Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PW 6.4 Procharged

Kennewick_P.Wagon

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new member who's currently waiting for his '22 PW (white, L3) to ship next month. I've been wondering if it's advisable to Procharge the 6.4 Hemi in our Rams and there isn't much information out there, at least where I've looked. I have heard that while the crank is forged, the pistons are the weak link and therefore boosting the 6.4 is discouraged. Anyone else have insight on this subject? Thank you in advance.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
I would LOVE to add one of these to my Limited MegaCab!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new member who's currently waiting for his '22 PW (white, L3) to ship next month. I've been wondering if it's advisable to Procharge the 6.4 Hemi in our Rams and there isn't much information out there, at least where I've looked. I have heard that while the crank is forged, the pistons are the weak link and therefore boosting the 6.4 is discouraged. Anyone else have insight on this subject? Thank you in advance.

Seems like a great option.

jenninr

Reaction score
This article is about building a 6.4 Hemi BGE, but it has a lot of information about the internals of the BGE in this teardown that might be useful to you. It's been a while since i read the article but IIRC the pistons are the weak link like you said.

Kennewick_P.Wagon

Reaction score
That article was very helpful, thank you. So, it would appear that procharging our 6.4 is permissable provided you follow these simple guidelines:
  • Do not run more than 6 psi of boost.
  • Do not push the motor to any more than 650 HP.
The block, heads, crank and cooling jackets are all hellcat/redeye quality, if not better. The Procharger kit runs 6 psi and adds approximately 150 HP. I'm going to go with it, I'll post the install and results when it's done.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
My dealership is putting a Procharger on a '22 PW right now. Problem was getting the HP Tuner, they are out - so they went Diablo and are having to go back and forth a lot with Procharger and Diablo to get everything running smoothly. I haven't checked in on the project in a few weeks, I'll have to reach out and ask.

Kennewick_P.Wagon

Reaction score
My dealership is putting a Procharger on a '22 PW right now. Problem was getting the HP Tuner, they are out - so they went Diablo and are having to go back and forth a lot with Procharger and Diablo to get everything running smoothly. I haven't checked in on the project in a few weeks, I'll have to reach out and ask.
That's really good to know. I've had to do the goat rope between Whipple and SCT with my mustangs in the past, that was a massive pain in the a$$. I may hold off until they get the bugs worked out.

Kennewick_P.Wagon

Reaction score
Any updates on this? I'm itching to add hps and reduce mpgs!!
lol, nothing better than turning your gas needle into a fan! Here's what I know so far: there's a shortage in processors for the programmers Procharger originally designed for use in the PW so they switched to Diablo Sport and there's a lot of bugs they're trying to work out. I'm still waiting on my Wagon to deliver, so I'm in a holding pattern. Once I have the truck, I'm going to start reaching out to Procharger and dealerships that will do the install and see where it's at. My intention is once the bugs are worked out with Diablo, I'll move forward with buying the kit for the install.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
lol, nothing better than turning your gas needle into a fan! Here's what I know so far: there's a shortage in processors for the programmers Procharger originally designed for use in the PW so they switched to Diablo Sport and there's a lot of bugs they're trying to work out. I'm still waiting on my Wagon to deliver, so I'm in a holding pattern. Once I have the truck, I'm going to start reaching out to Procharger and dealerships that will do the install and see where it's at. My intention is once the bugs are worked out with Diablo, I'll move forward with buying the kit for the install.
This is actually the scenerio. I'm waiting for a call back to hear where they are at.

Also, Procharger probably won't net you more MPG; they even say so on their site.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That
This is actually the scenerio. I'm waiting for a call back to hear where they are at.

Also, Procharger probably won't net you more MPG; they even say so on their site.
are both saying worse MPG not better….

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score

I’m pretty sure they weren’t talking about getting better MPG.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Pro charger is putting more fuel into your engine - You’ll be burning through fuel faster. Their tunes also disable ECO mode - which while not a huge savings - does save some fuel.

The only way it /might/ is if it’s able to get enough power to prevent a downshift.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Oh Also - The local dealership was finally havre to deliver their Procharger build. Took nearly 2 months to get the Diablo tunes right. But they were working with several dealerships at the same time - so hopefully they‘ve got a better experience now. Overall the dealership said it was beating b/c of the process and no local access to a dyno to help speed things along.

The owner (and dealership) of the truck said it is a noticeable difference. The owner said he’s not upset with the money spent but probably wouldn’t do it again.

Maxstuff

Reaction score
I’ve been really wanting to do this but honestly wonder how much the extra hp really make a difference when you factor in the weight of the PW. I know a few people are super happy with it. Only thing holding me back is tuning.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
I had a 2005 Chevy Colorado after I graduated from college. Had a vortech supercharger and Intercooler added to the 3.5L in-line 5. They took it for a week, gave it back after they mocked the parts up. Then took it back for a few weeks to do the tuning. Ultimately it took about a month for them to work out the tuning on it.

Scott64pw

Reaction score
In addition to my power wagon, I’ve got a Procharged 1st gen 5.7l charger. It was a great mod and One of the best mods I did to the car. A Procharger is a great kit in general. When I got mine, they didn’t have the helical gears, and mine is a little choppy sounding. Id recommend getting the helical gears option. A few people were supercharging the 6.4 chargers and indicating the pistons as being the weak link. You have to keep the boost lower and make sure you’ve got a good tune to ensure you’re running rich enough. The other key thing with any centrifugal supercharger is the boost increases with rpm, so your HP gains will be at the higher rpm’s. You may evaluate what you’re after. For example, If you’re after more low end torque, it wouldn’t be the best mod for the money.

I don’t know how the power train components can handle the extra torque on the power wagon, but you’re on the right track asking questions.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
I’ve had this idea of putting turbochargers on my PW. I saw an episode of All Girls Garage and they installed two on a 6.4 Challenger (which I had at the time) and it’s never left my mind. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread