Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering Leak - 2022 3500

agtcovert

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was hoping to get some pointers on a power steering leak. Same tale of woe on getting the dealer to look at my truck, I had an appointment yesterday I made over a month ago, went up there and found out they only have one diesel tech working and they wouldn't be able to diagnose until maybe end of the week. I bought the truck to use--we have plans this weekend. So, I rescheduled and said I'd just keep topping the PS reservoir off when I check, which is often.

The leak is slow. You can see drips that well up underneath the box where the pitman arm connects. From the top, looking down at the pump, there are two lines that go into the gearbox and you can see a tiny pool of fluid and debris buildup around that area because it's been wet from the fluid I presume. The lines are tight, no sign of any issues. I've had it running and watched from underneath, on top, turned the wheels lock to lock more times than I can count.

Anyone have any pointers on where to look to try and pinpoint the leak? I can post pictures later if it helps.

Thanks!

areuriding

Reaction score
Clean everything really good first, with it running look under the pump where the lines come in. I believe the lines have a rubber O ring where they go into the pump itself.

agtcovert

Reaction score
Clean everything really good first, with it running look under the pump where the lines come in. I believe the lines have a rubber O ring where they go into the pump itself.
Thanks, will check today after work. I've been waiting to clean it as I wanted the dealer to see it in the 'leaking' state, but since they can't look again until November 14, I am going to try and isolate and fix this.

I assume I'd have to disconnect the lines to check the O rings? It's strange, only 10k miles on the truck, I wonder if something just didn't get set correctly during assembly or an O ring got damaged when a line was connected.

RucRamRod

Reaction score
Hey all,

Was hoping to get some pointers on a power steering leak. Same tale of woe on getting the dealer to look at my truck, I had an appointment yesterday I made over a month ago, went up there and found out they only have one diesel tech working and they wouldn't be able to diagnose until maybe end of the week. I bought the truck to use--we have plans this weekend. So, I rescheduled and said I'd just keep topping the PS reservoir off when I check, which is often.

The leak is slow. You can see drips that well up underneath the box where the pitman arm connects. From the top, looking down at the pump, there are two lines that go into the gearbox and you can see a tiny pool of fluid and debris buildup around that area because it's been wet from the fluid I presume. The lines are tight, no sign of any issues. I've had it running and watched from underneath, on top, turned the wheels lock to lock more times than I can count.

Anyone have any pointers on where to look to try and pinpoint the leak? I can post pictures later if it helps.

Thanks
Check your hydroboost pump. Locate your brake pedal and see if there is a leak where it goes thru the firewall.... I had my seal break so they replaced the whole pump.

Razzman

Reaction score
Recently had exactly the same thing, minor drips and fluid pooling on the box, only has 15,800 on the odo. Dealer replaced the high pressure hose.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Check your hydroboost pump. Locate your brake pedal and see if there is a leak where it goes thru the firewall.... I had my seal break so they replaced the whole pump.
He said its wet at the steering box why would you tell him to check the hydro boost? You have to read more than the title on a post…

Users who are viewing this thread