Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible battery issue

Duneboy714

Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm camping a few weeks ago and didn't drive my truck for two days and when trying to leave I push the start button and just hear a click more of a thud.. then the truck goes back into heat up and tries again.. nothing.. 2020 ram 2500 diesel
Got the truck new in 2021... so the batteries aren't that old and show about 12v before starting..
I jumped it and it ran fine.. fast forward 5 weeks later and last night Ed and it does the same thing again..
Starter or battery?

What batteries are you guys running?
Would have thought stock batteries would last longer then 2 years

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Batteries are bad. 3-4 years is max life on most batteries these days.

Even a late build 2020 is more than 2 years old, and probably more than 3 years old.

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Yup. Batteries. Check out Costco. It’s worth getting a membership if you don’t have one. Costco has AGM interstates for almost half of what others do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unclelala

Reaction score
All they have at my Costcos is Energizer AGM $300 and the Kirkland brand AGM $190
Edit: just notice the Energizer is the same size as the Costco but the Energizer is 7 pounds heavier...that must tell ya something about the quality difference...no?

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Maybe you can order them? That’s the option I have on my end. I’ll just order them and install them myself.
61736b136594ffe7afbe827a4d26650b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All they have at my Costcos is Energizer AGM $300 and the Kirkland brand AGM $190
Edit: just notice the Energizer is the same size as the Costco but the Energizer is 7 pounds heavier...that must tell ya something about the quality difference...no?
Us and Can Costco's are majorly different in what they sell unfortunately

NoMoFord

Reaction score
Batteries are bad. 3-4 years is max life on most batteries these days.

Even a late build 2020 is more than 2 years old, and probably more than 3 years old.
Before you go replacing anything clean the terminals!

NoMoFord

Reaction score
Before you go replacing anything clean the terminals!
If you actually took them off, cleaned them, then retightened them then you’re definitely in new battery territory. Otherwise they can be tight and “look” good from the outside but still have an oxide layer causing problems.

Powerwagon46

Reaction score
Just curious what the level of voltage the batteries should have when checking them. Mine are 4 1/2 years old but have shown no signs of any issues thus far.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just curious what the level of voltage the batteries should have when checking them. Mine are 4 1/2 years old but have shown no signs of any issues thus far.
Fully charged to properly load test them

CdnHO

Reaction score
Yes I understand. But what should they read (in number of volts) when fully charged? What is normal? Thx
No load voltage is meaning less. And these darn trucks always put a slight load on them. I also think the issue with these batteries is a combination of poor battery quality and constant cycling.

steve49

Reaction score
My batteries went out around the 3 1/2 year mark, 38k miles. Went to start the truck, dash lit up, a click and nothing. Checked with my battery load tester and both showed just above 12 volt, but when I applied the load test the drivers side dropped to 11+ volts with the passenger side dropping even lower. Didn't bother with trying to charge etc. after battery issue info I've read here, bought two batteries and fired right up.

Nick

Reaction score
NAPA has good batteries .

Users who are viewing this thread