Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push button start- no delay for preheat

Lamiglas

Reaction score
This is the first time I have used a push button start and I wanted to make sure I am not doing something wrong. Its 30 degrees outside. When I get in, do I need to push the button without my foot on the brake so it goes through the preheat process, or just hit the button? When I push the button with my foot on the brake, it just starts with no delay? Thanks in advance. Ill see if i can find it in the book tonight.

jeffn

Reaction score
the truck will tell you what to do. It goes through the preheat cycle and prompts you to put foot on the brake and press start button again. If you depress the brake through the entire cycle it will start with the second press of the button.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also bypass the preheat by pressing the button twice with your foot on the brake.

Lamiglas

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I only push the button once, with my foot on the brake. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't supposed to push the button without my foot on the brake first.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
When it's cold enough it'll decide to preheat....mine has a delay graph that pops up that shows the count down....

g00fy

Reaction score
It's weird I have a 2019 2500 that'll wait to start at pretty much any temperature under 50 degrees. Obviously the wait to start is longer the colder it is.

However my 2019 5500 never does wait to start sometimes if it sits for a whole weekend and it's really cold it'll flash the wait to start graph for a second or two, but that's it. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
2019 5500 and 2021 5500 that never do any sort of preheat. They both just fire up immediately when the start button is pressed whether it's 85 degrees F or 25 degrees F.
Our 2011 3500 and 2012 550 with key, has the standard glow plug light with key on engine off that illuminates for some period of time. We wait for that light to clear before starting on those.

Users who are viewing this thread