Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PW Flat Tow/ Quick Build

n0arp

Reaction score
We traded our 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon for a 2022 Power Wagon about two weeks ago. The Jeep spent six weeks in the shop for warranty motor repairs before we gave up on it, but Stellantis corporate really stood up and made things right for us, so we stayed in the FCA family. The dealer it was at didn't have anything we were really interested in to replace our built Jeep, but the Power Wagon piqued our interest. We had a 2019 Ram 3500 and 2021 Ram 5500 previously, which were used for fifth wheel and truck camper duty. At this point, we're traveling in our dream coach but would like to eventually add something like a Black Series HQ19 to the mix so we can get back to some of the sites we could only get to with the truck camper.

The PW was used, stock with 5K miles on it, and optioned almost exactly as we would option it. The previous owner put an aFe intake and MBRP exhaust on it, but that's the end of mods as far as I know. We put 37x12.50 Toyo MTs on it, lights, ARB OBA, AirLift 5000 bags with Daystar cradles, DiamondBack HD tonneau cover with Yakima HD system, and a few other mods, which I'm happy to discuss if anyone has questions or wants more info.

The big issue for us is flat towing - we took a gamble, Blue Ox makes a baseplate for the gas 2500, but says it does not fit PW. It fit with with the exception of the inner plate (acts as a large washer that captures three bolts and sandwiches the frame rail), which wouldn't clear the winch - I made a slightly different one in my shop that still performs the same purpose, which works great. We chose the Demco Air Force One braking system, and Curt wiring harness with coiled 4 to 7 pin cable, and did our best to make all the tow gear blend in with the front. Went on a short 20mi test drive to make sure it pulls well today, and there were no surprises. We'll finally be hitting the road again next week, after way too long at an RV park (at least we own a few sites here, and have a 14x36' workshop to make things easier). This was a rushed build because we're in a hurry to get back out there, but I didn't take any shortcuts.

IMG_6516.jpegIMG_6517.jpegIMG_6519.jpegIMG_6469.jpegIMG_6475.jpegIMG_6479.jpegIMG_6512.jpegIMG_6513.jpegIMG_6496.jpegIMG_6493.jpeg

Last edited:

n0arp

Reaction score
170mi for our initial travel day, no issues with towing at all. Red flag warning with 30mph+ sustained and 50mph+ gusts, to the side for the first half and then into a headwind. We usually don't travel in that kind of weather but wanted to get moving, and the rig drove well regardless. Due to the weather, it's hard to compare much of anything with the Jeep, however the entire rig stops remarkably better than with the Wrangler (which used the Roadmaster Invisibrake). Averaged 5.9mpg, the worst we ever have - but I think it was the headwind, not the truck.

I cannot stress enough how much of a difference there is with braking. The Jeep was adequately braked to stop itself, and behind the MH didn't seem to add or remove distance, one way or the other. This definitely pulls the MH back and I'm confident we could stop in significantly less distance with it connected than the MH by itself. Acceleration on the other hand seems minimally impacted (barely noticable) and I obviously can't speak to MPG or tow manners yet, though it handled the crosswinds very well.

Last edited:

jetrinka

Reaction score
Awesome!

Slightly off topic question - how much would you say that Diamondback cover weighs?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride. Glad you got it set up like you want.
On a FYI, the stock air intake is more than efficient enough to feed the motor all the cold air it can use. ;) at least you didn't have to pay for the aftermarket one. About all it does is give you more intake sound.

jsalbre

Reaction score
You may want to adjust that brake controller down some. Letting the Ram pull back on the MH is going to shorten its brake pad life, and will likely increase the odds of locking the tires up on it if you brake hard, and increase the potential of cooking its brakes.

Glad to hear you’re not tuning into the opposite problem though!

jetrinka

Reaction score
Approx 125lbs. 50lbs for each outer section, and 25lbs for the middle.
Thank you for that. I haven't been able to find a real world weight for the thing.

Great looking setup and PW BTW! They are great rigs to have for adventures like yours.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You may want to adjust that brake controller down some. Letting the Ram pull back on the MH is going to shorten its brake pad life, and will likely increase the odds of locking the tires up on it if you brake hard, and increase the potential of cooking its brakes.

Glad to hear you’re not tuning into the opposite problem though!
I agree. Brakes are turned up too high on the towed vehicle, in my opinion.

If it was a trailer that exceeded the weight of the tow rig I would say they’re probably fine.

n0arp

Reaction score
I agree. Brakes are turned up too high on the towed vehicle, in my opinion.

If it was a trailer that exceeded the weight of the tow rig I would say they’re probably fine.
AFO doesn't use an electronic brake controller, It's by air pressure, with a fixed regulator. They don't offer various pressures or an adjustable regulator, and I'm not planning to retrofit one.

Since it's 100% proportional, it only actually pulls on the MH when you stand on the brakes and send full air pressure back to the cylinder that pushes the pedal down; that isn't something that occurs in normal driving and is welcome in the circumstances that I am standing on the pedal, as long as the tires aren't locking up and breaking free. I haven't been able to lock up the tires on the Ram with it, but have stopped in the shortest distance possible on dry level ground from about 55mph (once, not something I make a habit of, even for testing). It might be an issue in other conditions, but I'm just filing it away as something to be aware of. I was just trying to portray how much better the stopping is, in general - I always suspected the Jeep wasn't doing much (even though I could visibly watch the brake pedal being pushed automatically when testing it), and with this, there is no question it is working.

Last edited:

n0arp

Reaction score
Made it to our next stop. It's in the high 90s here, but there is a mobile fluid change guy we like who comes to you and this wasn't too far out of the way. I don't change my own motorhome fluids if I can help it, being that we have 36qts of oil and 48qts of ATF, plus the generator, and the large fuel filters to figure out how to dispose of. We won't be here long... chasing cooler weather.

IMG_6596.jpegIMG_6601.jpegIMG_6610.jpegdji_fly_20230412_154926_311_1681339778420_photo.jpgdji_fly_20230412_155132_312_1681339902244_photo.jpg

Last edited:

n0arp

Reaction score
The other reason we stopped here is because I found a Method dealer who could order in 17x9 +18mm 704HDs for me, on my timeline. Got them installed today. Trimmed the inner liner and drove around making sharp turns and trying to find all the bumps and dips to see if I could get it to rub - ahhh, no rubbing.

IMG_6617.jpegIMG_6618.jpegIMG_6619.jpegIMG_6620.jpegIMG_6621.jpegIMG_6622.jpeg

Last edited:

n0arp

Reaction score
Ran about 60mi of level 2-5 trails (according to OnX) a couple days ago. I didn't take any photos on technical terrain, but it was a good day of just cruising around the desert and figuring out what the truck can do before moving up to the level 6 trails which I think it is capable of... maybe level 7, with a good spotter. It is exceeding my expectations so far, especially considering that I've been running a JLUR w/ full MetalCloak everything on 37s for the last few years.

IMG_6655.jpegIMG_5981.jpegIMG_6681.jpeg

PowerWagonBob

Reaction score
We traded our 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon for a 2022 Power Wagon about two weeks ago. The Jeep spent six weeks in the shop for warranty motor repairs before we gave up on it, but Stellantis corporate really stood up and made things right for us, so we stayed in the FCA family. The dealer it was at didn't have anything we were really interested in to replace our built Jeep, but the Power Wagon piqued our interest. We had a 2019 Ram 3500 and 2021 Ram 5500 previously, which were used for fifth wheel and truck camper duty. At this point, we're traveling in our dream coach but would like to eventually add something like a Black Series HQ19 to the mix so we can get back to some of the sites we could only get to with the truck camper.

The PW was used, stock with 5K miles on it, and optioned almost exactly as we would option it. The previous owner put an aFe intake and MBRP exhaust on it, but that's the end of mods as far as I know. We put 37x12.50 Toyo MTs on it, lights, ARB OBA, AirLift 5000 bags with Daystar cradles, DiamondBack HD tonneau cover with Yakima HD system, and a few other mods, which I'm happy to discuss if anyone has questions or wants more info.

The big issue for us is flat towing - we took a gamble, Blue Ox makes a baseplate for the gas 2500, but says it does not fit PW. It fit with with the exception of the inner plate (acts as a large washer that captures three bolts and sandwiches the frame rail), which wouldn't clear the winch - I made a slightly different one in my shop that still performs the same purpose, which works great. We chose the Demco Air Force One braking system, and Curt wiring harness with coiled 4 to 7 pin cable, and did our best to make all the tow gear blend in with the front. Went on a short 20mi test drive to make sure it pulls well today, and there were no surprises. We'll finally be hitting the road again next week, after way too long at an RV park (at least we own a few sites here, and have a 14x36' workshop to make things easier). This was a rushed build because we're in a hurry to get back out there, but I didn't take any shortcuts.

View attachment 54368View attachment 54369View attachment 54370View attachment 54371View attachment 54372View attachment 54373View attachment 54375View attachment 54376View attachment 54378View attachment 54379
Hi n0arp - I joined this forum just to ask you about the base plate you manufactured and to see how things have gone since your original post. I'm hopeful to flat tow my 2021 PW (6.4 gas) and I was also wondering if you have a picture of the base plate you created, or might advise on any additional information about it. I plan to follow in your steps by buying a Blue Ox 2500 base plate and then I'll fabricate a new one as you did. Thank you in advance for your time and effort in responding.

Etoimos

Reaction score
That's a nice setup you have there and welcome to the PW family.

Users who are viewing this thread