must admit that in reading about the Aisin tranny and some heater bolt issues I am a little concerned. But I am sure there are thousands running just fine with routine maintenance. I have not gone over and test drove just a quick drive by. It has been about 6 years since a bought a truck and don't relish the experience, especially the crazy prices. So tell me some good things about them. I know the interent is full of bad news, but I would like to hear from folks who have had great luck with their trucks and service
Be sure all recalls have been performed.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Truck nozzles fit fine in my 3500. I use a Geno's fuel cap.

Clarence007

Reaction score
My 22 diesel dually hauls a 13000 lb boat or a large 5th wheel just fine. Truck stop nozzles fit just fine. My filler has a plastic cap over it that seems to work well. The DEF filler is able to be filled with the nozzle at the bulk station. The air suspension works great. H.O. engine has loads of power. My only complaint is that the turbo spools up slower than my old Duramax.

Benson

Reaction score
The shifter lever on my 19 loosened up. I just pulled the rubber boot back, tightened the bolt for the shifter arm and put the boot back in place. Truck stop nozzles fit fine and there are several companies that make caps for the fuel filler. some that even lock.

Ziggy

Reaction score
Nozzles fit fine.

Many have a locking fuel cap from Genos (I do) - as well as a locking DEF cap.

Only the Hemi (8-speed) uses a dash mounted shift knob. Cummins trucks are still lever. As said, the bolt can loosen, probably not being torqued correctly at build on some, but it's an easy fix.
I just got both the locking Fuel and DEF caps from Genos. They are pricey but excellent quality. They lock down well and with the cost of fuel and the wackjob climate terrorists, I don't want my fuel stolen or worse, someone sabotaging either tank to ruin my engine.

Attachments

• Geno.jpg
    Geno.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 15

senecagreen

Reaction score
The 22 has the good fuel pump. The 19 has the one that was prone to failure and expensive damage to the engine. I almost bought a 20 not knowing that. Glad I got a 21 which has the reliable pump.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The 22 has the good fuel pump. The 19 has the one that was prone to failure and expensive damage to the engine. I almost bought a 20 not knowing that. Glad I got a 21 which has the reliable pump.

Can't think of any cases where the HPFP damaged the engine. However, it does trash the fuel system including the injectors. So expensive, yes. Engine damage? Unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread