Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerwagon as a daily driver?

firefly450

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thinking on trading my 16 4runner trail edition and my 2001 Ram 1500 off road package in on a 19 Powerwagon.
It would probably be a near daily driver, depending on where I could park the beast at work. I also have my 16 Charger Hellcat
to drive, when I know the size would be an issue.
Any ideas or comments about using the PW as a daily driver?
I would opt for the sourround camera, definitely, to help.
Other than MPGs and size, any other complaints from those that often drive the truck daily?
Thank you, Mark

tpk0999

Reaction score
My 2500 HD is a daily driver. It's fine for me as one. What's good for me may not be good for you. It's a big truck in a little car world. Takes much wider turns.

bobohio

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thinking on trading my 16 4runner trail edition and my 2001 Ram 1500 off road package in on a 19 Powerwagon.
It would probably be a near daily driver, depending on where I could park the beast at work. I also have my 16 Charger Hellcat
Other than MPGs and size, any other complaints from those that often drive the truck daily?
Thank you, Mark
I drove my 2500 as a daily and now I drive my 3500 as a daily....no issues, but I was an OTR trucker for about 15 years.

Reaction score
Motor Trend has a long term review on a 2018. The 2019's are supposed to get rather significantly better MPG due to the 8 speed and shedding a few pounds. It mostly talks about daily driving in cities (LA maybe?)

That's the last update, but if you scroll to the bottom it links to the first (in true lazy blogger fashion, the first one doesn't include links to all the rest).

Avid6eek

Reaction score
I had a '16 2500 Limited that I drove as a daily driver for over a year. This included parking in inner city parking garages. It was never a problem.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Motortrend just had a long term PW. If they could get by in LA then you're probably good.

Manapua

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thank you, Mark
My PW is my daily and I have no issues.
So much depends on where you live, go, and park. I would never buy a PW if I was living in Los Angeles. Here however, it’s great.

Jim Severence

Reaction score
My 2011 Ram 4X4 Laramie was my winter daily drive here in upstate NY, could not beat it for that snow weather. Got 12-14 mpg, pre MDS on 5.7 l HEMI. The 6.4 L HEMI seems to get about 2 mpg better on my 2019 limited.

TonyT

Reaction score
I used to daily a 2014 1500 Regular Cab Tradesman. Doubled as my personal, and work truck, while I did pool maintenance typically driving 100 miles a day. Blew my mind how easy that truck was to daily. Now that my career has taken me out of the country most of the year, I have since bought a 2019 quad-cab short-bed 2500 Cummins. I couldn't imagine driving it as a daily. It's doable, but it's just too much. Sure, the 360 camera helps, but it's a lot of truck to be driving around without the need for hauling, touch roads, or climate weather. I imagine a Powerwagon would be the same. With that said, I have a bunch of friends with 3/4 ton trucks as daily drivers and weekend warriors. They're just that way and won't ever change, unless down the road their physical health required them to. :D

huff2462

Reaction score
My 2500 is a daily driver, and I'm a Commercial Banker whose office forces me to park in a parking garage when I'm not out meeting with clients... And I make it work (without the surround cameras).

I say go for it!

It replaced a '13 1500 that I drove for 6yrs.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
My current daily driver is my 1996 F350 crew cab long box. It sucks in tight areas because it needs a football field to turn around in, but I have learned to back into parking spots, and I can get into some pretty tight areas. I am looking forward to my CCSB Ram to be able to manuever in tighter places.

Stavo

Reaction score
Get steps! It's a long way up.

Aside from the size and MPG, with the L2 package, it's a pleasure to drive. It's an HD truck so there are better rides out there but by far the quietest and most comfortable truck I've spent time in. Driving Chicago to Denver in September so I'll have road trip review after that.

Jj517

Reaction score
i had 3 f250 over 10 years all diesel. my last f250 had a 4 inch lift and 37 inch tires drove it every day loved it, only thing you have to look out for is the stupid idiots on the road that think that you can stop on a dime. park at the end of parking los walking is good for ya. after my last f250 cramped out on me i bought a ram 1500 limited all bells and whistles loved it park anywhere it was agile fast and had balls for days until you go buy dry wall or any type of construction materials freaking bed is big enough to fit ****. upgraded to a 2500 pw and now i am loving life. as a daily driver it is the shishnits you are going to love it. I am all over the place LA, OC, RIV, SD, IC, AND AZ.

Distillusion

Reaction score
I always park mine way out in parking lots, for the exercise as well. All 3 dings - 1 door ding and 2 corner dings in the back of the cab - in my last truck were gotten while I was parked way out away from everyone, not even a shopping cart nearby. I guess maybe parking way out, people get curious and drive up close and check it out to see if there's something they can steal easily.

Users who are viewing this thread