Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-heat issues?

Dieseldan723

Reaction score
New to the Cummins after having 4 Duramax trucks. I really like this new truck! On my Duramax the glow plugs would pre-heat when it was cold. If the outside temp was warm it would NEVER pre-heat. For the first year of my RAM I don't remember it pre-heating very often.

I had to let the truck sit over this past winter and I only drove it about every 6 weeks. Of course over the winter the temps were colder and it made sense to me that there was some pre-heat time before starting, and it started every time after 5-10 seconds of pre-heating.

I just picked up my truck from Oregon and drove it to Tennessee this week. Every day it would take 5-10 seconds to pre-heat, even with outside temps in the 70's and 80's! I think I read that the Cummins does not have glow plugs so I don't understand what it's doing. It never did this my first summer in Oregon and temps were in the 50's and 60's. Did my batteries take a beating over this past winter when I let it sit for about 6 months only driving it occasionally (about every 5-6 weeks)?

Any insights or education on this subject is much appreciated!

TIA.

DammitDave

Reaction score
Your truck has a intake heater, that warms the air right before it goes into the engine.

Will_T

Reaction score
I don't understand what it's doing. It never did this my first summer in Oregon and temps were in the 50's and 60's. D

Good luck with understanding. I had my grid heater relay disconnected for a couple of months this winter waiting for the recall check to be done. But before that and since reconnecting, mine preheats without any obvious pattern. I have come out to start the truck in the morning when it is 65 degrees and it will preheat for 15 or 20 seconds before starting. But sometimes first thing in the morning when it is 35 or 40 degrees, it starts immediately without a preheat countdown.

Dieseldan723

Reaction score
Good luck with understanding. I had my grid heater relay disconnected for a couple of months this winter waiting for the recall check to be done. But before that and since reconnecting, mine preheats without any obvious pattern. I have come out to start the truck in the morning when it is 65 degrees and it will preheat for 15 or 20 seconds before starting. But sometimes first thing in the morning when it is 35 or 40 degrees, it starts immediately without a preheat countdown.
OK, so I am not going crazy. I wondered if it has something to do with weak batteries and that was why it was taking so long.

Thank you!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Mine is all over the place. If it got cold overnight it will want to preheat even if it is 70 degrees when I go to start it. I always bypass the preheat.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If its damp i find mine will try to preheat not just when its cold, just press the start button a second time it will skip the preheat

Users who are viewing this thread