Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload and Max towing

Stefde

Reaction score
Hi, just purchased a 2022 RAM 2500 Limited Crew Cab 4x4 6,4" Rambox and I was suprise when I check my Niv on Ram website that my truck Max Towing is: 13,950 lbs and Payload: 1,816 lbs. I want tow my 12,000 lbs fifth wheel with it.

resoverlord

Reaction score
I have a 12k 5th wheel and the pin weight is 2k lbs. I went with a 3500 for this very reason.

What is the pin weight of your 5th wheel?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It written 1,498 lbs

Um, that's gonna be dry weight.

Add passengers (drive is already factored), gear, hitch, you're gonna be over.

18-20 GVWR is more realistic. A toyhauler with a full garage may be a tad lighter on the pin. My RV is 11,995 and the pin runs 2100 or so loaded up.

That said, legalities aside, lots of folks run their 2500 over payload.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
And with Rambox limited the width of the bed box of 50’’ Do you think it’s a problem?

You are limited on your hitch options and the truck hitch (and pinbox) will need to be as high as possible to clear. Many do not. Some of that depends on the pinbox frame and pinbox.

Firebird

Reaction score
It written 1,498 lbs
That will be dry weight. I bet loaded down with all camping gear, propane, batteries and any on board water you want to carry, you will be solidly north of 2000 pounds of pin weight

Stefde

Reaction score
Um, that's gonna be dry weight.

Add passengers (drive is already factored), gear, hitch, you're gonna be over.

18-20 GVWR is more realistic. A toyhauler with a full garage may be a tad lighter on the pin. My RV is 11,995 and the pin runs 2100 or so loaded up.

That said, legalities aside, lots of folks run their 2500 over payload.
I had a F-150 Ecoboost 3,5L, so I’m sure I’ll see the difference qui my Ram 2500.

Lift89

Reaction score
2500 with air bags installed would probably give you the most comfortable ride while not towing yet still bump up your payload a little bit to help with the payload.

That’s What I have. Getting the air lift with compressor installed. They are 5k bags. That will level out my 5th wheel and give it the added support it needs for suspension. My max towing is just shy of 19k. So adding bags will be perfect and I’ll still have 4K lbs left to add for total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stefde

Reaction score
Finally got My new Ram 3500 Laramie Sport edition. Everything is perfect, Payload is close to 4k lbs and Max towing of 19000lbs. What thing I was surprised to see, or not see I should say, is I don't have the Navigation option and all the phone options with unconnect app.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
Finally got My new Ram 3500 Laramie Sport edition. Everything is perfect, Payload is close to 4k lbs and Max towing of 19000lbs. What thing I was surprised to see, or not see I should say, is I don't have the Navigation option and all the phone options with unconnect app.
are those options you requested or came with the truck?
on the payload there is a website that will confirm based on VIN. and there is also a thread that you can share and check payload details.

Stefde

Reaction score
are those options you requested or came with the truck?
on the payload there is a website that will confirm based on VIN. and there is also a thread that you can share and check payload details.
Came with the truck.

Stefde

Reaction score
Is it something I can order and add?

QuattroCS

Reaction score
Is it something I can order and add?
Prelim answer is yes/most likely depending on how far down the rabbit hole.
there should already be some posts in the appropriate categories covering this. Head-unit with and without navigation, may be a swap and components needed.

for the Mobile options on the app it needs cellular and odb connection, i could not locate the posting in question and i am not sure how the system interact when being swapped or added to a vehicle, there is also a subscription that is needed in order to have access to said features. - This one the dealer may be the most adequate to answer.

@Brutal_HO or @Jimmy07 may be able to further assist or clarify your question.

Users who are viewing this thread