Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay load question

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to order a 3500 after talking to different people on here. I wish it was just a $1000. When I priced it out it was saying it's about $4500. I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for your advise I appreciate it.

I don’t know what cab/bed/trim you’re looking at but the base price increase on a CC SB Laramie is $1975 for a 2500 to a 3500.

The 3500 gets the limited slip standard, which is a $495 option on the 2500. If that’s on your build list then the increase is really only $1480.

areuriding

Reaction score
Thank you for your advise. Yes I do believe that I will be ordering a 3500. Better to be safe than sorry. That's why I came on here to get some options. Hate like heck to spend 67,000 and not have the right equipment.
Get a 3500 and you'll never have a worry. The ideal setup for a 5th wheel would be a 3500 dually diesel.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Where does it end? Come on PW owners, chime in. Then the 1500 owners will chime in please.
Seriously, I am totally in support of go bigger. But you can talk yourself into a 5500 if you want to, just got to be realistic about what you will tow, how often, what circumstances. Anecdotal: the delivery guys at my local RV dealership use F250 gassers exclusively to deliver triple axle toy haulers and RVs to customers nationwide. Can they, should they, do they? Would I buy a used truck from them, lol naw.
20220731-MEME.jpg

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
IIRC my SRW '19 Mega 4x4 w/ Cummins/Aisin had a payload just a few pounds shy of #4k. A SRW CC should have a slight boost in payload over the Mega. Keep in mind that you also have to factor in the weight of the hitch, passengers, fuel (tank size), luggage, etc for payload deductions.

Darkside

Reaction score
Which one is it...I must know. :D
It’s an older model Pilgrim, the guy I bought it off of got it from a dealer (large chain) and was pulling it with his 4th gen 1500. He said the dealer told him it was a perfect match for his truck…… hahaha…. He had it for 6 months and was to afraid to pull it…

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
IIRC my SRW '19 Mega 4x4 w/ Cummins/Aisin had a payload just a few pounds shy of #4k. A SRW CC should have a slight boost in payload over the Mega. Keep in mind that you also have to factor in the weight of the hitch, passengers, fuel (tank size), luggage, etc for payload deductions.
I'm not saying you don't remember correctly, but I'm just saying that a SRW megacab and with the Cummins very likely did NOT have a 4k lb. payload. Not with those particular options.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm not saying you don't remember correctly, but I'm just saying that a SRW megacab and with the Cummins very likely did NOT have a 4k lb. payload. Not with those particular options.
On the 2500 gvwr is actually 12k not the 10k payload lies they put so he is not wrong depending on options

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

It very likely did have one just shy of 4K as he mentioned. Pretty easy to do with a 12,300 GVWR.

A fully loaded limited MC SRW 3500 HO, with every option (5th wheel prep vs ram boxes) has a factory payload over 3,700. So it’s not hard to have a MC HO with a higher payload.

Couple minute search to find a HO and I’d say this qualifies as just shy of 4K.

ABD2AFFD-FF08-4395-AC98-908DF2B4CCCD.jpeg

It’s not light on options.

Last edited:

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I know you've made your decision, but I'd like to help you feel justified going with the 3500. I have hauled and towed my whole adult life, everything from livestock to dump trailers to heavy equipment to campers and 5th wheels. I've done it with 2500's and 3500's (and somewhat larger vehicles), and 3500's are far and away more suited to the task, more comfortable, and safer. Yeah, they're more expensive, but that only hurts once up front. And the best configuration includes the diesel engine and Aisin transmission. Good luck with your purchase and happy hauling!

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
It very likely did have one just shy of 4K as he mentioned. Pretty easy to do with a 12,300 GVWR.

A fully loaded limited MC SRW 3500 HO, with every option (5th wheel prep vs ram boxes) has a factory payload over 3,700. So it’s not hard to have a MC HO with a higher payload.

Couple minute search to find a HO and I’d say this qualifies as just shy of 4K.

View attachment 53402

It’s not light on options.

Only he had a 2500 not a 3500.

Screenshot_20230316_142318_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

payload_frustration

Reaction score
I know you've made your decision, but I'd like to help you feel justified going with the 3500. I have hauled and towed my whole adult life, everything from livestock to dump trailers to heavy equipment to campers and 5th wheels. I've done it with 2500's and 3500's (and somewhat larger vehicles), and 3500's are far and away more suited to the task, more comfortable, and safer. Yeah, they're more expensive, but that only hurts once up front. And the best configuration includes the diesel engine and Aisin transmission. Good luck with your purchase and happy hauling!
Thank you for your advise. I decided to go with the 3500 better to be safe than sorry.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
I had a moment to pull the file on it and dig out RAM's numbers. I likely have the CAT scale ticket on hard copy in a file for actual weight with full fuel, DEF, hitch, etc.

Attachments

• PayloadTow.JPG
    PayloadTow.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 16

payload_frustration

Reaction score
I had a moment to pull the file on it and dig out RAM's numbers. I likely have the CAT scale ticket on hard copy in a file for actual weight with full fuel, DEF, hitch, etc.
Thank you for the information. I have decided to go with the Tradesman 3500 with an 8 foot box. And of course the dealership couldn't tell me what the payload was after everything was added to it. But I am sure the 3500 will give me the payload that I need.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I have decided to go with the Tradesman 3500 with an 8 foot box. And of course the dealership couldn't tell me what the payload was after everything was added to it. But I am sure the 3500 will give me the payload that I need.

It will likely be right around 4K, depending on what options you picked.

Users who are viewing this thread