Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passenger seatbelt chime / airbag system warning / SOS service not available

MegaStro

Reaction score
A few weeks back (January 29th) my wife and I were driving on the interstate and I kept getting a fast chime indicating a problem/failure but never saw it on the dashboard. Smooth highway and nothing but the general "Cummins" vibrations. Over the next week it did not do anything and the truck acted as expected. The following Saturday (February 6th) while we were going to the local store the chime started agian and I realized its the Passenger Seatbelt monitor acting like it was not latched but it was in all the way and locked down. I saw the warning on the dash this time and noted what it was telling me.

Fast forward to today with a truck load of folks heading to lunch and the gremlin strikes again.

First it started with the seatbelt chime going off again and indicating the passenger (front) did not have the seatbelt latched. Verified the seatbelt and it was indeed latched but the chime comes and goes, again on a smooth stretch of road.

After a few minutes of the chiming coming and going the passenger light stayed on. I had the passenger unbuckle and raise off the seat and everything cleared. Once he sat back down and fastened the seatbelt it started chiming again. Then it got worse....

The service airbag system (or something to that fact) came up and threw the airbag warning indicator on the dash. The Uconnect then showed the SOS system was unavailable.

I am going to have to schedule something to get this looked at but realized that the 90% of the time I am driving alone with no passenger this is not happening.

To say I was embarrassed about my $85k truck is an under statement and now I may be without it for a bit is even worse. Hopefully it a recall, software, or TSB of some sort that has been worked out already.

Maybe my Megacab was designed to only have the driver in it and no passengers.... I welcome any input as I drive this truck 70+ miles a day

Any ideas?

@RamCares

tyler2you

Reaction score
Could be the sensor in the seat belt receptacle or the passenger occupancy sensor in the seat malfunctioning. I had a 2017 Accord that had what sounds like a similar issue. It was a pretty quick/easy fix. They said the magnetic latch sensor in the receptacle had failed. I had to wait a couple of weeks for a part and they advised me that I shouldn't have a front seat passenger since the airbag might not work in a crash. I'd definitely get it checked out.

MegaStro

Reaction score
Could be the sensor in the seat belt receptacle or the passenger occupancy sensor in the seat malfunctioning. I had a 2017 Accord that had what sounds like a similar issue. It was a pretty quick/easy fix. They said the magnetic latch sensor in the receptacle had failed. I had to wait a couple of weeks for a part and they advised me that I shouldn't have a front seat passenger since the airbag might not work in a crash. I'd definitely get it checked out.
Tyler, I was thinking along tht line until the SOS and airbag system indicated failures. I am going to get something scheduled soon, I hate intermittent issues and they will have to have two people to recreate the fault... Good times running my fuel out I suppose ;)

tyler2you

Reaction score
Tyler, I was thinking along tht line until the SOS and airbag system indicated failures. I am going to get something scheduled soon, I hate intermittent issues and they will have to have two people to recreate the fault... Good times running my fuel out I suppose ;)
Yeah, that's weird. All the other symptoms sound related, but the SOS system unavailability is an odd one. Probably one of those multitude of chips that they're trying to crank out at warp speed . . .

tyler2you

Reaction score
On my list of things when I get home, I will post if it does anything but will need to find a passenger to test.
May want to check any ground wires/cables you can see. I've seen some strange things happen with an intermittent ground.

MegaStro

Reaction score
So today it was all good driving to work (empty passenger seat). I offered to drive to lunch again with some folks from work and boom, the same symptoms came back. The fuses were loose but not the cause at this point. Scheduling with dealership.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
A few weeks back (January 29th) my wife and I were driving on the interstate and I kept getting a fast chime indicating a problem/failure but never saw it on the dashboard. Smooth highway and nothing but the general "Cummins" vibrations. Over the next week it did not do anything and the truck acted as expected. The following Saturday (February 6th) while we were going to the local store the chime started agian and I realized its the Passenger Seatbelt monitor acting like it was not latched but it was in all the way and locked down. I saw the warning on the dash this time and noted what it was telling me.

Fast forward to today with a truck load of folks heading to lunch and the gremlin strikes again.

First it started with the seatbelt chime going off again and indicating the passenger (front) did not have the seatbelt latched. Verified the seatbelt and it was indeed latched but the chime comes and goes, again on a smooth stretch of road.

After a few minutes of the chiming coming and going the passenger light stayed on. I had the passenger unbuckle and raise off the seat and everything cleared. Once he sat back down and fastened the seatbelt it started chiming again. Then it got worse....

The service airbag system (or something to that fact) came up and threw the airbag warning indicator on the dash. The Uconnect then showed the SOS system was unavailable.

I am going to have to schedule something to get this looked at but realized that the 90% of the time I am driving alone with no passenger this is not happening.

To say I was embarrassed about my $85k truck is an under statement and now I may be without it for a bit is even worse. Hopefully it a recall, software, or TSB of some sort that has been worked out already.

Maybe my Megacab was designed to only have the driver in it and no passengers.... I welcome any input as I drive this truck 70+ miles a day

Any ideas?

@RamCares
Hi,
Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Ram Cares

MegaStro

Reaction score
17 March is the soonest I can get the rental (under warranty) so I told the wife she can ride with me but we have to go Saudi style, she laughed and then remembered what that meant (back right seat). She said we will drive the Jeep if we need to be together. Who would have thought the truck would get between us?

MegaStro

Reaction score
Come on March 17th! This is crazy for carrying a passenger, wife wonders if its just a jealous truck.... @RamCares need to look at the rental vehicle situation, I have a feeling I am giving up my truck for something other than a truck. Thank god for MAXCAREAir Bag Alert.JPG

MegaStro

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted on this. The problem appears to have been corrected by replacing the Seatbelt latch mechanism on the passenger seat. The codes were stored in the computer and everything was tied to a fault indicating a short to ground near the mount. The technician stated the short was happening against the seat frame. That explained why it stopped error when I moved the seat to inspect it, I tensioned the cable again and it was not shorting.

Glad its solved!

Flyr282

Reaction score
Been having almost the same issues with my truck. I get one for the driver seatbelt unbuckled, service airbag and auto park disabled. They told me it was the battery and replaced it the first time then the second time they said it was the push to start button. I’m leaning more towards something in the seat since it will Al clear when I unbuckle/rebuckle the drivers seat belt.

Bgbrix3

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted on this. The problem appears to have been corrected by replacing the Seatbelt latch mechanism on the passenger seat. The codes were stored in the computer and everything was tied to a fault indicating a short to ground near the mount. The technician stated the short was happening against the seat frame. That explained why it stopped error when I moved the seat to inspect it, I tensioned the cable again and it was not shorting.

Glad its solved!
Sorry to resurrect this. What year/model is your truck? I have a 2020 350 DRW HO and there is no alarm for outboard front passenger belt not latched. I swear it used to chime, and took it today to the dealer. They called and said that there is not an alert for the passenger. I cannot believe that is not a safety standard in all newer vehicles.
@RamCares

Anyone have info on this?

VIN 3C63RRKL8LG291269

Thank you!
R/
BGB

Users who are viewing this thread