Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please don't subject your engine to a K&N Air Filter

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
As far as i am concerned any company that advertises more flow without increasing the surface area of the filter is going to have less filtration…. And anyone who uses compressed air to blow out their filters trying to “clean” them is basically giving them selfs a free k&n with all the micro tears the filter will have after

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I used to run K&N on my dirt bikes years ago. They worked well until the 2000s or so. Then started seeing crap in the intakes. Not sure what changed but never again.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I used to run K&N on my dirt bikes years ago. They worked well until the 2000s or so. Then started seeing crap in the intakes. Not sure what changed but never again.

I had similar experience but with my wife's Impreza. Had an AEM dryflow panel filter in it. Checked the filter after about 10k miles and the entire intake tract was coated in very fine dust. Threw that thing away, cleaned everything and went back to a Wix. Never looked back.

Reactions: FFF

jadmt

Reaction score
why no mopar in the test...Funny thing about k&n is they only start working after they are dirty and look like they are clogged. I stopped using them when oil analysis always showed more silica with the k&n vs stock...

Reactions: FFF

RV_Goose

Reaction score
K&N Madea sense for motorcycles in the 70s, 80s and 90s. But the stock filters on stock engines have improved alot.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Already knew k&n filtered the poorest.

Two questions worth asking, I think.

A: does a little better flowing filter help at all?
B: does a little more fine particles hurt much?

I’ve always been inclined to think the answer to A was no and B was eh, maybe but not worth it if the answer to A is no.

Grayson

Reaction score
Already knew k&n filtered the poorest.

Two questions worth asking, I think.

A: does a little better flowing filter help at all?
B: does a little more fine particles hurt much?

I’ve always been inclined to think the answer to A was no and B was eh, maybe but not worth it if the answer to A is no.
Not really, most vehicles come from the factory with a CAI. Power can be had with an intake and tuning but increasing the amount of air over a certain percentage without a tune isn't going to gain a load of power that one would notice.

My above post about the S&B wasn't serious. I don't care about turbo noise. S&B does make a good looking product but sadly I don't care about showing it off.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Not really, most vehicles come from the factory with a CAI. Power can be had with an intake and tuning but increasing the amount of air over a certain percentage without a tune isn't going to gain a load of power that one would notice.

My above post about the S&B wasn't serious. I don't care about turbo noise. S&B does make a good looking product but sadly I don't care about showing it off.
They were rhetorical questions but I agree.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
The best power gain mod, (right after the "TYPE R" sticker! :D
244253414_5067851486562441_4174980819149502339_n.jpg

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I had an AFE dry filter on my 2007 Cummins. It helped some on the power. What I noticed the most is it didn't smoke as much when I had the Smarty tuned up. I liked the Smarty but I always hated the smoke.

love2build

Reaction score
I usually run an AFE dry flow filter for the reason that they are washable and reusable. I NEVER blow the filters I only wash and air dry. I have found the cost of factory filters has risen substantially and they are requiring them to be changed much more frequently. If I get a few more HP then it’s a bonus. I am really enjoying how quiet and fast these trucks have become.

Users who are viewing this thread