Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peragon Bed Cover Versus Retractable Tonneau

2500Ram

Reaction score
I am hoping to get a bed cover that somewhat rolls up to the cab. I see there are retractable covers with GATOR brand being on sale for $850-950 right now. Theres also a company called Peragon that makes a 4 panel fold up. Only issues I have with it are the need for a key to lock it (doesn't lock with tailgate being locked) and the fact that if anything is in the back of the bed you can't fold it. I can avoid leaving anything in the back of the bed but the locking part has me concerned it could be a pain. The GATOR retractable looks noisy...is it? Thoughts on these two options? Peragon pictured.full_IMG_5291.jpegfull_92CA845A-DACE-4BED-83C2-07BC4E8F7A5A.jpeg

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Ive had a peragon on my previous truck. It was ok but the cons outweighed the pros:

Pros:
-Fairly easy to take panel off when needing full bed
-Secure with minimal water intrusion

Cons:
-best of luck if stuff slides toward the cab side of the bed, you will have to crawl in retrieve because you will not be able to retract cover
-always have gloves on hand, retracting the panels requires you to push down on them, in the sun they are HOT
-Rust will develop
-panels will have to be removed to utilize full bed.

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
I've had a Peragon on my 22 PW for about 3 months. I love it. Low profile looks and works good. For $1000 you can't beat it in my opinion. Customer service is excellent. And IF it doesn't work for you, you can send it back within 100 days for a full refund and made in the USA.

Attachments

• peragon2.jpg
    peragon2.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Peragon.jpg
    Peragon.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 27

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
The only issue I had with the Peragon went I didn't buy it, I fill my bed full of stuff then close my rolling cover over it (Retrax). The Peragon looked awesome, but u couldn't open it when my bed was full, which it often is.

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. That would be an issue. I had a Retrax on my 19 GMC and it was very nice. But about $400 more. I rarely put anything in the bed. Only thing I haul is ass.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. That would be an issue. I had a Retrax on my 19 GMC and it was very nice. But about $400 more. I rarely put anything in the bed. Only thing I haul is ass.
Yeah, the ladies like to sit inside the cab not in the bed. Oh wait, you mean haul ass as in going fast...

Nick

Reaction score
I have an Extang Revolution no velcro rollup . It is very tight and low . Been on for over 2.5 years . I am very happy with it .

2500Ram

Reaction score
I was sure the Gator would be it for me (i believe same as retrax) but then Amazon took away the $100 off coupon. So now we're at $949 for the Gator. The Peragon would work for me because I use the truck to tow for work. The bed cover is simply if there is something we have to haul that is water sensitive or cannot sit on a trailer. I wouldn't be opening and closing the Peragon with the bed full to the brim just with stuff up by the tailgate but you can then push down on the cover near the cab and have it start folding. If Amazon does another $100 off before the 15th I will get the gator and if not then I will use the Peragon sale to get that one.

Sponge60

Reaction score

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
If they are basically the same price, I'd go with the Peragon. There's no downside to it. If after a couple months you decide it's not working for you send it back for a full refund and get the Gator. Make sure you keep your box you'll need to send it back in factory box or they do charge you a little for a return box

2500Ram

Reaction score
If they are basically the same price, I'd go with the Peragon. There's no downside to it. If after a couple months you decide it's not working for you send it back for a full refund and get the Gator. Make sure you keep your box you'll need to send it back in factory box or they do charge you a litI
Is the need to grab a key to unlock a pain?

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
Nah man, like you I don't carry much in the bed. What I do carry sits near the tailgate. So I don't fold it in often. But the locks work smoothly, not a hassle. I'd definitely go with the Platinum pkg, you get stainless hardware and a 3 year warranty and the clamping setup. They usually have a discount going on so its around a grand.

mgeiger72

Reaction score
I'm ordering Peragon. Only concern is stuff sliding up and not allowing it to fold (mentioned above). I'll get/make a short tool box that fit under the folded cover, yet keeps things from sliding up under and jamming things up - not my idea... seen on one of many YouTube reviews I've checked out.

Reactions: CFE

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. I think you'll be happy with it. And if your not, send it back. If your installing it yourself, make sure to watch the videos on there site, very helpful.

2500Ram

Reaction score
Wait one last question before I order Peragon now...its quiet right? No rattles and such over washboard roads or bumps?

Users who are viewing this thread