Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

DrTron

Reaction score
All those online places lowballed me real bad. MD offered me 27500 for my Jeep and I sold it locally to a Lincoln dealer for 29.
After a bit of haggling MD gave me pretty much the median of the KBB trade-in range. And as I would have had to find transportation down there to pick up the new truck, that was an easy decision.
The tax disadvantage would have been roughly $2k anyway, and I doubt that someone locally would have given me that much for it.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
Koon's in Virginia (came out about 500 lower than MD, but wife had never been to New Orleans so we made it a trip)

Mall of Georgia CJDR 1% under invoice

Lakeland CJDR I've heard can sometimes do good discounts, but you will have to call them. They don't like to answer email inquiries.
I just looked back, and MD was about $700 cheaper than Koons when I had them price my build. However, the dealer charges at least doubled that amount. Koons was WAY high on their BS doc fees.

Reactions: @JC

NJMyth

Reaction score
Picking up a CC BH Cummins tomorrow that the dealer had on the lot for 7% off MSRP. I was about ready to pull the trigger on an order, but was willing to pay a little more to not wait for months.

avanders

Reaction score
I was quoted around 4.2% under invoice for a Power Wagon by MD and Granger. My local dealer was able to do 1% below invoice. That was within the cost of shipping the truck to Oregon. Went with the local dealer.
I'm in Oregon as well. Most all dealers I have spoken with including Dave Smith in Kellogg are still at MSRP. Can I ask who you are going through? I'm also trying to order a 3500 laramie mega with the 6.4, but the dealers are unable to order that one yet. Thanks

Ironsides77

Reaction score
I'm in Oregon as well. Most all dealers I have spoken with including Dave Smith in Kellogg are still at MSRP. Can I ask who you are going through? I'm also trying to order a 3500 laramie mega with the 6.4, but the dealers are unable to order that one yet. Thanks
Im near you and im going with Mark Dodge. I want a seamless transaction and they are who to go with if you want zero issues or BS.

By the time you pick up your vehicle all is said and done, they just hand you the keys.

The 2500 mile road trip will be the perfect break in for the 3500 :)

Wanderlust

Reaction score

I got my quote from Ron Tonkin CJDRF. They were within the price of shipping for MD and Granger. I also preferred having a chance to take delivery myself in case there were any issues with the truck.

avanders

Reaction score
Im near you and im going with Mark Dodge. I want a seamless transaction and they are who to go with if you want zero issues or BS.

By the time you pick up your vehicle all is said and done, they just hand you the keys.

The 2500 mile road trip will be the perfect break in for the 3500 :)
I appreciate the info. Where did the price land Invoice/under? I am sure this is a dumb question for this site, but where is Mark Dodge located? I see one in Louisiana and one in Texas. Thanks

avanders

Reaction score
I got my quote from Ron Tonkin CJDRF. They were within the price of shipping for MD and Granger. I also preferred having a chance to take delivery myself in case there were any issues with the truck.
That is funny, I just spoke to Ron Tonkin in PDX, and they said they were only doing MSRP, I told them I could get a better deal at another location (to see if they would budge) they didn't budge and let me go, haven't called back either.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I appreciate the info. Where did the price land Invoice/under? I am sure this is a dumb question for this site, but where is Mark Dodge located? I see one in Louisiana and one in Texas. Thanks
They are in lake Charles Louisiana. About 2 hours from Houston. I flew into Houston and the picked me up at the airport and took me to the dealer where my truck was waiting and ready to go. All paperwork was done. I just had an odometer paper to sign and the sales guy and I spent about 30 minutes going over the truck. Best car buying experience ever. They will deliver the truck within 200 miles for free, so they would have met me at the Houston airport with the truck if I would have wanted to go that route. They also have decent shipping rates, Would have cost me about 1200 bucks to have it delivered 1000 miles to my home. For me it was about half that cost to fly down and drive it home and I got to go over the truck before completing the deal.

avanders

Reaction score
They are in lake Charles Louisiana. About 2 hours from Houston. I flew into Houston and the picked me up at the airport and took me to the dealer where my truck was waiting and ready to go. All paperwork was done. I just had an odometer paper to sign and the sales guy and I spent about 30 minutes going over the truck. Best car buying experience ever. They will deliver the truck within 200 miles for free, so they would have met me at the Houston airport with the truck if I would have wanted to go that route. They also have decent shipping rates, Would have cost me about 1200 bucks to have it delivered 1000 miles to my home. For me it was about half that cost to fly down and drive it home and I got to go over the truck before completing the deal.
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
That is funny, I just spoke to Ron Tonkin in PDX, and they said they were only doing MSRP, I told them I could get a better deal at another location (to see if they would budge) they didn't budge and let me go, haven't called back either.

I sent them the best quote I found, mentioned I did not expect they could match a quote from a high volume dealer, but I preferred to work with a local dealer and would like to know what they could do.

avanders

Reaction score
I just called them back and talked to the internet sales manager. She advised that they were not going to come off of the MSRP. I told them I would just fly to Louisiana and save the cost. She said that they will get the MSRP from someone, and she was not going to come down from MSRP. Man, I hate dealing with dealerships, they are such a pain. You must be one heck of a negotiator. Thanks for info.

Drew M

Reaction score
I just called them back and talked to the internet sales manager. She advised that they were not going to come off of the MSRP. I told them I would just fly to Louisiana and save the cost. She said that they will get the MSRP from someone, and she was not going to come down from MSRP. Man, I hate dealing with dealerships, they are such a pain. You must be one heck of a negotiator. Thanks for info.
I ordered from Granger yesterday. I tried my local guy, and the best he would do was $500 off MSRP. Granger is about 3 hours away, we have friends and family in IA, so a short fun road trip when we go to pickup. My local guy did ask if I would still use them for service, and I said I would. We'll see...
I think some/most dealers are feeling the pinch and still in the old mold of salesmanship. I believe that in less than 5 years, most auto sales will be via internet, and "special" or unique order/sales. Sure there will be vehicles on lots, but most will be the white Tradesman type. Auto sales reps as we know them today will be gone, just my opinions...

Ironsides77

Reaction score
Interesting, they said they would drive the truck to me and pick me up at the airport in Houston.

I would prefer to be the first one to drive my truck!

Ironsides77

Reaction score
That another reason why I went with MD. Dealers think they have the upper hand vs the consumer but they dont.

Im the guy that will go where I am valued vs the dealers around me that think I have to earn their business.

Customer is always first but it isnt that way in the PNW.

I sent you a PM, sir.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Interesting, they said they would drive the truck to me and pick me up at the airport in Houston.

I would prefer to be the first one to drive my truck!
Same. It cost me about 4 extra hours by riding to the dealership and leaving from there but I wanted to be the first to drive it. Also allowed me to inspect the truck while it was still in their possession.

avanders

Reaction score
I ordered from Granger yesterday. I tried my local guy, and the best he would do was $500 off MSRP. Granger is about 3 hours away, we have friends and family in IA, so a short fun road trip when we go to pickup. My local guy did ask if I would still use them for service, and I said I would. We'll see...
I think some/most dealers are feeling the pinch and still in the old mold of salesmanship. I believe that in less than 5 years, most auto sales will be via internet, and "special" or unique order/sales. Sure there will be vehicles on lots, but most will be the white Tradesman type. Auto sales reps as we know them today will be gone, just my opinions...
Thank you for the info.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
i wouldnt be apposed to this! over the last 14 yrs of owning diesel trucks, total of 6 ordered trucks i have found sales people becoming less and less trustworthy and vehicle purchasing becoming more of a serious math game on our parts to ensure were not being screwed. I used to generally put down large sums of money at pickup day to lessen monthly payments however i swiftly learned that sometimes that all dosent go towards the truck! caught the dealer at the time trying to pocket 1000$ of that downpayment..... there excuse was "additional administrative fees for re-writing paperwork" after ordering a 95,000$ truck from them. After that i wait till financing is in place and i pay the bank directly and have my monthly payments changed. I think after this many trucks ive litereally heard every excuse and tactic from dealers to attempt to extract another 14 cents out of you. Another good one! oh we pulled your car fax and we see that you hit a deer and needed the bumper replaced a year ago? yaaa since that was a 3000$ repair its our policy we have to remove 1000$ from your trade in. SO youve already ordered a truck, waited 3-4 months for it, already have that new car smell in your nose OF COURSE your not going to say no even if it aggrivates the snot out of you.

If i could buy a vehicle directly from Ram i would in a heart beat, being in business, if i tried to pull half the crap some of these dealers do, id be out of business so fast itd make my head spin. Of course this isnt all dealers, we generally use our family friend who owns a large dealership who sticks by his numbers no matter what, no frills, hidden crap. I thought this time id try someone else who was showing big time interest in my business, its been ok, but also not trouble free.

Oddly enough when i ordered my truck i tried to negociate bit off MSRP, and was basically told nope MSRP is best we can do. Then half way through values started to change with trade ins, and my paperwork wasnt so "concrete" anymore. I told them straight up those werent the numbers i agreed to when i ordered, and i wasnt warned anything could change., and that id walk, so all of the sudden they start hammering the new truck with discounts to keep my payments the same.

Users who are viewing this thread