Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polishing/smoothing the wrong side of dually wheels

gprguy

Reaction score
I'm working on powder coating some factory dually wheels and of course, from the factory one side is polished and one side is machined finish. The wheels will be sandblasted before powder coat, but I am sure the machined finish will still be plenty noticeable through the powder coat. Does anyone have some advice on the best way to smooth the machined side out before I send them off? I'm not looking to make a mirrored finish since they'll just get sandblasted anyway, but I'd like to smooth it out at least so the wheels are reversible.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm working on powder coating some factory dually wheels and of course, from the factory one side is polished and one side is machined finish. The wheels will be sandblasted before powder coat, but I am sure the machined finish will still be plenty noticeable through the powder coat. Does anyone have some advice on the best way to smooth the machined side out before I send them off? I'm not looking to make a mirrored finish since they'll just get sandblasted anyway, but I'd like to smooth it out at least so the wheels are reversible.
Sand and buff them will do but if you have a decent powder coat it will hide the machining lines usually.

gprguy

Reaction score
I was thinking the same originally, that the powder might hide it, but I was having my doubts. I may try to just smooth it down a little without going nuts. I need to strip the clear coat and fix a few small dings on the polished side anyway..

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was thinking the same originally, that the powder might hide it, but I was having my doubts. I may try to just smooth it down a little without going nuts. I need to strip the clear coat and fix a few small dings on the polished side anyway..
Really depends on how the machining lines look but most powder coated wheels have a machined finish underneath. A light glass bead or soda blast would also take the machining marks down further so powder coating will for sure cover the marks

gprguy

Reaction score
I noticed while working on my new to me wheels that one is uncoated on the inside (raw machined finish), and the other has the clear coat on the inside (although it was a front wheel, the outside is fully polished). The clear coat over the machining is pretty smooth, so I'm going to risk it and see how it turns out as is. I'll post some pictures after I get them done in case anyone else is curious.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I tried to clean the brake dust off the inside of my front wheels to rotate them to the rear and that machined surface was pretty rough. A cloth was dragging and catching on it, leaving lint on the wheel. It was impossible to get all the brake dust out of the machined surface. I wouldn't be surprised if the rough surface showed through the powder on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread