Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pros / Cons of Certain Features (Custom Order vs Dealer Inventory)

SwampCat

Reaction score
Long story short, all my local dealers have tons of inventory and aren’t very willing to take a custom order right now. My question is, what are the pros and cons of some of the features I wouldn’t get from a dealer inventory truck? I’m looking at a Gasoline Tradesman; all the dealer ones have 3:73 rear ends, no marker lights, and no off road package. Most have the non-slip rear though.

Would I miss the pulling umph of the 4:10’s? Save on gas? Can amber marker lights be added legitimately or is it something that really doesn’t matter? I know the off road package is just shocks and skid plates. Does the chrome bumpers (would rather have black but the chrome is much more common) fade / tarnish over time or is it fine?
Truck is gonna be a daily driver workhorse I plan on keeping for a very long time. Will drive off road including mud and ruts but no rock crawling, lots of highway miles, will tow medium sized trailers occasionally.

The dealer trucks are 80% what I want but darn are those some good prices…..

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Truck is gonna be a daily driver workhorse I plan on keeping for a very long time.

I'd extend your search based on this alone. Granted I know some like to do business locally, but there's a point where doing so isn't the best idea financially. What you're looking for I'd expect is somewhere within a day's drive as long as you aren't out in the middle of nowhere (minus the lack of the chrome package). I'd actually lean more towards the black bumpers possibly having issues before the chrome ones...

SwampCat

Reaction score
My local dealer that I actually really like doing business with has a truck with an awesome price but no marker lights or tow hooks. I can live without the lights but I need tow hooks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My local dealer that I actually really like doing business with has a truck with an awesome price but no marker lights or tow hooks. I can live without the lights but I need tow hooks.

Both of those can be added. I’ve done both on previous trucks and it’s not hard.

The Mopar clearance light kit comes with a template that makes it easy, just take your time.

mountainears

Reaction score
Hope they are giving you a sweet deal because there are other options including placing orders at big discounts under MSRP. It’s kind of crappy of them to not let you order what you want, seems like you like them more than they like you. Orders are easy money for them.

Tow hooks easy. I’m not a fan of drilling roofs, I’d skip adding cab lights personally.

jebruns

Reaction score
I'd extend your search based on this alone. Granted I know some like to do business locally, but there's a point where doing so isn't the best idea financially. What you're looking for I'd expect is somewhere within a day's drive as long as you aren't out in the middle of nowhere (minus the lack of the chrome package). I'd actually lean more towards the black bumpers possibly having issues before the chrome ones...
This. Ram has a huge glut of unsold inventory right now. Widen your search area some. Where are you located? There are still some dealers, like Granger and Mark Dodge, that will be happy to let you order a truck and still give you all the incentives that are available. It's always nice, IMO, to get exactly what you want.

I also agree that a chromed bumper will look better far longer than painted or plastic covered ones.

arx237

Reaction score
For me the cost of a $200 plane ticket to an airport within courtesy pickup range of Mark Dodge, food, gas, and hotel room was by far much cheaper than buying local. I got exactly the truck I wanted with no fuss.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
You need those marker lights. I think Rams without them just look strange. They are tricky to install but not impossible but then there's the wiring. Definitely get them factory-installed.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Black bumpers are powdercoated. No issues on mine after almost 3 years. Sits out in the sun all day. Hit a few things that dented the bumper and took off a little paint. But the rest is solid.
I'm all for supporting local. But I'm more fir getting exactly what I want when it's a major purchase. That's why I ordered my 75th AE Power Wagon.

Branog

Reaction score
I say get what you really want. I compromised on the Blue Streak 3500 because it had the Safety Group; however, every time I see a patriot blue, I get a little sad.

IMG_0919.jpg

JimKIII

Reaction score
For me the cost of a $200 plane ticket to an airport within courtesy pickup range of Mark Dodge, food, gas, and hotel room was by far much cheaper than buying local. I got exactly the truck I wanted with no fuss.
So true. With the discount Mark Dodge gave me I had enough money to: 1)buy a plane ticket from WA to LA, 2)spend 10 nites in a hotel for the 3,000 mile drive home (I took my sweet time), 3)pay my 10% license fee/taxes, and 4)pocket almost $2,000.

MD's courtesy range is, I think, 250 miles.

Shots

Reaction score
↓↓↓↓
Both of those can be added. I’ve done both on previous trucks and it’s not hard.

The Mopar clearance light kit comes with a template that makes it easy, just take your time.
Agreed. I've done both as well, it's not a big deal. If I could buy a truck without those and save a ton of money, I wouldn't think twice, and take the savings.

You need those marker lights. I think Rams without them just look strange. They are tricky to install but not impossible but then there's the wiring. Definitely get them factory-installed.
Once you get past the "eek" factor of drilling into the roof of a brand new truck, it's not that bad. Measure twice, or maybe 3 times, than make your holes. Put some silicone around the base of the lights when you mount them if you're really nervous about it, but they come with seals so that's not even necessary.
The first truck installed cab lights on was "professionally" done by a shop that was also putting in a sun roof for me. Terrible idea. The sun roof turned out great, but they put the lights on evenly spaced instead of the proper spacing. Like they've never seen cab lights before, and apparently didn't bother using the template. As it turns out, "professional" install isn't always the best. I do my own work, so I know it's done to a standard that I'm happy with.
Anyway, I've done all my own cab lights after that. My current truck had them on it saving me the hassle, but I won't shy away from buying one without them.

Tow hooks. Simple install, and only takes an hour or so with no special tools.

OP, to me it comes down to how much of a price difference there is. With an order you have to wait for it to be made, but you get the exact truck you want. With inventory you get the truck today, and save some money (no incentives on orders) but you may not get an item or two you wanted. Depending on the savings you may be able to add that item or two and still come out ahead on cost.

unclelala

Reaction score
Modding or customizing a truck for some is the smart thing to do but for some like myself is not possible. I don't have the skill or physical capability to do work on a vehicle. I have arthritis through out my body probably caused by working in cold damp basements for years as an HVAC guy. When I go camping the setup or tear down cause me a day of pain and discomfort so meds and rest usually follow.
Anyway thats enough drama, this is the reason Im glad I bought a Limited, I don't have to worry about add ons etc. , I may of paid through the ass but that was my choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread