Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powered side steps

Benjamin.Good

Reaction score
So I read through the last forum post about options for powered running boards and had a couple additional questions.

My 22 PW Level 3 has shipped and should be here in 2-3 weeks. It sounds like there was some debate about the Amp Research XL and if they would fit, but I didn't see a definite yes or no in the other thread.

Does anyone have Amp Research XL on their PW? How was the install? I need to order some soon if I'm going to get them installed at the dealership when my truck arrives.

Thanks in advance!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Do you mean while keeping the rock sliders or replacing them with the steps?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Then i dont understand why the wouldnt fit because the cabs are the same

Benjamin.Good

Reaction score
Then i dont understand why the wouldnt fit because the cabs are the same
I guess the other thread made it sound like there were some issues. I'm just wondering if anyone else has put them on without issues.

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Ditto. Had a local shop install them after seeing how much of a pain it was. Love them and have had zero issues with them even in extended periods of snow/ice temps in the teens this winter.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
So I read through the last forum post about options for powered running boards and had a couple additional questions.

My 22 PW Level 3 has shipped and should be here in 2-3 weeks. It sounds like there was some debate about the Amp Research XL and if they would fit, but I didn't see a definite yes or no in the other thread.

Does anyone have Amp Research XL on their PW? How was the install? I need to order some soon if I'm going to get them installed at the dealership when my truck arrives.

Thanks in advance!
Late last year I directly contacted Amp Research about installing the XL Powerstep/Slider for the PW and they said that the product will not fit the PW because of a mount interference associated with the cab and BGE. I posted about it in the another thread.

But if others got it mounted on their rig, more power to you.

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Late last year I directly contacted Amp Research about installing the XL Powerstep/Slider for the PW and they said that the product will not fit the PW because of a mount interference associated with the cab and BGE. I posted about it in the another thread.

Yeah, my bad. I have the regular powersteps, not the XL.

Benjamin.Good

Reaction score

I didn't call Amp, but the people from Realtruck.com said that they fit the 2022s. I ordered a set. I guess I'll find out, one way or another.

Thanks for the info!

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
I didn't call Amp, but the people from Realtruck.com said that they fit the 2022s. I ordered a set. I guess I'll find out, one way or another.

Thanks for the info!
hopefully they fixed it, but I originally ordered the XLs because the amp website said they fit. they didnt. Refund was easy though.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Amp's website doesn't list the Power Wagon trim for the XL.

Again, here is the quote from the email response:

"Thank you for reaching out to AMP Research Technical Support team.

Please know that the only available power step system that was created for your 2022 Ram 2500 Power Wagon will be our standard step system 76243-01A. All other kits were not cleared for installation by our engineering staff due to the fact that the gas engine Ram 2500/3500 have factory vibration dampeners on the front of the cab that conflict with our step system being installed."

Benjamin.Good

Reaction score
Amp's website doesn't list the Power Wagon trim for the XL.

Again, here is the quote from the email response:

"Thank you for reaching out to AMP Research Technical Support team.

Please know that the only available power step system that was created for your 2022 Ram 2500 Power Wagon will be our standard step system 76243-01A. All other kits were not cleared for installation by our engineering staff due to the fact that the gas engine Ram 2500/3500 have factory vibration dampeners on the front of the cab that conflict with our step system being installed."
Thanks for this. Realtruck.com actually cancelled my order for me due to no product being available. I called my local 4x4 shop and they have ordered the correct steps. I will also have them install them for me once I get my truck.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
As you can tell; everytime this gets brought up , there is confusion between the models.

The best I've been able to tell is that the PowerStepXL's will not fit as designed by AMP. I didn't find one thread where they talked about rotating a component on the step and were able to get it to fit - but that person never followed up with pictures or explanation - so I'm not inclined to assume it can be done.

I've reached out to Rock Slide Engineering and they don't have any plans to develop a system for the Power Wagons. They will sell you the step and let you custom fab it yourself if you are inclined.

I've read that the Aries /might/ be rebranded RSE steps/slider https://www.ariesautomotive.com/part/3047912 which they claim will work on PowerWagon. My hesitation here has been how close to the cab the rail is , some pics make it look like it's tucked up tight; others look like it's hanging out quite a bit.

I think the only solution for some type of rail/slide protection is Randy Ellis Design slider with a regular amp power step. I've read that the two can work together.

(Note: Take this all as a grain of salt; this is all based on what i've been able to cobble together on the interwebs reading off and on the last two months)

Benjamin.Good

Reaction score
As you can tell; everytime this gets brought up , there is confusion between the models.

The best I've been able to tell is that the PowerStepXL's will not fit as designed by AMP. I didn't find one thread where they talked about rotating a component on the step and were able to get it to fit - but that person never followed up with pictures or explanation - so I'm not inclined to assume it can be done.

I've reached out to Rock Slide Engineering and they don't have any plans to develop a system for the Power Wagons. They will sell you the step and let you custom fab it yourself if you are inclined.

I've read that the Aries /might/ be rebranded RSE steps/slider https://www.ariesautomotive.com/part/3047912 which they claim will work on PowerWagon. My hesitation here has been how close to the cab the rail is , some pics make it look like it's tucked up tight; others look like it's hanging out quite a bit.

I think the only solution for some type of rail/slide protection is Randy Ellis Design slider with a regular amp power step. I've read that the two can work together.

(Note: Take this all as a grain of salt; this is all based on what i've been able to cobble together on the interwebs reading off and on the last two months)
I appreciate the feedback. From what I have gathered, only the original power steps work without modification. Everything is back ordered right now unfortunately.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
You will be happy with the original AMP running boards.

It was good that they were easily unplugged for off-road and pretty nice in town.
The vibration dampeners had been relocated during the install on mine, apparently...they were rearward and only fastened on the forward end by the two bolts that are supposed to be in the back. Had to source four bolts to get them properly back where they belong.

Users who are viewing this thread