Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Rebel to Power Wagon Trade Today

Randy M

Reaction score
I bought my '19 Rebel 12A in June during the Ram fire sale event. Looks like they're having another one this month and now it includes the HD Rams. A local dealer just so happens to have a PW that is almost identical to what I would order and likely would have bought if it were available under the same circumstances back in June.

I noticed that the PW has 17's whereas the Rebel has 18's and I really like the brakes on my Rebel. Are the brakes the same size on the PW?

LaneC

Reaction score
What do you mean are the brakes the same?
You're looking at two completely different trucks, one is a 3/4ton the other a 1/2 ton.
They will handle, drive, tow and generally operate completely differently.
Depending on which suspension you've got on your Rebel right now, when braking you might notice a little less tendency to dive forward and right when braking.
I notice this a lot on the air suspension Rebels. The Power Wagon is going to be a lot stiffer.
That's pretty soon to be trading. ouch.

regal2800

Reaction score
I like the power wagon way more than the Rebel. Good move. Post pics once you get it.

Randy M

Reaction score
What do you mean are the brakes the same?
You're looking at two completely different trucks, one is a 3/4ton the other a 1/2 ton.
They will handle, drive, tow and generally operate completely differently.
Depending on which suspension you've got on your Rebel right now, when braking you might notice a little less tendency to dive forward and right when braking.
I notice this a lot on the air suspension Rebels. The Power Wagon is going to be a lot stiffer.
That's pretty soon to be trading. ouch.

I should have asked whether or not the rotor diameter and caliper size is the same given the difference in wheel diameter? I've test driven both back in June but it's been a while so I figured I'd ask. Among many reasons I got out of my old Raptor was the check they gave me in trade for the Rebel, and the brakes on the Raptor were terrible. The incentives are available on the HD's now whereas they were not in June so trading now makes it a bit less painful for sure, and if I'm going to do it, now is the time.

LaneC

Reaction score
keep in mind for the 2020 you can put a Power Wagon Package on any tradesman... makes for a cool build.

Skys the limit if you build that way...

LaneC

Reaction score
  • Ram Articulink Suspension (SD1)
  • 17X8.0 Matte Black/Diamond Cut Whls (WFR)
  • Front Fog Lamps (LNJ)
  • Front Electric Winch (XE5)
  • Black Wheel Center Hub (WMB)
  • Rear Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers (SGC)
  • LT285/70R17D OWL All Terrain Tires (TW2)
  • Bright Rear Bumper (MBF)
  • Front Perf Tuned Shock Absorbers (SFC)
  • GVW Rating - 8565# (Z7M)
  • Front Disconnecting Stabilizer Bar (SHG)
  • Tow Hooks (XEA)
  • Tru-Lok Front & Rear Axles (DSE)
  • Base Engine Controller (NZE)
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield (XEF)
  • Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield (XEE)
  • Black Wheel Flares (MMZ)
  • 4.10 Axle Ratio (DMF)
  • Hill Descent Control (BNH)
  • Bright Front Bumper (MCT)
  • Rear Wheelhouse Liners (MWH)
That's one of the better values of any package available out there if you're looking for an offroad type truck. And at under $8000, its a steal.....

Westfield

Reaction score
You’re talking a 5,000lb truck vs a 7,000+ lb truck. They better not have the same brakes.

This feels like asking if Piper Cubs and B-29s have the same propellers.

If your decision on going 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton is based on your love of the brakes, I would say you don’t want a 3/4 ton. The last description I would use for my 3500 is “good braking.”

LaneC

Reaction score
You’re talking a 5,000lb truck vs a 7,000+ lb truck. They better not have the same brakes.

This feels like asking if Piper Cubs and B-29s have the same propellers.

If your decision on going 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton is based on your love of the brakes, I would say you don’t want a 3/4 ton. The last description I would use for my 3500 is “good braking.”

your going to have 6 lug rotors on the 1500 and 8 lug on the 2500, so theyre not "the same".... the 2500 is ideally going to stop better with an equal load behind it.

Westfield

Reaction score
your going to have 6 lug rotors on the 1500 and 8 lug on the 2500, so theyre not "the same".... the 2500 is ideally going to stop better with an equal load behind it.

I’ve driven my 2019 3500 and a rental 2019 1500. The 1500 stopped wayyyy faster than the 3500. I love my 3500, but the HDs are big trucks and take big truck distances to stop, and that’s okay.

LaneC

Reaction score
Theyre heavier, so unloaded sure but if you have a frontend loader behind a 1 ton and the same loader on a trailer behind a 1/2ton, the 1 ton will stop in a more civil, and im almost certain shorter distance than the 1/2 ton truck.
The suspension, tires, heavier axles, heavier transmission, and depending on the truck, heavy diesel engine are going to have a pretty massive effect on the way these things stop and handle. But the 3/4ton and 1 ton are built to stop better with a load than a 1/2 ton.

Westfield

Reaction score
People aren’t buying Power Wagons and Rebels to pull loads. OP asked if they have the same brakes. They definitely don’t, and in the likely condition that he is daily driving his truck unloaded, it would be deceptive to give the impression to him that the HD brakes better.

Obvi an HD truck can handle braking an equivalent load better than a 1500. That’s part of why the 1500 tow ratings are much lower. If you're in the Rebel or Power Wagon market you likely aren’t pulling large loads. If you panic stop an unloaded Rebel it will stop faster than the 2500. OP wants to know if a PW will stop like his Rebel. From my experience, assuming both are unloaded, it definitely will not.

LaneC

Reaction score
Could be, at highway speeds the Rebel seems to dive forward and to the right pretty heavy for me. Excellent truck, outstanding even offroad, but something to be mindful of. I dont think its any kind of defect or issue even so to speak, just the way things are weighted and how inertia works on the suspension during high speed braking. These arent by any means little light weight low to the ground racing cars....

Randy M

Reaction score
Fellas, My question stems from the weak brakes on my old Raptor compared to the Rebel I now have. That is all, I'm not anticipating it to be any certain way, I'm not considering a purchase of a PW based on the performance of the brakes alone etc. It was just a question asked that I thought may allow me some incite with the experience of current PW owners....;)

Randy M

Reaction score
what size tires did you have on the raptor?
They were the stock 35" BFG's but is common knowledge that for whatever reason the Gen II Raptors have worse brakes than the Gen I. And honestly they were bad to the point of it being quite noticeable in every day driving. Perhaps Ford made them feel the way they did from some performance advantage while desert running, Idk.

LaneC

Reaction score
Im clueless as to whats up with the Fords, Im suprised to hear that though. Youd think the raptors would have pretty HD powerful brakes.

AndyS

Reaction score
How much of a beating are you gonna take if you trade up so soon?

Randy M

Reaction score
I took a couple punches but with this months incentives it wasn't too bad. I have a PW now and real pleased to have it. The only option it has that I would not have ordered is the running boards. I'll be looking to install some White Knuckle sliders in the future. Other than that it is the exact PW I would have ordered. Maximum Steel seems to be real hard to find in a PW.

It's way too quiet though, need to research what's available as well as whether 35's or 315's are the best fit for a stock PW.

The dealer only had it for a few days as I've been stalking it for over a month for it to be delivered. Build date was 9/19 so it must have spent some time in the lot down in Saltillo but it got loaded onto a transporter.

Last edited:

LaneC

Reaction score
315 somethings... The ones that arent just super wide or anything. Ill look and see what the guy up here who has one is running, but theyre big tires and dont rub or anything...

LaneC

Reaction score
I was wrong.... I'm told a 35-12.5-17 is the right one if your running 17" wheels.
apparently a 315 is "different"
Per the Mopar Parts Dept behind me...

Users who are viewing this thread