Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Surround View camera system

AlpineFueled

Reaction score
Hi all -- new user here. I'm researching trucks for a truck camper that I ordered (will be available June 2023) and the RAM 2500 (SuperCrew 4x4 Big Horn) is at the top of my list.

I have a question about the Surround View camera system. If the tailgate is removed, does it disable the entire view? Or just the back view?

I will likely add some sort of replacement backup camera to see behind, but I'm hoping the truck will still enable the other cameras (front & sides) after the tailgate is removed.

Thanks for the info.

gprguy

Reaction score
I believe it just disables the rear section of the surround, but I am sure others can say for sure.

That said if you are getting a truck camper, consider also getting the digital rear view mirror. Normally the camera for it looks out of the center brake light on the back of the cab, which of course would be blocked by the truck camper. However there is an add on camera kit you can get to mount on the back of your camper, plug in to the truck's bumper, and switch the mirror over to that view. It'd be like seeing through your camper when looking in the rear view mirror.

I'm planning on having both for my camper, as the surround more looks "down" at the ground for maneuvering and the digital rear view looks more backwards to see what's further behind you.

Make sure the 2500 has enough payload for your camper, they get heavy quick and a 2500 doesn't have a lot to begin with - especially if it's a diesel. Good luck with the process!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a dust cover you install if you remove the tailgate. The removal of the camera will not disable the rest of the system, it just shows black for the rear view on the overhead display.

There are kits to relocate or you can DIY relocate the camera if you chose. However, I agree that you should look into the digital rear view mirror with the tow mode camera. The camera displays in the mirror and also tilts down when you reverse.

I also second the recommendation to strongly consider if a 2500 is well suited to carry a truck camper. Unless it's a lightweight popup off-road style camper, you'll be overloaded. Do not base your decision off the published payload numbers as those are for base stripped down models. Any options you add reduce the payload. There's a thread here with payload stickers you could search for similar trucks and get a better idea.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with everything that’s been said about the camera system and a 2500.

Get a 3500, preferably with the auto-level feature.

No SuperCrew cab on a Ram, that’s a Ford thing.

AlpineFueled

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll look into the digital rear view mirror because that sounds super helpful.

My camper only weighs 1,200 pounds dry. I'm estimating the full load (including wet camper, gear, and passengers) will not exceed 2,200 pounds, so the 2500 should be fine. I'm leaning toward gas over diesel and the payload capacity of trucks I've seen is about 3,000 pounds.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll look into the digital rear view mirror because that sounds super helpful.

My camper only weighs 1,200 pounds dry. I'm estimating the full load (including wet camper, gear, and passengers) will not exceed 2,200 pounds, so the 2500 should be fine. I'm leaning toward gas over diesel and the payload capacity of trucks I've seen is about 3,000 pounds.

Dry weight on slide-in campers is notorious for being low. You don't have a lot of wiggle room there, if you're concerned about GVWR.

The biggest benefit to the 3500 is the suspension. The 2500's coils are pretty far inboard for higher CG loads like a slide-in, which means an anti-sway bar upgrade and airbags are likely needed right out of the gate. The 3500's rear suspension is a better setup for this kind of load.

gprguy

Reaction score
I agree with AH64ID - I've had 2500, 3500 single rear wheel and 3500 duallies throughout the years. A 3500 SRW can be physically the same size as a 2500, cost probably a grand or less more, ride almost as good unloaded and basically be no different day to day but be a much more capable truck. If you were to do a 3500 SRW with the optional air suspension you'd barely know it's back there and the truck would always sit level and safe with your camper.

In regards to the digital rear view mirror - I didn't catch that you were looking at a Big Horn, I am not 100% sure if you can get it on that trim level. But if you can, it's a great solution.

buzzuti

Reaction score
I too echo some of the other comments on 3500 v 2500.

Though you will come in under payload with the 2500, based on your comments/ desc.
The 3500 will give you plenty of room to grow, and serious piece of mind.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I decided to look at the price difference (never priced a 2500 lol) . The 3500 is less than $1500 more than the 2500 when you factor in that the 3500 comes standard with the LSD and tow hooks, both of which I would order on a 2500.

So for under $1500 you get an extra 1,000lbs of GVWR on a short bed, or 1,400 lbs on a long bed. Plus the 7K rated rear axle and a suspension that handles high CG’s better. That’s a simple choice IMHO.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I decided to look at the price difference (never priced a 2500 lol) . The 3500 is less than $1500 more than the 2500 when you factor in that the 3500 comes standard with the LSD and tow hooks, both of which I would order on a 2500.

So for under $1500 you get an extra 1,000lbs of GVWR on a short bed, or 1,400 lbs on a long bed. Plus the 7K rated rear axle and a suspension that handles high CG’s better. That’s a simple choice IMHO.
If all you care about is numbers it's a simple choice, but there's a reason that the 2500 uses coil springs and the 3500 uses leafs. The coil springs make for a more compliant ride, and allow more axle articulation.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If all you care about is numbers it's a simple choice, but there's a reason that the 2500 uses coil springs and the 3500 uses leafs. The coil springs make for a more compliant ride, and allow more axle articulation.

Meh, maybe an unfair comparison but the 3500 auto-level is a much more compliant ride than the 2500, empty or loaded. That does add another $1700 over the 2500 thou.

Yes there is the 2500 air suspension, but the narrow stance of the springs is still an issue with heavy and higher loads that 3500 doesn’t have.

How much more axle articulation? Rear axle articulation has yet to be an issue and I’ve done some mild wheeling (the crawling modded Toyota days are long behind me) The break over angle and 169” wheelbase are a much greater hinderance than the rear axle articulation ever will be.

Besides at the end of the day the OP is taking about a truck for a slide-in camper, which makes it really hard to argue a 2500 over a 3500 when there just aren’t any advantages other than a little cost savings.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Meh, maybe an unfair comparison but the 3500 auto-level is a much more compliant ride than the 2500, empty or loaded. That does add another $1700 over the 2500 thou.

Yes there is the 2500 air suspension, but the narrow stance of the springs is still an issue with heavy and higher loads that 3500 doesn’t have.

How much more axle articulation? Rear axle articulation has yet to be an issue and I’ve done some mild wheeling (the crawling modded Toyota days are long behind me) The break over angle and 169” wheelbase are a much greater hinderance than the rear axle articulation ever will be.

Besides at the end of the day the OP is taking about a truck for a slide-in camper, which makes it really hard to argue a 2500 over a 3500 when there just aren’t any advantages other than a little cost savings.
The difference in articulation isn’t huge from stock, but it is there. You’ll just never get the same flexibility out of leafs that you can from a 5 link.

Definitely no argument at all that the 3500 is much better at handling large loads, especially those like a truck camper. I just wanted to point out that unlike the F250 vs F350 there’s a difference between the 2500 and 3500 that isn’t just how much load it can handle.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The difference in articulation isn’t huge from stock, but it is there. You’ll just never get the same flexibility out of leafs that you can from a 5 link.

Fully depends on the setup. Short arm OEM 5-links don’t flex as much as many people want to think they do. It takes a long arm 5 link to get the articulation, and the OEM Ram 2500 5 link is not a long arm setup.

20 years ago I touched the 5 link rear suspension off a 4Runner and replaced it with leafs. The articulation increase was impressive, nearly double. The off-road capabilities were night and day better with the leafs. The tires stuffed further and dropped a lot further. The rig also handled better on the road, thou it wasn’t quite as soft/plush of a ride empty, but from an off-road standpoint the leafs embarrassed the 5 link. I could have made a better 5 link, but it would have involved a lot of custom stuff and a few relocations, not at all worth it for what little gains it would have potentially had over the leafs.

Point being is that a 5 link isn’t always more flexible.

Don’t get me wrong, I like a good 5 link rear suspension. 2 of my 3 vehicles have one, and they ride awesome and do great loaded to their axle ratings but both have a GVWR less than the FAWR of my 3500, so really not much weight to deal with. They also have surprisingly little articulation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread