Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about running 35s on the PW.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So I've got a 75th AE on order. Doing my research on mods I want to do. And of course 35s come up.

So I've got some questions for those who run them.
1. Any issues rubbing when running them on factory rims?
2. Did you see a increase or decrease in MPG?
3. Did you see a increase or decrease in performance turning the bigger tires?
4. Did you have any issues towing with the bigger tires?

I ask this as I have a 04 Chevy I built for the wife. 4.10 gears but a 5.3 LS.
I had originally put 35s on it but never towed with it. It seemed to work just fine.
I then went to 37s and tried once to tow a toy hauler but had issues.
I have a 01 Ford V10 with 4.30 gears and 33s and it tows great. But gas mileage is not so good.
I'm getting rid of the Ford when I get my PW. I'll be using it to haul loads and pull a occasional toy hauler.

Any input is appreciated

Wobly

Reaction score
I put 35's on my 75A on Saturday, less than 24 hours after getting the truck. I put on Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's in 315/70-17.
1. Any issues rubbing when running them on factory rims? --Not on the body. I installed mud flaps and at hard-lock left, I can get the tire to touch the mud flap on the driver side.
2. Did you see a increase or decrease in MPG?--I didn't have the stock one's on long enough to tell the MPG.
3. Did you see a increase or decrease in performance turning the bigger tires?--No noticeable difference to me, but the ride is MUCH more comfortable than with the stock tires.
4. Did you have any issues towing with the bigger tires?--I will tell you in a couple of weeks when we take the trailer out camping.

pdavey

Reaction score
Not all 35s are created equal. The answer is yes 35s will fit and it should have come like that from the factory.

With the 4.10 gears and 8 speed trans 35s and even 37s have little impact.

My 37x12.5r17 tires properly calibrated actually have better performance and gas mileage than my 35x12.5r17 tires.

If you go with a metric 315 you are likely not going to encounter any rub. If you go with a 35x12.5 make sure you compare the actual width of the tire. Some of the wider 12.5 will contact the control arm. That was the case with my Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

It wasn't enough I cared about because the "33s" they put on these trucks are anemic and look silly.

Like the second poster I had the dealer pit on the 35s when I purchased the truck so I can't tell you gas mileage change but likely it is negligible.

As I said I am getting better towing and highway MPGs with my 37s.

BTW these trucks in the new configs 19+ scream for 37s

In short just do it. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Iowagon

Reaction score
I'll be interested in going to at least a 35 when this first set of tires wear out. I happen to like the Duratracs. They felt very good in the snow which is my primary concern. I will want to stick with stock wheels though. So following this thread closely.

19_Ram3500

Reaction score
I have a 6.7 diesel 2019 BigHorn 3500 with 18” rims.

Would be any rubbing or problems if I mount 35x12.5x r18 on stock 18” rims?

Singlefin

Reaction score
I've been running AT3W 35s and see about 13mpg around town and on longer highway trips between 15-17mpg. I did a bit over 550 miles the other day got 16.8mpg. Performance difference is negligible to me. If stowing a 37 under the bed was feasible I'd run 37s. No issue or concerns with towing a two axle utility trailer.

jadmt

Reaction score
as was said not all 35's are created equal. I know from experience that BFG KO2 run small as do Falken AT3W compared to Nitto Ridge grapplers or Toyo RT's. I have way too many tires but it is what I like to do. I will say that my 2020 PW definitely feels 35's compared to stock power wise, also make sure you calibrate your speedo so your shift points are corrected as well as the speedometer as your computer uses speed among other things. I put 3000 miles on stock before switching to Toyo 35's. MPG has taken a slight hit but some of that could be from having to use more skinny pedal to get up and go with the bigger tires. Braking also is slightly affected. I am running AEV wheels so no rubbing anywhere. If were getting new tires tomorrow i would probably go with some 285/75-17's. Almost as tall as some 35's and would fit in the spare location easier. You can get most 35's up there but it takes some finesse to get them up in there.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
This is the most over-thought thing that comes up every week

It’s about a 4% change to go up from a factory tire to a typical 35x12.50 tire (~34.6”) even if you get the largest 35” (285/75-18 or ~35.4”) it’s right at a 6% change just do it and don’t worry about it.

@JC

Reaction score
I've been running AT3W 35s and see about 13mpg around town and on longer highway trips between 15-17mpg. I did a bit over 550 miles the other day got 16.8mpg. Performance difference is negligible to me. If stowing a 37 under the bed was feasible I'd run 37s. No issue or concerns with towing a two axle utility trailer.

Not saying I don't believe you but unless your highway miles are 55 downhill with a tailwind well I don't believe you.

With 35s I get around 12mpg on the interstate and around 10.5 in town. The PW is a tall, heavy rolling brick.

MrPatriot

Reaction score
Not saying I don't believe you but unless your highway miles are 55 downhill with a tailwind well I don't believe you.

With 35s I get around 12mpg on the interstate and around 10.5 in town. The PW is a tall, heavy rolling brick.
Agreed. I'm lucky if my 75A PW breaks double digits around town. Granted, I just passed 1k miles, but my mpg sucks. Didn't buy it for fuel efficiency though. Highway driving gets me around 11-12mpg.

Still rolling on stocks Duratrac tires. Waiting for my new rims and 35" Ridge Grapplers to get in and be installed. Looking forward to getting rid of the stock tires as the ride is pretty rough.

Singlefin

Reaction score

Hear you, seeing above 14 - 15mpg on the highway is what made me hand calc to confirm. My PW has 26k, aside from tires and S&B intake is otherwise stock. The 16.8 I stated was after driving two 300 mile round trips from where I live in the gorge to Bend, OR. Repeated trips to MT and CO have been about 15mpg consistently. I drive ~68mph on the interstate, use tow and turn off MDS daily. Daily mixed use I average 12.8mpg. YRMV.

Stojanowski

Reaction score
I need to hand calculate one day but my cluster says 11.8 mpg average... 50/50 mix I suppose. Running 37s

mcarey

Reaction score
Those of you who made the move to 35s, or 37s I suppose, what did you do with the spare?

With 35s, I've seen some people mention just keeping the 33 as the spare, or deflating and carrying a compressor. I have no interest in keeping my spare in the bed or on a rear-mount.

Trying to come up with a game plan for when my truck arrives. Currently tossing and turning between KO2s, which I have had on my 4Runner for 5 years, or the Wildpeaks as they seem to be well liked across the forums I've read as well.

Wobly

Reaction score
I put on the Wildpeaks in 315/70-17. I put the spare under the truck, but had to deflate it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

@JC

Reaction score
My 35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grappler spare fit in the stock spare location just fine without airing it down.

jadmt

Reaction score
lots of people have trouble putting 35's under but I think they are using the wrong technique. I have Toyo 35's and was able to finesse it up there. I did however deflate it to get it to pop all the way up. No big deal I carry a vaire 400P compressor so if I need it I will just pump it up.

Wobly

Reaction score
I'll probably go with BFG KO2s. 35x12.50. A good all around tire.
I had KO2's on my 1500. Loved them! They worked well for anything I needed them to do. For my PW, I got the decision down to the KO2's and the Wildpeaks. I decided to try the Wildpeaks knowing that I could always go back to what I know. So far, the Wildpeaks have impressed me. Especially yesterday in the mud and snow!

jadmt

Reaction score
I'll probably go with BFG KO2s. 35x12.50. A good all around tire.
I have run KO2 on my jeep but I have read people have said they do not hold up as well on the heavier rigs. I have run both KO2's and Falken at3w on my jeeps and actually give the nod to the falkens.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I have Cooper Discover AT3's on my F250 and they have worked great in the sand dunes pulling a toy hauler, off road in Baja and Nevada loaded down with race gear, and on the highway. 30K miles and still have a lot of tread left.
BFG just stepped up as the main sponsor for the race team I support, so was thinking of going back to their AT's. May be able to get a deal on some. :cool:
I've run both their AT's and MT's on several of my off road vehicles and they worked great.

Users who are viewing this thread