Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probably a dumb (tire) question, but y'all should be used to that....

Cseybert

Reaction score
I guess everybody has forgotten how to read. I said fully loaded and at highway speeds not every day driving.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess everybody has forgotten how to read. I said fully loaded and at highway speeds not every day driving.

But did you... the word fully was not there, and even then a fully loaded 2500 doesn't need max pressure to run a the RAWR. You also said OR, not and.

It’s always good to run at max pressure if loaded or at highway speeds. Both increase heat and a low tire will fail.
:rolleyes:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Been running ~50psi F/R always in the stock PW towing or not…seems to be a decent medium since it never tows or hauls heavy, obviously.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When you learn to type clearly then we will be able to know what you ment…. You are still wrong the tire placecard is what should be followed loaded on these trucks. If you are over the Gvwr then more PSI is required

Cseybert

Reaction score
When you learn to type clearly then we will be able to know what you ment…. You are still wrong the tire placecard is what should be followed loaded on these trucks. If you are over the Gvwr then more PSI is required
What are you an English teacher? This is why I don’t like getting involved in the stupid stuff. Keep driving down the road with your tires under inflated.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What are you an English teacher? This is why I don’t like getting involved in the stupid stuff. Keep driving down the road with your tires under inflated.
Mine are perfectly inflated I'm not sure what you are smoking… all the data proves you wrong from tire placecard and every inflation chart.

jebruns

Reaction score
You must sell tires….

Only thing your doing at max pressure is wearing the centers out of the treads faster
I'm NOT advocating to over inflate. But I've run many a set of Michelin LTX's on my 3/4 tons over the years. Most of them inflated to the what the door sticker said, 80psi (ford, GMC, Chevy and Ram). Never had an issue with the center wearing out quickly. I did have that issue some new "Westlake" E rated tires that a dealer put on to sell the truck. So if you are running good tires, I don't believe this is an issue.

I've aired down now on my 22, since the door sticker is lower. Still getting used to that.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm NOT advocating to over inflate. But I've run many a set of Michelin LTX's on my 3/4 tons over the years. Most of the inflated to the what the door sticker said, 80psi (ford, GMC, Chevy and Ram). Never had an issue with the center wearing out quickly. I did have that issue some new "Westlake" E rated tires that a dealer put on to sell the truck. So if you are running good tires, I don't believe this is an issue.

I've aired down now on my 22, since the door sticker is lower. Still getting used to that.

I’ve never ran enough miles empty with loaded pressure to see the impact, but the dust/dirt wear pattern is pretty telling that the outer 1-1.5” of tire isn’t making contact with the ground (empty bed at 80 psi). That has to have a long term effect on tread wear. Rim width does come into play, as well as tire design. Stock size on the stock width rim will have a lower impact that a plus one or plus two size on the stock width rim.

I’ve seen plenty of trailer tires wear the centers out from running max pressure without a load. Not all trailers can always have their pressure adjusted for the load, like dump trailers. Max all the time, or you’d always be adjusting. Other trailers it’s as infrequent as a pickup. If you think pressure discussions on pickups get interesting you should start one on trailer tire pressure :D

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Now there's a new one on me, trailer tires wearing out. I've always seen them start throwing tread or just blow out before the tread was worn off (talking trailers behind pickups, not big semi truck trailers). I'm sure there are some haulers that wear out 16" and 17.5" trailer tires but most of us can just run the max on our trailer tires and forget about treadwear.

Some of you guys must completely flip out when you hear trucking industry experts recommend running 130psi in Class 8 steer tires that aren't even listed for that much pressure on the sidewall!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Now there's a new one on me, trailer tires wearing out. I've always seen them start throwing tread or just blow out before the tread was worn off (talking trailers behind pickups, not big semi truck trailers). I'm sure there are some haulers that wear out 16" and 17.5" trailer tires but most of us can just run the max on our trailer tires and forget about treadwear.

Most trailer tires fail from age, so that’s not surprising.

Doesn’t mean much thou for trailers that actually get a few miles on them and wear tires down.

Most people do run max on their trailer tires, as their either don’t know any better or are too lazy to find out the proper pressure.

For the braking improvement alone it’s worth the time to get the trailer tires at the proper pressure.

Some of you guys must completely flip out when you hear trucking industry experts recommend running 130psi in Class 8 steer tires that aren't even listed for that much pressure on the sidewall!

Lol, you do realize that at least Toyo and Michelin have literature and charts on overinflating their tires for above sidewall loads and pressures, right. There are speed restrictions that come with that thou. MD/HD tires are a different realm, and most of them have a minimum pressure than often leaves them overinflated but the pressure is needed to keep the bead seated.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I was running 37 cold in the rear tires on my PW empty. BFG 35's on stock rims. Last tire rotation at 5K miles, I could see that the center was wearing more than the outer edge. So I dropped pressure down to 30 after the rotation. Fronts were running at 45 and didn't look too bad, but I went ahead and dropped them down to 40.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Most people do run max on their trailer tires, as their either don’t know any better or are too lazy to find out the proper pressure.

For the braking improvement alone it’s worth the time to get the trailer tires at the proper pressure.
Until recently (like the last 5 years) all of the trailer tire manufacturers said that you absolutely *had to* run their trailer tires at max PSI. It’s only been a short while that they’re advocating proper pressure by weight and producing pressure charts. Unfortunately no one has told this to anyone else in the utility trailer or RV industries, so the old bad info persists.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Until recently (like the last 5 years) all of the trailer tire manufacturers said that you absolutely *had to* run their trailer tires at max PSI. It’s only been a short while that they’re advocating proper pressure by weight and producing pressure charts. Unfortunately no one has told this to anyone else in the utility trailer or RV industries, so the old bad info persists.

Yes, it occurred around the time that ST tires started getting speed ratings above 65 mph.

I will say that I have ran older ST tires based on the inflation charts, which did exist before it was more common to adjust pressure below max, and never had an issue.

I have quit buying ST tires thou and swap all the trailers out to LT’s. We do a lot of USFS road driving and ST’s just don’t have the puncture resistance that LT’s do. Plus LT’s last longer, wear better, brake better, and cost less per mile.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Yes, it occurred around the time that ST tires started getting speed ratings above 65 mph.

I will say that I have ran older ST tires based on the inflation charts, which did exist before it was more common to adjust pressure below max, and never had an issue.

I have quit buying ST tires thou and swap all the trailers out to LT’s. We do a lot of USFS road driving and ST’s just don’t have the puncture resistance that LT’s do. Plus LT’s last longer, wear better, brake better, and cost less per mile.
Most ST tires are crap, but I’ve been impressed with the new Goodyear Endurance tires. They’re rated to 87 MPH, which is a huge improvement over the old ones, and I’ve yet to have one go bad on me. They’re definitely no LT tire, but they’re definitely a step up for 90% of uses.

Nick

Reaction score
Tire pressure.
Stock 2500 Tradesman
6.4L
8' box
4x4

OEM Firestones.
door pressure states max 60 front and 65 rear.
Seems the dealer and others, want to say bump it up to in the mid to high 70s while towing.
I am having a hard time coming to grips with that. Pretty sure if that were true, Ram would have made that on the door sticker too, or even in the manual.
Pretty sure Firestone would make that well known.
Having owned and driven 18 wheelers enough, I have NEVER seen that ideology.
We would run a few pounds less on steering but never changed do to the load.

So the dumb question is, am I am idio

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Most ST tires are crap, but I’ve been impressed with the new Goodyear Endurance tires. They’re rated to 87 MPH, which is a huge improvement over the old ones, and I’ve yet to have one go bad on me. They’re definitely no LT tire, but they’re definitely a step up for 90% of uses.

I’ve heard lots of good things about them.

jebruns

Reaction score
I’ve never ran enough miles empty with loaded pressure to see the impact, but the dust/dirt wear pattern is pretty telling that the outer 1-1.5” of tire isn’t making contact with the ground (empty bed at 80 psi). That has to have a long term effect on tread wear. Rim width does come into play, as well as tire design. Stock size on the stock width rim will have a lower impact that a plus one or plus two size on the stock width rim.
Not an issue with the Mich LTX's that I've run. I've always run stock wheels and tire sizes.

I’ve seen plenty of trailer tires wear the centers out from running max pressure without a load. Not all trailers can always have their pressure adjusted for the load, like dump trailers. Max all the time, or you’d always be adjusting. Other trailers it’s as infrequent as a pickup. If you think pressure discussions on pickups get interesting you should start one on trailer tire pressure :D
There again, it depends on the tire for me. I've had good luck with some brands of trailer tires and bad luck with other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread