Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the "new" CP3 fuel pump, or whatever it is called, currently in use...

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hi - this is not about the recall, or failures of CP4, or the "previous generation" CP3, or whatever fix Ram is coming out with for the recall ... I am curious what are the thoughts about the "new CP3" being used on new trucks.

I don't know when Ram switched from the CP4, but when they did switch, is the overall community happy with what is being used instead of the CP4?

I also know its not really a CP3 but I have no idea what the real designation/model is, so I'm going with the "new, but not the old CP3" lol.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The new pump is the CP-ISB21S3.

Believed to be, and form all outward appearances, a reworked CP3. Either bored or stroked (most likely) and possible run at a higher RPM to increase the fuel rail pressure.

FWIW, the aftermarket offers both (bored or stroked) CP3 pumps. CP3 are near bulletproof and if they do fail, the pump lube/cam section is isolated from the fuel supply section.

Unaware that anyone has been inside the CP-ISB21S3 pump yet.

index.php

flan

Reaction score
Hi - this is not about the recall, or failures of CP4, or the "previous generation" CP3, or whatever fix Ram is coming out with for the recall ... I am curious what are the thoughts about the "new CP3" being used on new trucks.

I don't know when Ram switched from the CP4, but when they did switch, is the overall community happy with what is being used instead of the CP4?

I also know its not really a CP3 but I have no idea what the real designation/model is, so I'm going with the "new, but not the old CP3" lol.
Out of the dozen or so boards/pages I peruse, not 1 failure to date.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
I am not so sure I am ready to have any problems pulling a load over some mountain pass somewhere only to be stuck by a recall failure. On the other hand, I am not so sure I want the replacement due to something never going back together just right by someone else and their skill. Oh the drama!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I am not so sure I am ready to have any problems pulling a load over some mountain pass somewhere only to be stuck by a recall failure. On the other hand, I am not so sure I want the replacement due to something never going back together just right by someone else and their skill. Oh the drama!

The pump replacement is a pretty straight forward job. I'd much rather have that done than have the dealer inside my interior chasing a rattle or replacing the AC components.

Users who are viewing this thread