Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for those with bags and cradles on Carli leveled truck

Zeus2018

Reaction score
Running the Carli 2.5" kit on my 22' 3500 with the rear 1" block. I get the smallest amount of squat with my travel trailer, maybe 1-2" when hooked up. I don't really need bags but interested purely for aesthetic reasons. Will cradles and bags with low pressure be enough to bring the rig back to level? Hoping I wouldn't need to put tons of pressure in them to get enough height back.

Hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

Dinky503

Reaction score
Running the Carli 2.5" kit on my 22' 3500 with the rear 1" block. I get the smallest amount of squat with my travel trailer, maybe 1-2" when hooked up. I don't really need bags but interested purely for aesthetic reasons. Will cradles and bags with low pressure be enough to bring the rig back to level? Hoping I wouldn't need to put tons of pressure in them to get enough height back.

Hope my question makes sense. Thanks!

Depends on how much weight is there. The cradles only work for 5,000lbs bags. Before I changed my leaf springs to thurens I used about 50psi for 3,000lbs in bed to bring back to level. If you go this route look into the wireless one air compressor it is fantastic.

Zeus2018

Reaction score
Depends on how much weight is there. The cradles only work for 5,000lbs bags. Before I changed my leaf springs to thurens I used about 50psi for 3,000lbs in bed to bring back to level. If you go this route look into the wireless one air compressor it is fantastic.
Ok awesome. What level kit are you running?

jsalbre

Reaction score
If you're running a weight distribution hitch with your travel trailer and you add air bags make sure you readjust your hitch with the bags filled, as adding air to the bags will remove pressure (and thus weight distribution and sway control) from the hitch.

Zeus2018

Reaction score
If you're running a weight distribution hitch with your travel trailer and you add air bags make sure you readjust your hitch with the bags filled, as adding air to the bags will remove pressure (and thus weight distribution and sway control) from the hitch.
Ok great, thanks for the heads up. Don't have bags yet, just planning for the summer.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
the 5k bags will fix ya up. I use them on a carli 3" / 2.5" combo and run 80lbs. on a 1.1k tw travel trailer.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

This is only true if you raise the height of the hitch to a point that is higher than it was when you setup the WDH.

The best way to ensure you maintain full WDH weight transfer is to setup the WDH with a empty truck and full trailer. Note the height of the receiver on the truck, then only inflate the airbags to that height when you add payload to the truck and the WDH will have the same weight transfer forces.

jsalbre

Reaction score
This is only true if you raise the height of the hitch to a point that is higher than it was when you setup the WDH.

The best way to ensure you maintain full WDH weight transfer is to setup the WDH with an empty truck and full trailer. Note the height of the receiver on the truck, then only inflate the airbags to that height when you add payload to the truck and the WDH will have the same weight transfer forces.
That works too, I’ve just found it easier to explain to people the other way around. Your way is definitely going to produce the most accurate results.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
What bags are you going to buy? I don’t know much about this but I’m looking at adding them to my truck in the next few years to pull a travel trailer.

Thanks

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I am running the Carli 2.5” with Fox shocks. Also have the airlift 5000 and wireless one onboard air. Both work great and level the truck just fine. With my 5er if I run 40# it brings it back to level. Approx 1700# pin weight. I’m considering adding the day star cradles as I’ve noticed a little rougher ride after adding the bags.

Users who are viewing this thread