Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plug change interval?

wolfpack

Reaction score
Been hearing 30k miles. True? What’s a good plug and is there a good instructional video on how to get all 16? I’ve got a 2500 gasser at 29,900 miles.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What does your owners manual say?

The 2022 manual says manual I have says 100K miles.

mkmsr

Reaction score
They tell you 100k because they know the resistance in plugs will increase and burn up the coil packs before 100k miles and cost you 5x the plug replacement. I personally change plugs at 50k.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
They tell you 100k because they know the resistance in plugs will increase and burn up the coil packs before 100k miles and cost you 5x the plug replacement. I personally change plugs at 50k.

Are the Ram coil packs that crappy?

I only ask because my 03 4Runner has over 220K miles on the OEM coil packs and I’ve only changed the plugs twice.

mkmsr

Reaction score
Not a coil issue, it's a plug issue. As plugs deteriorate the coil has to work harder to produce the same spark as in higher amperage producing more heat wearing out the circuitry.

I don't believe it's a Ram thing. I've seen it in Ford GM and Chrysler. Mostly with high performance and trucks.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Hemi coils have never been a common problem. Certainly nothing like the coils found in the 5.4 Ford engines and their relatives - horrible things.

IIRC my manual says change the plugs every 100k or so. I may do them early. Haven't decided yet. Looking forward to removing the rear two coils on the drivers side...... Wonderful brake booster location.....

Users who are viewing this thread