Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painted Grill Surround?

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Has anyone painted the pieces surrounding the grill (not the grill itself) to match the body color? I had a Laramie 2500 and liked the paint-matched surrounds - now that I’m planning to order a 2023 PW, I’m thinking of having them painted to match the body, but curious to see if anyone has done this before? If so, would love to see pics/

Desertfox73

Reaction score
if its anything other than black, don't paint it. It will chip unless you PPF it.. and it will look goofy on a PW.
I always have a touch-up kit for things like that, anyway. The surrounds on my 2021 PXL never got chipped so I never had to deal with it, fortunately.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
if its anything other than black, don't paint it. It will chip unless you PPF it.. and it will look goofy on a PW.
Should not chip if you keep a safe following distance…

if you ride peoples @$$ then yea its likely gonna chip

Greenhills

Reaction score
Should not chip if you keep a safe following distance…

if you ride peoples @$$ then yea its likely gonna chip
Dumb post.

85% of my roads out here are single lane road. You get peppered passing oncoming traffic.

Some one pulls infront of you, your following distance is gone.

Sanding truck goes by in winter, your catching a few rocks.

It adds up.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Fwiw
Two body shops told me they wouldn’t paint over the chrome because it wouldn’t last. I tried wrapping it and failed miserably.

Decided to Plasti-dip it and that lasted well over a year with no chips, faded a little so I re-did it with hyper-dip which I think is a better product.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dumb post.

85% of my roads out here are single lane road. You get peppered passing oncoming traffic.

Some one pulls infront of you, your following distance is gone.

Sanding truck goes by in winter, your catching a few rocks.

It adds up.
90% of our roads are single lane and we have ore hauling trucks that chip windshields all the time also lots of salt trucks but never any chips in the grill/bumper…

kkerley

Reaction score
Fwiw
Two body shops told me they wouldn’t paint over the chrome because it wouldn’t last. I tried wrapping it and failed miserably.

Decided to Plasti-dip it and that lasted well over a year with no chips, faded a little so I re-did it with hyper-dip which I think is a better product.
was the wrap failure user error or short comings of the wrap? I am not trying to insult your wrapping ability only asking because I have considered doing the same in case I wanted to return to chrome.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
was the wrap failure user error or short comings of the wrap? I am not trying to insult your wrapping ability only asking because I have considered doing the same in case I wanted to return to chrome.
Absolutely was my inability. I didn’t have the patience to learn that particular skill.

For what it’s worth, dips such as hyperdip or plasti dip peel off clean as well.

Enve46

Reaction score
Why not buy a Laramie sport grill and paint it to match? You'll have to heavily sand the plastic and even do a light skim of bondo to get it to stick. I know this coming from TRX's... My shop I use did a few of them and it costs a **** ton due to the prep work involved.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
I would go this route if I did it, my shop would only have to install it. Not cheap, but it’s a $72k truck so another $1200 isn’t a big deal.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Why not buy a Laramie sport grill and paint it to match? You'll have to heavily sand the plastic and even do a light skim of bondo to get it to stick. I know this coming from TRX's... My shop I use did a few of them and it costs a **** ton due to the prep work involved.
Might be easier to use these guys: https://www.paintedoemparts.com/

Users who are viewing this thread