Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PW resonator removal sound

supergeess

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to the scene and love the PW, but don't care for the resonator and tailpipe look. Even before buying my PW, I've considered completely removing the resonator and redo the tailpipe/tip portion from just before where the resonator was. I've already read of someone else doing the same thing, but am unsure of what the sound difference is form stock. Any input if greatly appreciated.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I was never crazy about the resonator location either. Seems like they could have designed that better. Id really like to see the side pipes that were on the TRX prototype offered. That was a cool look

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CJTEX

Just came here to flex
Reaction score
It's kind of BS they didn't put a nicer exhaust on the PW considering the price and how 1500s get a nice setup.

whitexc

Reaction score
Search around. It has been removed by some and replaced by a short piece of pipe and a nice tip.....it's all about the tip. Little to no drone has been reported but that is all subjective. HD Hemi exhaust does look pretty bad in stock form.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

supergeess

Reaction score
Search around. It has been removed by some and replaced by a short piece of pipe and a nice tip.....it's all about the tip. Little to no drone has been reported but that is all subjective. HD Hemi exhaust does look pretty bad in stock form.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device
Yeah, I've seen a couple posts on here...but unsure of sound...

Shake N Bake

Reaction score
I've removed the resonator on my truck. Just ran a straight pipe in its place, cut off the factory tip from the resonator and re used it. Rotated it up closer to the body for more clearance. To me, it sounds the same, and I don't hear any difference inside the cab. After removing it I painted the rear section flat black and painted the heat shield as well, looks much cleaner now. There is no real place behind the factory muffler to mount a resonator. I tried a magna flow muffler with this set up and it was obnoxious, removed it from the truck after a few days.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Found a YouTube video from a 2019 PW.

I will warn you though, the video portion itself may make you motion sick.

supergeess

Reaction score
Dude is hilarious! Video was super helpful...
Thanks for finding and posting.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yep, got rid of mine at 50 miles.
Now have 6K miles on it.
No drone at all. Sounds good at idle.
You can hear it in the cab when you get on it.
Dont even notice it when just crusing, even with the radio off. Can hear it some with the windows down.
Sounds like it should have from the factory. Not loud or obnoxious. Just a nice little rumble.

britome

Reaction score
Having problems with scraping the tailpipe off road. You guys are removing the resonator and the pipe is just staying under the truck with not issues with heat, etc? If so, I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread