Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preventing rusted out bedsides

flan

Reaction score
So I look inside the wheel wells and notice holes, assumingely vent holes or rinse out holes take your pick. Reach around in them and there is foam between the 2 panels. I feel leaving these holes open will allow road debris, salt, sand, water, etc. to collect in there and in the usual time frame rot out the bedsides like previous generations.
So the question is, leave them open as to be able to rinse them out. Spray fluid film or whatever in there regularly to keep moisture at bay. Or spray with fluid film, cavity wax etc then tape over them, and do that as a yearly maintenance item. Taping over them would not let them dry out as much. But at the same time blocking the water from getting in there in the first place.
What’s the thoughts you guys have in this subject?5B0EF9A8-4AF6-4BDA-9479-683D2AB32682.jpeg735671AE-BF83-482D-93DA-6D5D44DB20CA.jpegAD933785-636A-47F5-9628-F1DD183DE038.jpeg

Reaction score
From what I've seen / heard the 3rd gen trucks had a double seam inside the rear fenders that would trap salt and cause the rust issues, almost every 3rd gen here in Alberta has a box with rusted out rear fenders. There are a couple body shops that will cut out that seam and weld in a new piece of sheet metal to fix the issue.
I'm pretty sure they fixed the problem as I've yet to see any 4th gens with the same problem, but I also haven't noticed (or really looked) inside the fender to see if they have holes like that, hopefully that's not new.

AndyS

Reaction score
My 2011 1500 Big Horn had started to rust passenger wheel well at the top. Hoping my 2019 does not.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
i just checked under mine, and it looks like there are still holes on the inside panel.

blu3s94

Reaction score
Is that in the front or rear?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
FWIW, i used woolwax (fluid film) on my truck. I have ramboxes so I pulled out the box assemblies (~10 bolts and 1 connector, maybe 10 min job) and sprayed everything. Still a couple areas I couldn’t get to but I’m giving it my best shot.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Don't forget was just made aware of this myself but being the rocker panel they used tape to cover the oval holes but not a bad idea to spray ff or nh oil in these too yearly

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Been using this stuff for yrs. Everywhere there's a metal seam that'll collect moisture including door panels, rocker panels, fenders etc etc. One of those rare products that does exactly what it claims to do.

rust-cure-formula-3000.jpg

Cummins3

Reaction score
New Hampshire oil undercoating is another good product some garages in the east coast offer this service

Dan5809

Reaction score
So I look inside the wheel wells and notice holes, assumingely vent holes or rinse out holes take your pick. Reach around in them and there is foam between the 2 panels. I feel leaving these holes open will allow road debris, salt, sand, water, etc. to collect in there and in the usual time frame rot out the bedsides like previous generations.
So the question is, leave them open as to be able to rinse them out. Spray fluid film or whatever in there regularly to keep moisture at bay. Or spray with fluid film, cavity wax etc then tape over them, and do that as a yearly maintenance item. Taping over them would not let them dry out as much. But at the same time blocking the water from getting in there in the first place.
What’s the thoughts you guys have in this subject?View attachment 1228View attachment 1229View attachment 1230

Dan5809

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with 75000 miles. The bed began rusting at the wheel wells, and rusted through. I took it to a body shop where they ran a camera through the tail light into the inner fender. The problem was there was a styrofoam sound deadener inside. This held moisture, causing the rust. They removed the bed, took off the outside panels. and inner fenders. All were replaced, minus the styrofoam. It was expensive but the shop guarantees their work.

Users who are viewing this thread