Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerstep install

Sixtime43

Reaction score
Just had them installed. Anyone know if I can turn an AUX switch into an over ride switch, or better yet is there a way to add that functionality into Uconnect 5 system with Alphaobd? I searched around, but only found info about the Mopar version. Any love for us AMP Research step children out there?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Should be able to use a aux/upfitter switch to do the override. Not sure about using the Uconnect.

In all the years I've had AMP steps on 3 different trucks now, I've never had an issue with them or needed an override switch. One set is about 5 plus years old now.

Sixtime43

Reaction score
Should be able to use a aux/upfitter switch to do the override. Not sure about using the Uconnect.

In all the years I've had AMP steps on 3 different trucks now, I've never had an issue with them or needed an override switch. One set is about 5 plus years old now.
Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. Would be nice to deploy to clean them while doing the rest of the truck, but it's hardly a "con". Figured I have all these AUX switches... why not?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
All I do on mine is open the door. The place my foot on the step with some weight and close the door. The motor will then disengage and I can clean the steps. When done, open the door, wait a few seconds for the motor to reengage, then shut the door.
This is all in the owners manual and does no harm. Been doing it for years.

tla90

Reaction score
Just had them installed. Anyone know if I can turn an AUX switch into an over ride switch, or better yet is there a way to add that functionality into Uconnect 5 system with Alphaobd? I searched around, but only found info about the Mopar version. Any love for us AMP Research step children out there?
The Amp switch is a SPDT switch. I'm assuming the AUX switches are just SPST. I did notice when installing that if you accidentally grounded out both LED light wires, the steps would go down

Sixtime43

Reaction score
The Amp switch is a SPDT switch. I'm assuming the AUX switches are just SPST. I did notice when installing that if you accidentally grounded out both LED light wires, the steps would go down
Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get it to work, but I have to solve the passenger side rail getting hung up on the pinch weld issue first. It worked great for a couple days, just started hanging up today. Looking through the manual now.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Loosen up the bolts. Jump up and down on the step a few times. Tighten back up
That's basically what it says and what I did.

Sixtime43

Reaction score
Loosen up the bolts. Jump up and down on the step a few times. Tighten back up
That's basically what it says and what I did.
Yep, thanks Crusty. I was able to get it sorted just by bouncing up and down near the front where it was getting hung up. Didn't have to loosen any bolts, so I lucked out there.
I'll try and tackle the AUX switch wiring tomorrow. Happy Easter everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread