Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PW rock slider "steps"... kinda worthless

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
White knuckles are sweet. Super heavy duty.

those, Maple and Rocky Mountain I think..the only real sliders for these except custom fab. Not sure if ADD makes them for these trucks but they saved my Raptor from untold damage…the bottom of those things were bashed but held up
and White Knuckles make em’ look downright wimpy.

Last edited:

LsDelancy

Reaction score
They are over gouging on the shipping. I shipped my RAM slider/step half way across the country on UPS for $100.

And I'd double check on the AMP step and randy Ellis slider combability. Not yea, we think it will work. But yes we have installed that combo on a RAM truck and it works.

After trying for months to figure out how I could make the AMP steps and OEM sliders work, I could not come up with a solution. And I don't give up easy.

Only way I see it working is if the Aftermarket sliders are dropped down enough for the AMP step to work between the slider and the body, AND the slider would have to be bolted directly to the frame. But then you will lose ground clearance as the slider will be about 4 inches or more BELOW the body pinch weld.

I reached out to Randy Ellis and the reply I got was "Yes, we have installed our sliders (without tubes) and the AMP steps together.". If they weren't on the other side of the country I would just get the AMP steps and go there for them to install both.
It's hard to swallow $1K sliders, $1.6K steps, and $600 + in shipping. I used to ship freight all the time and I rarely paid over $250.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I reached out to Randy Ellis and the reply I got was "Yes, we have installed our sliders (without tubes) and the AMP steps together.". If they weren't on the other side of the country I would just get the AMP steps and go there for them to install both.
It's hard to swallow $1K sliders, $1.6K steps, and $600 + in shipping. I used to ship freight all the time and I rarely paid over $250.

Call white knuckle and maple for a quote complete with shipping imo. Get real, frame mounted sliders..imo.
The Amps are vulnerable to damage imo. They will open on to rocks and into trees/bushes. They can ”grab” sticks and other things while closing, they close with enough authority to damage the body when doing so. If the door isn’t completely closed the steps remain down while driving off, if they catch a berm or rock while doing so the damage caused to the cab and step could be extensive. These are all things I experienced soon after buying my truck and taking it on a week long deer hunt. Luckily only the steps took some shots, they still sold quickly. They could be unplugged for the duration of wheeling but then there are no steps. Also, I stepped on one to binocular distance and the driver door pushed shut closing the step while I stood on it. It struck me as a mouse trap for folks if somehow caught in it…not good for any solo and remote wheeling. Gladly, I didn’t find out if they feature any kind of rebound safety.
They also require dubious relocation of frame mounted components depending on a PW’s configuration and are overly complicated vs something that can offer true and massively strong protection/steps…imo

Last edited:

LsDelancy

Reaction score
Call white knuckle and maple for a quote complete with shipping imo. Get real, frame mounted sliders..imo.
The Amps are vulnerable to damage imo. They will open on to rocks and into trees/bushes. They can ”grab” sticks and other things while closing, they close with enough authority to damage the body when doing so. If the door isn’t completely closed the steps remain down while driving off, if they catch a berm or rock while doing so the damage caused to the cab and step could be extensive. These are all things I experienced soon after buying my truck and taking it on a week long deer hunt. Luckily only the steps took some shots, they still sold quickly. They could be unplugged for the duration of wheeling but then there are no steps. Also, I stepped on one to binocular distance and the driver door pushed shut closing the step while I stood on it. It struck me as a mouse trap for folks if somehow caught in it…not good for any solo and remote wheeling. Gladly, I didn’t find out if they feature any kind of rebound safety.
They also require dubious relocation of frame mounted components depending on a PW’s configuration and are overly complicated vs something that can offer true and massively strong protection/steps…imo

Do you have a link to the product you are talking about?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the product you are talking about?

”Rocky Road”….haven’t seen these in person but the reputation is good..

Hibiki54

Reaction score
I wouldn't call them fully worthless. They work as advertised when I was coming off of some obstacles. I still wouldn't use them to pivot, though.

Shake N Bake

Reaction score
FWIW, White Knuckle charged me $375 shipping for the sliders. CA all the way to South FL. Wight was over 300lbs. And that was at the height of the pandemic when fuel was a good amount more that it is today.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Maybe I just have big feet? IDK...
It's not the height, it the width.
I think I found a solution. The Randy Ellis Designs sliders will fit with the AMP steps (verified with the manufacturer), I'll probably go with that.
I see that picture on their site as I was thinking the OEM or AMP power steps would be incompatible with a rocks slider. This looks really good, and would certainly work, but it appears that IF you really are in a place where you NEED the slider on a trail, you will have already wrecked your power steps and done a pretty serious job on the pinch weld area. Am I missing something?

LsDelancy

Reaction score
I wouldn't call them fully worthless. They work as advertised when I was coming off of some obstacles. I still wouldn't use them to pivot, though.
I was referring to the steps. They are so painfully narrow.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'd think about what kind of stuff you plan to do with your truck, before you decide on what you want.

White Knuckle / Maple Off-road are obviously beefy. They work amazing as sliders and can take crazy hits for sure. If you're doing moab level rock crawling, these should be your primary choice I feel. They work well as steps, but depending on how high they are due to lift and tire size, they are less than ideal, especially if you're vertically challenged.

Randy Ellis Designs are more beefy than they get credit for, but are by no means as strong as frame mounted sliders. The reason to go with these is purely because you can get Amp steps. Amp steps work much better as a "step" than a slider ever will, and are much better for use as a daily.

The Synergy ram 2500 is running a design very similar to the Randy Ellis bar, and XJs around use this design (slight difference due to unibody XJ design).

For the sort of trails I hit, and my truck being a daily with a wife and kids, the AMP steps are a functional requirement. I've toyed with creating a design that incorporated AMP steps plus a frame mounted slider, but I think the cost would be pretty high so I doubt they would get much use. I may have something fabbed for my own personal use. If I wanted to buy something off the shelf the Randy Ellis and Amp steps combo is hard to beat for anything less than moab wheeling.

The drilling into the cab is def something, but so long as you're doing the correct protection for rust prevention, I think it's not a huge issue.

LsDelancy

Reaction score
FWIW, White Knuckle charged me $375 shipping for the sliders. CA all the way to South FL. Wight was over 300lbs. And that was at the height of the pandemic when fuel was a good amount more that it is today.
I could see 300 - 350 from Arizona to Florida, but 600+ ?!

LsDelancy

Reaction score
I'd think about what kind of stuff you plan to do with your truck, before you decide on what you want.

White Knuckle / Maple Off-road are obviously beefy. They work amazing as sliders and can take crazy hits for sure. If you're doing moab level rock crawling, these should be your primary choice I feel. They work well as steps, but depending on how high they are due to lift and tire size, they are less than ideal, especially if you're vertically challenged.

Randy Ellis Designs are more beefy than they get credit for, but are by no means as strong as frame mounted sliders. The reason to go with these is purely because you can get Amp steps. Amp steps work much better as a "step" than a slider ever will, and are much better for use as a daily.

The Synergy ram 2500 is running a design very similar to the Randy Ellis bar, and XJs around use this design (slight difference due to unibody XJ design).

For the sort of trails I hit, and my truck being a daily with a wife and kids, the AMP steps are a functional requirement. I've toyed with creating a design that incorporated AMP steps plus a frame mounted slider, but I think the cost would be pretty high so I doubt they would get much use. I may have something fabbed for my own personal use. If I wanted to buy something off the shelf the Randy Ellis and Amp steps combo is hard to beat for anything less than moab wheeling.

The drilling into the cab is def something, but so long as you're doing the correct protection for rust prevention, I think it's not a huge issue.
That’s valid. I have a TJ for real hardcore stuff. But I will use the PW for moderate trails. Maybe I’ll give it some time to see if I get used to the OE “steps”.

Shake N Bake

Reaction score
I could see 300 - 350 from Arizona to Florida, but 600+ ?!
Im guessing WK gets better shipping rates than RE. When I spoke to RE about their sliders they quoted me $900 for freight. Heck, the RE Light Bar cost $89 to ship UPS to South Florida. I thought that was a little expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread