Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Wagon or Ram 1500 Limited?

Quick

Reaction score
very well could be; I had the Maxxis Razr MT on my Avalanche and had zero issues with those. I've be wondering if these were the cause of my current issues.

I was fighting with tire balance for a long time as well. Ended up switching to Toyo Open Country AT3s, and they balanced perfectly and got rid of all of the strange vibrations, etc.

Not an MT tire, but I know of lots of folks that love Toyo because they typically balance up well - even with the MT.

DrTron

Reaction score
Not an MT tire, but I know of lots of folks that love Toyo because they typically balance up well - even with the MT.
I heard the same about the Nittos, which is one reason I'll go with a set of their 35's on my PW. But not MT's, I'll go as highway-compatible as I can get.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
If you put tires on the rim and they will not balance, it's usually a bad tire. Been there done that more than twice.
And of course the installer won't beleive it and will keep trying to balance it and you wind up with a ton of weights all over the rim.
Easiest way to prove it is take the tire off the rim and check the rim for balance. 99% of the time, the rim will be balanced with no weights on it. So it's the tire that will not balance due to a bad manufacturing. I've had it on BFG street tires, BFG AT's, Toyos, Super swampers and others.

Also be aware that the bigger the tire, the harder it is to balance when the tire is built correctly. That's why I use balance beads in mine.

UglyViking

Reaction score
MT tires, especially at that size, are tricky to balance. Even hybrids and some AT tires struggle. It's just a lot of mass and manufacturing is imperfect. I'd be curious to know if your Avalanche had 37/18s as well.

I don't know what your goal is but know that the +1" rear Thuren coils are soft. It's their biggest pro and con. It will 100% ride as good as most 1500s, but they sag with weight. Not a ton, but it adds up. If you're gonna be carrying a cap or loaded often I'd either do a level with better shocks and track bar in the rear, or do the Carli R2 rear coils.

The Fords are nice trucks, don't get me wrong, but you're always bouncing back and forth with issues. I hear that the deathwobble on the super duty trucks are hell.

@JC

Reaction score
I had balancing beads in my 35x12.5r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my PW. Worked perfectly.

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Thanks for insights. I'm using the Centramatic which i heard were great but still getting, what I perceive , as unbalanced tire shimmy at highway speeds.

The Avalanche had ~33", so a lot less mass for sure. I knew some tires just are poorly made and can't be balanced - didn't even think of that being an issue here.

Reaction score
I ended up doing the opposite. I had a 2019 Limited w/ off road group and switched to a Power Wagon. Limited was a great truck, wasn’t anything I disliked but….it just didn’t do anything for me. As I saw more and more Limited’s on the road it just felt like another truck. Yes it’s not as smooth to drive, eats more gas, is difficult around town etc but I’ve really enjoyed having the Power Wagon and don’t regret the decision. It just feels more special and unique to me.

100% not a legitimate reason per se to choose one over the other but you only live once. Totally get the reasoning to go either way though.

Quick

Reaction score
I’ve had my 1500 for a few weeks now, and it‘s definitely nice. Certainly not as special as the Power Wagon, for sure. But definitely more livable.

For my purposes it’s fine. It allows me to focus on my other cars.

But, I did already mod it with a lift and wheels tires. I think it turned out awesome.
B4EAA1CF-42DC-455C-BE95-9E2826938F3E.jpeg

tchur1

Reaction score
Looks great. I always thought the 1500s rode way to low from the factory, this is how they should ship.

Reaction score
Yea that shade of red w/ the night edition package or whatever it’s called look really nice. Especially w/ the lift on it, looks great!

Reaction score
Were you able to add the lift w/ the air suspension and recalibrate it or did you have to remove the system?

Last edited:

Quick

Reaction score
I added a the readylift 1.5” lift, which uses the factory air ride. It rides like a Mercedes. Amazing for a truck.

jetrinka

Reaction score
IMO the PW just offers so many benefits compared to the 1500. Everything is just built bigger and heavier which to me translates into increased longevity and toughness. I don’t require lots of off road goodies like a winch and lockers for frequent trail use but I do live in an area where winter can be cruel. We own a business that I have to get to regardless so having all the tools necessary to get where I need to be is priceless.

I don’t view my PW as my ultimate off-road toy. I view it as one of the most valuable tools in my toolbox.

el_barto

Reaction score
I agree… Its essentially "over-built." Frame, axles, brakes, engine, cooling system, transmission, transfer case, etc are all the same as on other HD trucks that work hard hauling and towing day-in, day-out. The axles and transfer case are the same as on Cummins SO, handling twice the torque the Hemi produces.

Users who are viewing this thread