Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Factory Paint worth fixing/under warranty??

Obrracing

Reaction score
I noticed the other day (truck is less than a month old) that the factory paint on the driver side front wheel flare is messed up. Looks like either the color or the clear was put on too heavy and ran in some way. Just wondering if this would be covered by the factory warranty (and for how long) and if it is worth fixing/trusting a dealer body shop to fix it? I am pretty particular about my cars and am afraid the won‘t match the color for crap, overspray, you name it...but damn, it bugs me...so, maybe this is a partial vent too...

Tried to get a pic, but it is hard to get the angle right in the light to see it...my gut says don’t mess w/it.

Klinger

Reaction score
Mine has been in paint stage 3 weeks. Damn thing better be perfect

kmoose

Reaction score
I have 12000km on mine and it’s getting rock chips all the time, pretty disappointing. I’ve even been trying to baby it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokenhope

Reaction score
I have rock chips all over at 500km, and a grand total of 6 miles of gravel. This is by far the worst factory paint I’ve ever had. The shop that ceramic coated it also said it was the most paint correction they had to do before coating. I noticed on build sheet “vendor painted box”, and that’s definitely where it’s the worst, but it literally scratches from snow sliding off the side. The only real complaint I have about the truck so far.

tpk0999

Reaction score
I have rock chips all over at 500km, and a grand total of 6 miles of gravel. This is by far the worst factory paint I’ve ever had. The shop that ceramic coated it also said it was the most paint correction they had to do before coating. I noticed on build sheet “vendor painted box”, and that’s definitely where it’s the worst, but it literally scratches from snow sliding off the side. The only real complaint I have about the truck so far.
My 2016 had a similar problem. 40 %of my truck got repainted cause it looked like tiger stripes in the paint. I finally got her home after a repaint and that night someone decided to break into the truck and take the radio. The whole side had to repainted AGAIN within 7 days

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
If may or may not be something that'll be covered under warranty. You'll never know unless you try and that shouldn't cost you anything except some time at the dealer and/or listening to their song & dance.

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
IMHO - It should be covered. I understand your concern that it may be "repaired" and look worse. Check the reputation of the dealer body shop as well as others in your area. Yelp is a decent source for that. My local dealer farms out body work...if that's your case, find out who does their work. Decide your best course of action based on the information you gather.

Obrracing

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and sharing your stories...unfortunately I am not alone...yes, got/noticed my first rock chip behind the passenger wheel this weekend. Ordered my touch-up paint pen, so hopefully that will cover it. Looking at mudflaps to help...maybe the weathertech ones, noticed they may use factory mounts/no drilling...when i take it in for the first service, I will bring up the paint and see what happens...

litzdog911

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and sharing your stories...unfortunately I am not alone...yes, got/noticed my first rock chip behind the passenger wheel this weekend. Ordered my touch-up paint pen, so hopefully that will cover it. Looking at mudflaps to help...maybe the weathertech ones, noticed they may use factory mounts/no drilling...when i take it in for the first service, I will bring up the paint and see what happens...

There's a whole thread on splash guards here:

Users who are viewing this thread