Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

power wagon trailer towing

Bryan68

Reaction score
Was looking for some expertise of towing capacity. I received my power wagon this weekend and I know it has a GVWR of 10.590 and pay load of 1630. My question is can I tow a trailer that has a dry weight of 8428 and a GVWR of 10.500? This is a standard hitch type trailer not a 5th wheel, would I be legal towing this? Thanks for the help.

DammitDave

Reaction score
I would bet it is legal in your state but you should check because some states have different laws, but as far as your truck being capable, yes and even better if your trailer has electric brakes.

Bryan68

Reaction score
I would bet it is legal in your state but you should check because some states have different laws, but as far as your truck being capable, yes and even better if your trailer has electric brakes.
Yes the trailer has electric rear drum brakes, thanks for the input.

MtnRider

Reaction score
You are right at the top end of your weight but probably close enough to be "legal" I would think. Probably won't be the best towing experience but I'm sure you know the PW isn't really setup to be a tow vehicle.

el_barto

Reaction score
Was looking for some expertise of towing capacity. I received my power wagon this weekend and I know it has a GVWR of 10.590 and pay load of 1630. My question is can I tow a trailer that has a dry weight of 8428 and a GVWR of 10.500? This is a standard hitch type trailer not a 5th wheel, would I be legal towing this? Thanks for the help.
Double check your GVWR…it ain’t 10,590lbs.

The tongue weight of the trailer relative to the truck’s available payload. When your truck rolls over a scale with the trailer attached (but trailer wheels not on the scale), the max weight cannot exceed the trucks GVWR. For estimating purposes, typically 10% of trailer weight is tongue weight.

You also need to be aware of the trucks GCVWR (combined weight limit of truck and trailer)

Bryan68

Reaction score
You are right at the top end of your weight but probably close enough to be "legal" I would think. Probably won't be the best towing experience but I'm sure you know the PW isn't really setup to be a tow vehicle.

Thank you and yes I knew that going in, my buddy is selling a 32 ft. trailer and those are the spec's. If it is too dangerous I would just go with a different/lighter trailer. He was going to sell it at a reduced price to me which made it a no brainer.

Bryan68

Reaction score

The tongue weight of the trailer relative to the truck’s available payload. When your truck rolls over a scale with the trailer attached (but trailer wheels not on the scale), the max weight cannot exceed the trucks GVWR. For estimating purposes, typically 10% of trailer weight is tongue weight.

You also need to be aware of the trucks GCVWR (combined weight limit of truck and trailer)
I thought there was more involved, I saw some calculators on line and it seemed as there were more things top consider. I was taking that weight off the spec of the truck.

MtnRider

Reaction score

Good catch, I just looked at a 21 PW on the chart and they are say GVWR is 8565.

jadmt

Reaction score
if you sign up on the mopardashboard you can put your vin in and they tell you what your actual max tow capacity is. my particular truck 2020 level equipped pw is 10,999lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread