Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about: 2020 3500 LARAMIE for full time RV

TxWanderWoman

Reaction score
We're selling our house and taking advantage of being empty nest remote workers! We're leaving Texas and will be based out of Colorado for awhile due to my husband's job.
We are going to be pulling a 40ft Cedar Creek Champagne 5th wheel. We've looked at so many trucks and found a 2020 3500 Laramie DRW that hits every bullet point for what we're wanting/needing, plus extras that are just really nice.
I had diesel dually trucks in the past when I hauled horses, but it's been a long time! A really long time!
I'm seeing people either love or hate the 2020 2500 and 3500. Everything I'm reading about the CP4 has me a little scared. I can't find any information on the fuel infection system, even with searching by the VIN. We're going back to the dealership this evening since we have some questions.
This is a big investment... and we want to make the right one. The RV forums sing the praises on the RAM and how well it pulls these bigger trailers.
What should we look for in this truck?
What should we watch for and be wary of?
Here are some of the specs...
ENGINE: 6.7L I6 CUMMINS HD TURBO DIESEL -inc: Selective Catalytic Reduction (Urea) Dual 730 Amp Maintenance Free Batteries Cummins Turbo Diesel Badge Heavy Duty Engine Cooling Supplemental Heater 220 Amp Alternator GVWR: 12 300 lbs Current Generation Engine Controller Diesel Exhaust Brake Capless Fuel Fill w/o Discriminator
TRANSMISSION: 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC AISIN AS69RC HD -inc: 12.0 Single Rear Wheel Axle Transmission Oil Cooler

Thanks, y'all!

Attachments

• 20210623_201409.jpg
    20210623_201409.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 26

Don-T

Reaction score
Either the specs are for a different truck or the truck you are looking at is not a dually. The specs show the GVWR at 12,300. A dually will be 14,000 pounds.

Doesn’t really matter though. I would pass on it and look for a truck that has the CP3. You may never have trouble with the CP4 but it is an expensive and time consuming fix waiting for parts. Why take the chance when it is easily avoided?

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have to agree with Don-T. Better to look for a 2018 or a 2021 that fits your needs. Both have a 14,000 GVWR in the dual wheel configuration and also use the CP3 high pressure pump which is more reliable than the CP4 pumps in the 2019 and 2020s. However the if you can't find one in the 18 or 21 model years, the chances of a CP4 failure are probably less than 1 percent. Good luck in your adventures.

Users who are viewing this thread